Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand / Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 24th 2017, 8:48 am   #1
Matt2 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Matt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for NZ still working for UK company?

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to move out to Wellington with my girlfriend. If possible i would like to carry on working for the company i currently work for (small but growing software company) who are based in London, at least at first. I've been trying to figure out what possibilities there are, but information is very limited.

My company would be willing to set up a branch office in NZ, but I can't find a visa that would allow me to do that. The entrepreneur visa seems to be more suited for setting up entirely new companies.

Another option may be to go for a "specific purpose" visa, but it's unclear whether this situation would qualify?

I'm also currently 27, so i could get a working holiday visa to start with, but i'm unsure whether i would be allowed to work full time for a UK company with that?

Or i guess the final option is a skilled migrant residency visa?

Thank you to anyone who can help clear this up for me, i've been having real difficulty!!
Matt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 9:21 am   #2
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,053
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for NZ still working for UK company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2 View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to move out to Wellington with my girlfriend. If possible i would like to carry on working for the company i currently work for (small but growing software company) who are based in London, at least at first. I've been trying to figure out what possibilities there are, but information is very limited.

My company would be willing to set up a branch office in NZ, but I can't find a visa that would allow me to do that. The entrepreneur visa seems to be more suited for setting up entirely new companies.

Another option may be to go for a "specific purpose" visa, but it's unclear whether this situation would qualify?

I'm also currently 27, so i could get a working holiday visa to start with, but i'm unsure whether i would be allowed to work full time for a UK company with that?

Or i guess the final option is a skilled migrant residency visa?

Thank you to anyone who can help clear this up for me, i've been having real difficulty!!
Sorry. Not trying to put a dampner on your plans.
In my opinion it's unlikely you'll find a visa that lets you live in NZ but work for a company in another country.
The resident/residency/entrepreneur/investor programmes are all about allowing qualified skilled experienced people in to NZ who can fill the skilled employment gaps in the market, pay towards the long term prosperity of NZ and help it grow, whilst they benefit from living here in such an awesome country. I don't see how allowing you to live here but work for a London based company has any benefit for NZ ? The work you will be doing will be online for a business in London. Where will you be paid? Where will you pay income tax? or more importantly where will you be considered to Reside or be domiciled.....terms that HMRC will be very interested in.
Will you be sufficiently paying in to the NZ coffers to cover your "benefits" as a Resident here?
Even if you open a company branch in NZ, will it benefit NZ at all.....other than maybe you would probably have to employ a Kiwi in the office or on the factory floor?
Do you not think it's a big ask to expect Immigration NZ to let you live study and work here permanently without you actually filling any gap in the skilled employment market, or from what I can see, sufficiently paying your way.

You could get a WHV to come here no problem and from the UK that would allow you to be here for up to 23 months, but the conditions only allow you to work for a total period of 12 months in that 23 months and I'd guess that'd be for an employer in NZ, not the company you work for now in London.

Definitely a difficult question to answer and no specific visa that I can find for you that is clean cut fit for your purpose. I'd expect your best bet would be to go down to the London Immigration NZ office and ask the question in person....that's if they allow you to do that. You may have to ring the customer service hotline instead.
escapedtonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:17 am   #3
Matt2 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Matt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa for NZ still working for UK company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Sorry. Not trying to put a dampner on your plans.
In my opinion it's unlikely you'll find a visa that lets you live in NZ but work for a company in another country.
The resident/residency/entrepreneur/investor programmes are all about allowing qualified skilled experienced people in to NZ who can fill the skilled employment gaps in the market, pay towards the long term prosperity of NZ and help it grow, whilst they benefit from living here in such an awesome country. I don't see how allowing you to live here but work for a London based company has any benefit for NZ ? The work you will be doing will be online for a business in London. Where will you be paid? Where will you pay income tax? or more importantly where will you be considered to Reside or be domiciled.....terms that HMRC will be very interested in.
Will you be sufficiently paying in to the NZ coffers to cover your "benefits" as a Resident here?
Even if you open a company branch in NZ, will it benefit NZ at all.....other than maybe you would probably have to employ a Kiwi in the office or on the factory floor?
Do you not think it's a big ask to expect Immigration NZ to let you live study and work here permanently without you actually filling any gap in the skilled employment market, or from what I can see, sufficiently paying your way.

You could get a WHV to come here no problem and from the UK that would allow you to be here for up to 23 months, but the conditions only allow you to work for a total period of 12 months in that 23 months and I'd guess that'd be for an employer in NZ, not the company you work for now in London.

Definitely a difficult question to answer and no specific visa that I can find for you that is clean cut fit for your purpose. I'd expect your best bet would be to go down to the London Immigration NZ office and ask the question in person....that's if they allow you to do that. You may have to ring the customer service hotline instead.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I agree entirely with the sentiment here, and i've been trying to find a way to do it that benefits everyone. My understanding is that even if i weren't paid in NZD (which preferably i would be), i would still be subject to the same taxation as if i were, and I would still be spending my salary in the country. I'm not trying to find a way to dodge taxes or anything like that.

My company would benefit greatly from having somebody experienced in that timezone (to be able to service clients). We would likely end up employing more people in NZ as we grew our client base in the region. So i promise it isn't just me trying to just move somewhere nice!
Matt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:19 am   #4
Moderator
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,372
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for NZ still working for UK company?

think the best thing for you to do is call Immigration and ask them direct.
__________________
Trying to get NZ in line with other countries in regards to Pernicious Anaemia -
If you are concerned about another member or they are emailing unwarranted information please inform a concierge or moderator (Me).
MrsFychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th 2017, 2:42 am   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,053
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for NZ still working for UK company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I agree entirely with the sentiment here, and i've been trying to find a way to do it that benefits everyone. My understanding is that even if i weren't paid in NZD (which preferably i would be), i would still be subject to the same taxation as if i were, and I would still be spending my salary in the country. I'm not trying to find a way to dodge taxes or anything like that.

My company would benefit greatly from having somebody experienced in that timezone (to be able to service clients). We would likely end up employing more people in NZ as we grew our client base in the region. So i promise it isn't just me trying to just move somewhere nice!
So why not go the Investor 1 or Investor 2 visa route ?
Granted you may not be setting up a 'new' business but in the eyes of Immigration NZ they may see it as a new business in NZ.
The only sticky point is the conditions stipulate 'you' having the money to invest or 'you' being an experienced business owner with the necessary funds, when in reality you are merely an employee who is transferring their skill/expertise/qualifications to NZ to work in an office set up by the company you work for in London, so it is the company that is meeting the conditions of your visa and not you.
As I said. Best you sit down with an Immigration officer and get the best advice on a solution.
escapedtonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand / Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:20 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com