British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   How long does the citizenship application take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/how-long-does-citizenship-application-take-704651/)

iNBETWEENER Feb 9th 2011 12:28 pm

How long does the citizenship application take?

Hiya, wondering if anyone can give me some info... I have recently got my PR, and am thinking of waiting around for another year for my citizenship.

Can anyone give me an idea on how long the whole thing takes to come through?

By that I mean (and correct me if i'm wrong):

- how long a wait for the test (and can you book it in so you take it as soon as you have passed the eligibility time period or do you have to wait?)

- how long a wait for processing after you've done the test?

- how long a wait for a citizenship ceremony (do you need to do the ceremony to be a citizen?)

I assume you can apply for your passport straight away from here?

Also, are there any implications for leaving Australia for a period after getting citizenship?

have i missed anything? Would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Sherlock Holmes Feb 9th 2011 12:41 pm

Re: How long does the citizenship application take?

Originally Posted by iNBETWEENER (Post 9164094)
Hiya, wondering if anyone can give me some info... I have recently got my PR, and am thinking of waiting around for another year for my citizenship.

Depends where you are to a great extent. It can come back (the appointment) in a week. Mine was about ten days. You can change it to later if you can't make the appointment given.

- how long a wait for the test (and can you book it in so you take it as soon as you have passed the eligibility time period or do you have to wait?)
As above. You can apply online on the 4th anniversary of your qualifying residence.

DIAC then send your successful status to your local shire or council. Mine was about 3 weeks. Some places you have to wait until Australia Day (Jan 26th) and have the ceremony with about 2,000 other people.

- how long a wait for a citizenship ceremony (do you need to do the ceremony to be a citizen?)
As above and yes you have to attend the ceremony. You will not become a citizen until you attend the ceremony

Yes.

Also, are there any implications for leaving Australia for a period after getting citizenship?
No.

have i missed anything? Would really appreciate your advice.
Don't think so.

goldchoccycoin Feb 10th 2011 1:17 am

www.citizenship.gov.au has the answers too!

moneypenny20 Feb 10th 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted by iNBETWEENER (Post 9164094)

From a matter of days to a matter of months depending on when and where you apply

One or two weeks generally

From a matter of weeks to a matter of months depending what council you go through. Shouldn't take more than 3 months but frequently does.

As soon as you have your Certificate in your hands you can apply

If you leave the country after getting Citizenship you must have an Australian passport. I was able to get out and back with just my Certificate and UK passport 3+ years ago but that was because I had to leave the country within 48 hours of the Ceremony and I had to answer a few questions on arrival back. I was also very lucky not to be questioned on leaving the UK. The airline 'could' have refused to carry me. You can get a passport in 48 hours if you have to so no excuse not to. My trip was planned long before my Ceremony and I went through hoops getting the right info before I flew.

Once you have the passport, the world is your oyster, you can come and go as you wish. If you have dual nationality, you can also leave Australia on the Australian Passport and arrive at your original home country with the passport of that country and then the same coming back again.