British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   UK Electrician thinking about permanent move, steps involved (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/uk-electrician-thinking-about-permanent-move-steps-involved-878559/)

eggyfried Jun 7th 2016 1:23 pm

UK Electrician thinking about permanent move, steps involved

Hi, been on on this forum before enquiring about Working Holiday Visas and found it helpful.

Basically im a UK Electrician with 17th Edition wondering how to go about moving to NZ and i have a few queries.

I have read about getting skills recognised by EWRB to get limited license under supervision and then doing practical/theory test for becoming NZ registered but my question is can you get a visa without this and work as a Trade Assistant/Unlicensed at first then do the necessary steps while over there? If so what visa would you apply for?

Can you use your "trade" to secure the visa and gain access to the country then work in another profession?

How many hours relevant experience are you expected to show in the trade?

Thanks

MrsFychan Jun 7th 2016 7:45 pm

Re: UK Electrician thinking about permanent move, steps involved

I don't know about working unlicensed but its job offer first, visa then work. you cannot work without a visa

eggyfried Jun 8th 2016 7:12 am

Thanks. Can you get a visa without a job offer and look for one when you arrive?

MrsFychan Jun 8th 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by eggyfried (Post 11967912)
Thanks. Can you get a visa without a job offer and look for one when you arrive?

depends on how many points you obtain on a points indicator on the immigration website. if you manage over 140 then yes you may get a visa before a job offer. But as I said you cannot take up any work without a visa

MrsFychan Jun 8th 2016 8:03 am

Electrician is not on the immediate skills list but it is on the list of skilled occupation so you would be able to apply for skilled migrant visa. the criteria is relevant qualification or 5 years experience.

You could also apply for the work to residency visa. You would need to get a job offer from an accredited company. This gives you a 2 year temp work visa and then you apply for residency near when the 2 years are up and show that you are still working.

You would need to check the immigration website for relevant requirements for the job against these visas

valleygurl Jul 13th 2016 7:07 am

My OH is an electrical manager and we moved to NZ in may with a job offer. If you are a good electrician with creditable references then pm me

valleygurl Jul 17th 2016 10:07 am

Originally Posted by eggyfried (Post 11967912)

Pm me if you are looking for work x

mcmozza Mar 20th 2017 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by valleygurl (Post 12001249)
My OH is an electrical manager and we moved to NZ in may with a job offer. If you are a good electrician with creditable references then pm me

hi can you pm me, i am electrician fully qualified with over 15 yrs exp

valleygurl Mar 20th 2017 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mcmozza (Post 12209013)
hi can you pm me, i am electrician fully qualified with over 15 yrs exp

Hi the job is no longer availiable as the company folded. Sorry