Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Testicular cancer - will I be let in?!? - YES I WILL !!

Testicular cancer - will I be let in?!? - YES I WILL !!

Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:13 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Testicular cancer - will I be let in?!?

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Just to let you know, my MIL came here with us as visitors and applied for residency knowing she had had breast cancer.
It was indeed raised by the medicals and she had to get documentation about the cancer and treatment from her UK doctor.

Residency was granted without further problems.

Hope this gives you some extra hope.

Carole

Hope the MIL is doing well? Is she clear of all the nasties?

Just out of interest, how long was she clear of the cancer before she was granted residency - breast cancer is one of the ones stipulated in the Immi NZ medi-bumph as to be clear of for 5 years (I think), so if they are prepared to make exceptions for that then maybe they'll go for clear of a much less serious cancer for 5 minutes!!

Cheers for a much needed boost Carole!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
Hope the MIL is doing well? Is she clear of all the nasties?

Just out of interest, how long was she clear of the cancer before she was granted residency - breast cancer is one of the ones stipulated in the Immi NZ medi-bumph as to be clear of for 5 years (I think), so if they are prepared to make exceptions for that then maybe they'll go for clear of a much less serious cancer for 5 minutes!!

Cheers for a much needed boost Carole!
Hi,

Strangely we see her rarely so im going from memory.

It has never come back thankfully but i do think it may have been around the five year mark, certainly no longer than that though.

Its definately worth trying for, as long as you expect them to refer you to a medical assessor and know the form looks scary but is fairly generic.

You will be able to give them all the necessary information so you should be fine.

Carole
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:10 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

That's great! Was definitely expecting the medical assessor, so that won't come as any shock! Very glad to hear that the MIL is all clear too.

Arrived home last night and one of the consultants had popped a copy of his referral letter in the post for me (just try saying a bad word about the NHS around me at the moment!); in it, he stipulated my non-recurrence likelihood is currently around 90%, with chemo it's greater than 95% with no long-term survival effects and - God bless him - even put in a bit about how my decision for treatment could be influenced by Immi NZ medical requirements!

With that sort of support on side, I'm feeling much more confident about getting the medical done. Apparently I'm starting on the porridge/no booze diet next week to ensure I become the epitome of human physical perfection*.

*Admittedly an impossible quest. As all followers of rugby and other decent people know, male human evolution peaked at Brian Moore. We just have to learn to get over it.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:04 am
Lord of The Pies

This week I am mostly being radioactive!

NHS took it upon themselves to inject me with some isotopes yesterday (I've never seen a lead-coated syringe before!!) and then take blood tests in order to see how quickly my kidneys filter out the nasties to decide exactly how much chemo drug I get next week. All very exciting, but by the time they'd finished I did feel somewhat like a pin-cushion!

So now I just have chemo on Tuesday, follow up two weeks later and HOPEFULLY we'll be getting the medicals booked straight after that! Popping down to the local plod farm at lunch to see about getting our police records sorted out. It's gathering pace.......
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

This week I am mostly being radioactive!

NHS took it upon themselves to inject me with some isotopes yesterday (I've never seen a lead-coated syringe before!!) and then take blood tests in order to see how quickly my kidneys filter out the nasties to decide exactly how much chemo drug I get next week. All very exciting, but by the time they'd finished I did feel somewhat like a pin-cushion!

So now I just have chemo on Tuesday, follow up two weeks later and HOPEFULLY we'll be getting the medicals booked straight after that! Popping down to the local plod farm at lunch to see about getting our police records sorted out. It's gathering pace.......
Well what a rollercoaster!!

From the 'peak of physical perfection' to radioactive in a matter of days - now that takes some doing Do you glow in the dark yet? or is that next weeks party trick

I'm glad you are sounding much more upbeat about the whole process now than you were the other week.

Positive thinking will get you through x
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:31 am
Lord of The Pies

Hey, give the "peak of physical perfection" thing a while - porridge doesn't work overnight you know!

