115 points?

Old Jul 20th 2002, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

TomK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 115 points?

I'm thinking about studying for an IT graduate diploma in Australia and then hopefully stay. I've looked at the points test and came to the following calculation:

Skill: 60 p
Age (30-34): 25 p
English: 20 p
Australian qualifications (the graduate diploma): 5 p
Bonus points (Swedish language): 5 p
----------------
115 p

Is there anything wrong with this? Especially the last two 5 points?
Old Jul 20th 2002, 3:47 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 115 points?

Tom,

Are you mother tongue Swedish? If so, I think it might be just a formality to get the 5 points for Swedish, otherwise I think you have to do a translator's exam - no matter how fluent you might be - worth doing a search on this forum as the question often arises and the 5 points are no breeze, apparently.

If you're mother tongue Swedish, are you also bilingual in English?

All th best
Old Jul 20th 2002, 4:12 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by newstartnz
Are you mother tongue Swedish?
Having a community language as one's mother tongue does not attract the 5 bonus points. The Migration Booklet clearly states that there are only two possible routes to claim the 5 bonus points:

1) Have completed a qualification equal to an Aussie bachelor degree in the community language, and can document this. Note that if this is so, an IELTS test is almost certainly needed to prove English proficiency.

2) Undertake and pass a NAATI-administered interpreter/translator level 3 test for the specific community language. http://www.naati.com.au/

Rgds,
Peter
Old Jul 20th 2002, 4:53 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Yo, I stand corrected, and Tom I guess Peter said it all, getting those 5 points will be tough unless you did a degtree in Swedish language and have English as a 2nd language.

Peter - what if the applicant is bilingual because he has one parent from Sweden, one from UK and speaks both languages perfectly? Couldn't he claim to be mother tongue in the language of the country where he was mainly brought up but claim community language for his other mother tongue? This was the situation I was envisaging for Tom, thinking of what applied for my long-ago Anglo-Swedish exgirlfriend whose linguistic ability was exactly that.

Last edited by newstartnz; Jul 20th 2002 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

I'm Swedish. So I'll have to do the IELTS. I have a degree from Sweden, three years, called University Diploma, which always makes me nervous when dealing with migration issues because it sounds lower than Bachelor. A Bachelor in Sweden always has to have a thesis (more of an honours degree). Without it it’s a Diploma. So perhaps that would confuse DIMA. Swinburne University, though, accepted me to the graduate course so hopefully that means that my three year university diploma is equivalent to an Australian bachelors. And then I'd have the 5 points.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

And where are my manners.. Thank you all for replying! I'm new here, but have been considering moving to Australia for some years. This board really seems to be the best place to get more information. Thanks again!

Tom
Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TomK
So perhaps that would confuse DIMA.
Nothing to worry about. DIMIA refers to the Country Education Profile (CEP) http://www.dest.gov.au/noosr/cep/index.htm of each applicant's country of education to determine the relative standing of the applicant's educational credentials. The name of your academic qualification is quite insignificant.

For example, an Indian or Pakistani university bachelor degree is commonly equated to an Australian diploma. You may wish to purchase the CEP for Sweden, to get an insight to how Australia views Swedish university diplomas.

newstartnz, as it's been repeatedly pointed out, the Migration Booklet states in no uncertain terms how the 5 points can be claimed. Simply saying a community language is one's mother tongue and that you're proficient in it is of no relevance, as DIMIA will only accept the two methods of proof that I've mentioned earlier.

If you read the Migration Booklet carefully, you will realize that if you undertake a NAATI level 3 interpreter or translator test and manage to pass it, you score both the skills points for the interpretr/translator occupation *and* the 5 bonus points for community language proficiency. So, two birds for the price of one stone.

Tom, if you did a search on "community language" or "naati" in this newsgroup's archives, you will unearth more than a few articles of interest.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 21st 2002, 4:20 am
Jaj

If you are thinking about applying for onshore PR following a graduate diploma, then
you should be aware that there is a proposal in place to increase the required time
spent as a student in Australia from 1 to 2 years.
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...02030_att5.htm

It's just a proposal at this stage, and there is no information on whether it's
introduction would include a clause exempting existing Australian students.
Nevertheless it is important to be aware that if migration is the main reason for
studying in Australia, that the rules can change between commencing a course and
being eligible to actually apply.

Jeremy

>On 20 Jul 2002 16:20:10 GMT, TomK <[email protected]> wrote: I'm thinking
    >about studying for an IT graduate diploma in Australia and then hopefully stay. I've
    >looked at the points test and came to the following calculation:
    >
    >
    >Skill: 60 p Age (30-34): 25 p English: 20 p Australian qualifications (the graduate
    >diploma): 5 p Bonus points (Swedish language): 5 p
    >
    >115 p
    >
    >
    >Is there anything wrong with this? Especially the last two 5 points?
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 7:20 am
Al

hi, i am also thinking of doing the language test but i heard that the passing rate
for that is very very low. any solid source of the passing rate pls?

thanks

al

"TomK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking about studying for an IT graduate diploma in Australia and then
    > hopefully stay. I've looked at the points test and came to the following
    > calculation:
    >
    >
    > Skill: 60 p Age (30-34): 25 p English: 20 p Australian qualifications (the graduate
    > diploma): 5 p Bonus points (Swedish language): 5 p
    >
    > 115 p
    >
    >
    > Is there anything wrong with this? Especially the last two 5 points?
    >
    >
    >
    > --