Kiwi & UK Partner visa quetions

Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:19 am
Just Joined

misssarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kiwi & UK Partner visa quetions

Hello! I have a few questions, Im a kiwi, been in the UK on a 2 year working visa and of course I meet a brit a few months before I had to leave. I am currently in aussie as my parents moved there but the plan is for the bf to come to NZ where we plan on living permanently.

As far as I can see the only option to get him there and working so we can gather enough evidence as a couple to apply for any other visa (only been together 3 months in total and obviously I had to leave UK so not living together) is to get a UK working holiday visa as visitor means he cant work which isnt going to work and a skilled migrant will take far too long considering we're already in different hemispheres. Thank god he is still 30 till June next year!

I am assuming that is our best case to kick things off correct me if I'm wrong? Now going on from there we should have sufficient evidence in a year, I assume we can then apply for the next visa at anytime during the 23 month visa (i.e. we dont have to wait until it expires etc) if my research is correct can he apply directly for the Partnership residence visa after we have our 12 months of evidence? What is the process after that? Residence then citizenship?

Your advice would be much appreciated, we just want to make sure we are doing things the right way
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kiwi & UK Partner visa quetions

He can apply for a WHV and he can work for a total of 12 months in the 23.

During that time you should live together and amass your evidence that you are in a strong , stable and commited relationship.

Once you have done the time you can apply for the partnership visa. Once that is in place he will be considered NZ resident.

It is five years before he could apply to become an NZ citizen.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Ok great thanks so he can go straight to applying for a partnership resident visa!

I am a bit worried though, I emailed Immigration NZ and told them our situation ie we dont have enough evidence for any partnership visas and a visitor visa is not an option - how can we gather evidence of shared bank account etc if he cant work??? Its ridiculous!! I asked them to clarify why he cant come on a WHV and they literally just sent me this reply:

"Dear Sarah
Thank you for contacting us.
That is correct, the working holiday visa is a temporary visa granted for the primary purpose of holidaying, with some work allowed to fund the holiday time in New Zealand. It is not appropriate for people coming to New Zealand for partnership reasons.
As the intention is to build a partnership together, it is important to apply for the correct visa from the start, so that Immigration New Zealand are fully aware of the situation, as this will assist you with any future visa applications.
Therefore I would confirm that the pathway suggested by Anil is the way forward for you as a couple.
Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Kind regards,
Cei
Customer Service Officer"

I dont want to jeopardise our future visa applications but I cannot see any other way other then him getting a WHV?!
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:40 am
`

NZIS must be seen to stick to their lawful policy . Perhaps they expect you to support him.

He is entitled to apply for a WHV if he so wishes.
Perhaps he would like to come and visit New Zealand for 23 months and work for the 12 months of that time to fund his stay. Nothing to stop him.
Perhaps this is best for him to see if New Zealand would be for him.
Perhaps he will see if the person he met back in the UK will be his forever person .

Get my drift?

If he wishes to move around NZ he is free to do so and perfectly entitled to keep company with whomsoever he pleases. Or he could stay in one place .

Up to him.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 5th 2016 at 3:55 am.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:43 am
`

Actually If time is on your side and you are OK to be in Oz , why not have a year or so in Oz co-habiting. He would still apply for a WHV but for Oz instead.

ps - I am not doubting your commitment to each other at all.
My parents met and married within 3 months . They had over 40 yrs together.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 5th 2016 at 3:56 am.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, getting a bit stressed here. I understand they need to stick to what they think is the right path but obviously that isn't going to suit everyone's situation. Have you heard of anyone coming over on a WHV having already met a kiwi and gaining residence etc? I mean it's not illegal obviously to apply for further visas once hes there but I am unsure whether we start our evidence from when we were in the UK as well as when we get to NZ or just start it from in NZ? Would they keep my email and use it to track me somehow? Or am I being a stressed out crazy person and just need to chill, get my bf a WHV, live and work peacefully, gather our evidence and apply for a partnership residence visa and hope there are no issues.

I haven't been back in NZ for over 2 years I don't really want to be away for another year to gather more evidence. He's 31 in June so I just feel like we should just get to NZ and gather evidence of our relationship.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:07 am
`

Don't stress. It'll work out.

How long were you co-habiting in the UK.