Sadly I don't glow in the dark - nor am I able to climb up walls and cast webs unaided (and I look rubbish in lycra). I'm hoping that whatever comes next will be able to rectify this problem.

I promise I've been pretty upbeat about the whole thing for *most* of the time - sorry if my typing gave the wrong impression! The real pain has been the non-medical stuff; i.e crawling around in our attic convincing both myself and SWMBO that the 'treasured memories' we have accumulated over the years is in fact junk and that the charity shop would be the best place for it. My car is now full of black bags - until lunchtime anyway!

We're also now at the stage where SWMBO's mother is being sent out getting details of "rentable" properties so we can keep a foothold on the UK housing market when we bugger off. With the way the $Kiwi is going, not a lot of point chopping housing deposits in at the moment! Just got to convince someone that what they really want in their lives is our current house.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Hey, give the "peak of physical perfection" thing a while - porridge doesn't work overnight you know!

Sadly I don't glow in the dark - nor am I able to climb up walls and cast webs unaided (and I look rubbish in lycra). I'm hoping that whatever comes next will be able to rectify this problem.

I promise I've been pretty upbeat about the whole thing for *most* of the time - sorry if my typing gave the wrong impression! The real pain has been the non-medical stuff; i.e crawling around in our attic convincing both myself and SWMBO that the 'treasured memories' we have accumulated over the years is in fact junk and that the charity shop would be the best place for it. My car is now full of black bags - until lunchtime anyway!

We're also now at the stage where SWMBO's mother is being sent out getting details of "rentable" properties so we can keep a foothold on the UK housing market when we bugger off. With the way the $Kiwi is going, not a lot of point chopping housing deposits in at the moment! Just got to convince someone that what they really want in their lives is our current house.
So - if we can get you in lycra - will we be getting a photo - and then you can use it as your avatar!!!!! That would be worth a look

Good luck with the house sale - thats what i do - whereabouts are you? whats the market like there?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:28 am
Lord of The Pies

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
So - if we can get you in lycra - will we be getting a photo - and then you can use it as your avatar!!!!! That would be worth a look

Good luck with the house sale - thats what i do - whereabouts are you? whats the market like there?

Me + lycra =

Maybe as a celebration when we get to NZ, but no promises!

Currently in Leics-Vegas (Leicester), where the housing market is a smidge on the flat side (not really being helped by our estate agent who, while not completely useless, isn't a million miles off). We have a buyer lined up, but they are having a bit of a time trying to shift theirs.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Me + lycra =

Maybe as a celebration when we get to NZ, but no promises!

Currently in Leics-Vegas (Leicester), where the housing market is a smidge on the flat side (not really being helped by our estate agent who, while not completely useless, isn't a million miles off). We have a buyer lined up, but they are having a bit of a time trying to shift theirs.
No promises - ha - i have it written here in blue and white

We have rellys in Leics - Coalville.

The market around us picking up nicely. although we have found that the traditional 1st time buyer stuff isnt really shifting unless it needs alot of work doing. The 1st timeers are stretching themselves somewhat and usually bringing mum and dad alongas they are helping out financially. Hopefully if your buyers have a reasonably priced property they should have someone along soon. It really always is about the price - its a reflection around here on the amount of stuff on the market that they have to compete with their neighbours. Hopefully your agent will be trying to secure a sale from another direction whilst waiting for this other guy to get sold. for you x keep me posted x

(i know its dreadfully sad but i get a buzz out of what i do )

All the best
psycho x
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:12 am
Lord of The Pies

Hopefully your agent will be trying to secure a sale from another direction whilst waiting for this other guy to get sold
With progress to date, I'll be content if my agent remembers to keep breathing in and out long enough to sell the house.

