Working holiday work right

Old Oct 6th 2016, 9:49 am
Just Joined

jav007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday work right

I want to go on working holiday for about 10 months in Auckland, but I have heard that you can only work for only employer for 3 months, is that right? or is it 12 months?

Can you work full time for one employer for 12 months, because I want to get the employer to help me with one month accommodation until I find my feet. I am electrical engineer so there is plenty of work for me.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 10:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday work right

You can work in any employment you like, as long as:

you don’t work for more than 12 months
you don’t get a permanent job
the work you do is legal
you don’t provide commercial sexual services
you don’t run or invest in a business that provides commercial sexual services.
You can work the 12 months all at once or break it up during your stay.

taken from: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...g-holiday-visa
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Would the OP not also need registration to do any work as an electrical engineer which on a WHV seems lot of extra effort ? http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/training-and-qualifications/requirements-by-class/electrical-engineers/
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if he wants to work in that profession Yes.
but most people just do casual work to holiday around the two islands
Old Oct 7th 2016, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jav007
I want to go on working holiday for about 10 months in Auckland, but I have heard that you can only work for only employer for 3 months, is that right? or is it 12 months?

Can you work full time for one employer for 12 months, because I want to get the employer to help me with one month accommodation until I find my feet. I am electrical engineer so there is plenty of work for me.
Assuming you are applying for the UK version then you can work for 12 months on either the 12 month or 23 month WHV.
Depending on country of origin some people can only work for a maximum of 3 months per employer but as I said if you are of UK origin you'll be fine.
You have to meet the other requirements as listed.

You cannot work as an electrical engineer unless you are professionally registered through the EWRB of NZ. You must at least get in touch, provide qualifications and work experience for their assessment and they will then tell you what you need to do in order to become registered in NZ (maybe limited registration) which will be what you need in order to work. May be time and cost prohibitive ? May cost you hundreds of $'s for the assessment and to become registered. You'll most certainly need a current health & safety course and you may have to take an exam or two here before you get the registration ?
For 12 months work I'd question whether it's worth it.