What is your bf occupation?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Only 6 weeks but no shared tenancy, bills etc. Got plenty of pictures, texts, can get people to write references for us and we also worked together thats how we met but its only a few months worth of evidence and no big stuff like bills etc

He's a chef, which i know is on the long term skills shortage list but its also not highly likely for him to get a job offer (what restaurant would wait several months for a chef?), if he did it could take months to get a job offer and months to get the visa approved. We'd be apart for a very long time

That's why I can't see any other way but the WHV but now after what they've said I'm worried they will somehow be alerted when he applies (for partnership resident visa) and deny it cos I ignored their visa path since it's not going to work for us. Petty but I guess they can do what they want. Although I really don't see how they could track us they dont know my DOB or partners name etc
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:29 am
`

Right then.

How about this for a plan. Anyone else out there want to add something please do feel free.

Your bf comes into NZ on a Visitor Visa
He arrives under that umbrella with a return ticket & savings.

He could then look to gain work at MacDonalds which is an NZIS accredited employer so they are allowed to employ people from overseas. For that he would need to uplift a temporary work visa .

He keeps in employment with them for a year and you then go for the partnership visa.

I would agree that him not working would place a strain on you both. It could also effect his ability to settle.

Yes. I knew someone that met an NZ chap whilst on a holiday. She return to NZ under a WHV to be with him. No questions were asked. There again NZ Immy were not approached.
After 9 months it did not work out so she left for the UK.

....edit....

AccorHotels is also NZ Immy accredited. They would employ chefs.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 5th 2016 at 4:33 am.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 6:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

What did Anil suggest??
Old Oct 5th 2016, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
What did Anil suggest??
She said:

So the ideal progression is:
General visitor visa > Partnership-based visitor or work visa > Partnership-based resident visa.

They seem to only work in black and white and not consider the grey. and that not everyone is rich. Unfortunately this option isn't really do-able as the general visitor visa wont be long enough to gather enough evidence for a partnership visa and he wont be able to work which will put pressure on us as I cannot afford to support us both (I only just got back from the UK Im living with my parents in Aussie and Im unemployed to give you some context!) and it wont show how we deal with money as he'll have no income. Theres also the risk he gets denied another visa and as we are already going to be apart for months it's not a risk we want to take! He's also 31 in June so threshold for the whv is small.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Right then.

How about this for a plan. Anyone else out there want to add something please do feel free.

Your bf comes into NZ on a Visitor Visa
He arrives under that umbrella with a return ticket & savings.

He could then look to gain work at MacDonalds which is an NZIS accredited employer so they are allowed to employ people from overseas. For that he would need to uplift a temporary work visa .

He keeps in employment with them for a year and you then go for the partnership visa.

I would agree that him not working would place a strain on you both. It could also effect his ability to settle.

Yes. I knew someone that met an NZ chap whilst on a holiday. She return to NZ under a WHV to be with him. No questions were asked. There again NZ Immy were not approached.
After 9 months it did not work out so she left for the UK.

....edit....

AccorHotels is also NZ Immy accredited. They would employ chefs.
Bev, do you have a link to a list of accredited employers in NZ at all? If we did go the route of whv-partnership residency and for some reason get denied what would the other options be for him to stay in NZ, could he get a chef job at an accredited employer and get residency that way?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 8:01 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

accredited companies list

Accredited Employers List
Old Oct 5th 2016, 9:04 pm
`

Originally Posted by misssarah
She said:

So the ideal progression is:
General visitor visa > Partnership-based visitor or work visa > Partnership-based resident visa.

. Unfortunately this option isn't really do-able as the general visitor visa wont be long enough to gather enough evidence for a partnership visa and he wont be able to work
It IS doable. There is the suggestion of work visa in there so NZIS realise he would need to take up employment.

1 - Enter NZ as a general visitor.
2 - Gain employment. Any sort of legit employment.
3 - Apply for temp work permit of at least one year
4 - Gather all partnership evidence
5 - Apply for partnership based resident visa.

Easier to have gone or go the WHV route but hey.

could he get a chef job at an accredited employer and get residency that way?
Yes.

He could also just gain a job offer as a qualified chef and uplift a temp work visa to get him here and working. Or he could do the same whilst on a visitor visa and remain here with a temp work permit.

He does have the professional quals doesn't he?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Yes, it IS do-able but still risky and more time unemployed etc and the WHV is certainly a more straight-forward and easy route as you say. I'm just freaking out a tad and thinking worse case scenario that he'll somehow be denied the partnership residence visa, but he's entitled to it and in a year we'd have plenty of evidence!

He is qualified but in England so we need to see if his exact qualification matches the NZ one - hopefully it does! If it doesnt what would happen there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.