I'm glad someone has a job they love - all you seem to hear is everyone bemoaning their 8 hrs a day! That's one thing I'm really excited about with NZ, the uncertainty of exactly what I'm going to end up doing! Hopefully something fun will pop up - if not, anyone need lawns mowing?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

With progress to date, I'll be content if my agent remembers to keep breathing in and out long enough to sell the house.

I'm glad someone has a job they love - all you seem to hear is everyone bemoaning their 8 hrs a day! That's one thing I'm really excited about with NZ, the uncertainty of exactly what I'm going to end up doing! Hopefully something fun will pop up - if not, anyone need lawns mowing?
I will have a lawn!!! dont have one at mo, oh and how i miss it gonna get a big lawn with flowers all around
You can mow mine if you bring the lycra

I reckon life is to short to do something all day everyday and hate it - i try to always make the best of everything and even being an 'estate agent' and the 'stigma' that comes with i still love it.

Next week will be a stinker though - got to come clean that we are going - i hope they dont hold it against me
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:19 pm
Lord of The Pies

I will have a lawn!!! dont have one at mo, oh and how i miss it gonna get a big lawn with flowers all around
You can mow mine if you bring the lycra

I reckon life is to short to do something all day everyday and hate it - i try to always make the best of everything and even being an 'estate agent' and the 'stigma' that comes with i still love it.

Next week will be a stinker though - got to come clean that we are going - i hope they dont hold it against me
There'll be a premium payment for lycra

Don't worry about coming clean - it's not like you are leaving for any reason that they are a) responsible for or b) can affect (unless you are so utterly brill that they'll up sticks and move the company to NZ to keep you ). Are you looking at staying in estate agency in the land of the long white cloud? It would be useful to know someone for when we get ourselves sorted!!!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

There'll be a premium payment for lycra

Don't worry about coming clean - it's not like you are leaving for any reason that they are a) responsible for or b) can affect (unless you are so utterly brill that they'll up sticks and move the company to NZ to keep you ). Are you looking at staying in estate agency in the land of the long white cloud? It would be useful to know someone for when we get ourselves sorted!!!
You doubt that i am 'utterly brill' ?
I would love to be able to do something in the same lines - it is a completely different system over their though - and i would be a 'real estate agent' like im not a real one now
We will see - i could sell em and you can maintain their gardens
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:05 pm
Lord of The Pies

Well, I'm now chemo'd. Have to admit, I'd never really thought much about the process, but had always imagined it had involved nuclear reactors and people in protective clothing attending to you. Therefore you can imagine my disappointment to be sat in a nice comfy armchair with a good book, offered some free butties, wired up to a machine that beeped after an hour and then sent home. Just got to wait and see if there are any side effects now, although having seen one or two of the poor buggers in there today, you can rest assured that there will be no complaining on my part!

Now it's blood tests a week on Monday, Consultant the Monday after, porridge a-go-go in the mean time and should everything turn out OK, we'll have the medicals done before the end of October! Then the fun and games can really start!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, I'm now chemo'd. Have to admit, I'd never really thought much about the process, but had always imagined it had involved nuclear reactors and people in protective clothing attending to you. Therefore you can imagine my disappointment to be sat in a nice comfy armchair with a good book, offered some free butties, wired up to a machine that beeped after an hour and then sent home. Just got to wait and see if there are any side effects now, although having seen one or two of the poor buggers in there today, you can rest assured that there will be no complaining on my part!

Now it's blood tests a week on Monday, Consultant the Monday after, porridge a-go-go in the mean time and should everything turn out OK, we'll have the medicals done before the end of October! Then the fun and games can really start!
Well done that man for not moaning about it, i think you are very brave x

I hope it doesnt make you too poorly in the coming days, i rember my MIL having some stuff like that when she was getting treated for a non hodgkins lymphoma - it knocked her for 6 by the time they had finished.

Onwards and upwards, stay strong - and hang on to your hair

Last edited by Psychopandy; Sep 29th 2009 at 7:21 pm. Reason: crap typing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.