Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS requirement for native English speakers

IELTS requirement for native English speakers

Old May 5th 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IELTS requirement for native English speakers

Originally Posted by newjersey
"someone" must have been misinformed, the source says nothing about it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm

UK passports issued by High Commissions overseas have no right of abode and receive different treatment for migration purposes.

NJ
It does not related to High Commissions overseas or not, because even British Citizen passport can issued in High Commissions overseas, or British Oversea Citizen issued in UK.

But even until now, DIAC still nothing offical source about it, and it is very irresponsibility.
Old May 5th 2009, 6:47 am
Just Joined

zaheer642 is an unknown quantity at this point

DIAC still not cleared about it
Old May 5th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by zaheer642
DIAC still not cleared about it
Yes, it made too much consufion and cause some UK passport holders fall into the trap
Old May 5th 2009, 7:00 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immigrants
Yes, it made too much consufion and cause some UK passport holders fall into the trap
If English is ur native language and u hold one of the above passports then it's ok to do IELTS after lodgement of visa. The IELTS exam is to test English competency, some people are more competent than others I guess thus them gaining the 15 points before even doing the IELTS. It's very clear cut from what I've read?!
Old May 5th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
If English is ur native language and u hold one of the above passports then it's ok to do IELTS after lodgement of visa. The IELTS exam is to test English competency, some people are more competent than others I guess thus them gaining the 15 points before even doing the IELTS. It's very clear cut from what I've read?!
Even a native English speaker, if his/her UK passport has no right to abode in UK, he/she still need to attend IELTS according to minister instrument (Minister instrument is internal guideline which is not open to public), however in DIAC website, it written that "UK passport can exempt IELTS"

It is very unclear because DIAC do not clear specify what is the meaning of "UK passport" in DIAC website but it was very details specified in minister instrument.

If you say we can take IELTS, I would like to ask, then why DIAC able applicant exempt IELTS? Is that a rubbish arrangment? Why don't put it simple, everyone need to attend IELTS?

Last edited by immigrants; May 5th 2009 at 7:57 am.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Even a native English speaker, if his/her UK passport has no right to abode in UK, he/she still need to attend IELTS according to minister instrument (Minister instrument is internal guideline which is not open to public), however in DIAC website, it written that "UK passport can exempt IELTS"

It is very unclear because DIAC do not clear specify what is the meaning of "UK passport" in DIAC website but it was very details specified in minister instrument.

If you say we can take IELTS, I would like to ask, then why DIAC able applicant exempt IELTS? Is that a rubbish arrangment? Why don't put it simple, everyone need to attend IELTS?
Whatever problems/issues u have over the IELTS exam, I suggest you take them up with DIAC...I'm not a representative of any Government body, so can not give you any answers! So knock yourself out and email/phone DIAC for the answers to your questions!

Have you done the IELTS exam?!
Old May 5th 2009, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure who would have a UK passport but no right to abode in UK, but I can only imagine it is an extremely small proportion. So the rule of thumb, UK passport means no IELTS works in the overwhelming majority of cases.

The IELTS test is to ensure competent English, a native English speaker, holder of UK passport is going to have this already. I assume DIAC are applying some common sense.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:32 am
Just Joined

ping115 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, and don't be surprised if you've to wait til about July to do it...

If however you wanted to submit your visa application meanwhile, then upload the IELTS result when you get it, that is ok for someone who already has the 15 points due to their UK etc passport!

I lodged my visa application in Feb but did the IELTS in March, only submitting the IELTS result in April when it came through! So if you wanted to 'get in the queue' visa wise, that's one way of doing it!

Jen
why did you have to take the exam?
Old May 5th 2009, 9:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by ping115
why did you have to take the exam?
I took the IELTS due to my losing out on 10 points because I'm 32, so in doing the exam, I earned those 10 points back, KERCHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG LOL
Old May 5th 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

I took the IELTS due to my losing out on 10 points because I'm 32, so in doing the exam, I earned those 10 points back, KERCHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG LOL
.you are on line..glad to see you . I'm old as well as you....It's very difficult for me to get four band 7 because I'm not a native speaker. ..difficult..difficult....by the way.what's the meanning of LOL?.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:43 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

.you are on line..glad to see you . I'm old as well as you....It's very difficult for me to get four band 7 because I'm not a native speaker. ..difficult..difficult....by the way.what's the meanning of LOL?.
Laugh out loud....

The exam was taxing enough, but if you study then you'll be fine! I studied like mad the week running up to the exam and got 9, 9, 9, and 8.5 - 9 overall! I was very happy!!!!

I'm online because I'm doing 'assessment' work at home today, though obviously I've not started yet lol
Old May 5th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Laugh out loud....

The exam was taxing enough, but if you study then you'll be fine! I studied like mad the week running up to the exam and got 9, 9, 9, and 8.5 - 9 overall! I was very happy!!!!

I'm online because I'm doing 'assessment' work at home today, though obviously I've not started yet lol
see u..I'm leaving from work..
Old May 5th 2009, 9:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

see u..I'm leaving from work..
Byesy byesssssssssssss lol
Old May 5th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Whatever problems/issues u have over the IELTS exam, I suggest you take them up with DIAC...I'm not a representative of any Government body, so can not give you any answers! So knock yourself out and email/phone DIAC for the answers to your questions!

Have you done the IELTS exam?!
I'm blaming DIAC and I'm not yet attend IELTS
Old May 5th 2009, 10:42 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

I'm blaming DIAC and I'm not yet attend IELTS
K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.