Residency with a Criminal Record

Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

paulmountford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency with a Criminal Record

Hi There,
Me and my wife and 2 little ones have been thinking about moving to NZ we met there but came to the UK around 15 years ago. My job is on the long term skills shortage list and my wife has a degree in the field she works in. The problem is I have a criminal record. Some really silly things like drunk and disorderly over 20 years ago. But also I was involved in a fight just over 10 years ago now that resulted in a affray charge and a 8 month prison sentence 10 years on its all a bit embarrassing.

I know this will seriously affect the chances of getting in, but is it still worth a try or would I be just wasting my money. I was told by a immigration agent that you won't told no until you've gone through the whole process.

I would like to hear from anyone who did it with a record or anyone who got refused because of it.

Many Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2018, 1:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency with a Criminal Record

Good Character requirements:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...good-character

"Good character - residence
To apply for a resident or permanent resident visa, you must be of good character.

Applicants for all visas must be of good character, not pose a security risk and not threaten New Zealand’s international reputation.

People with serious character issues can’t be granted any visa or entry permission, except in very special circumstances.

People with other character issues must have the good character requirement waived before they can be granted residence.

Serious character issues
You can't be granted a visa if you:

have ever been convicted of an offence for which you were sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 5 years or more
have been convicted in the last 10 years of an offence for which you were sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or longer"

It comes down to case by case decision so you will not get a definitive answer to this question until you apply and get a case officer on your application.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 5th 2018 at 1:25 am.