Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

Old Feb 21st 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

O.K. - I'm too literal for my own good.

Q.D5 asks "Have you or your partner been exposed to or diagnosed with any infectious or communicable disease".

Mr Picky says that the common cold seems to fit this description. Athlete's foot?

Obviously you give the answer they want unless you really do have a long term nasty.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

I rang them over something else and asked the same question- I think I said that I had been educated in schools in England up to 16 then stated my education after school so the box was filled! For those applying for different category visa they have to take the IELTS test even though they have had English education. Only 12 months ago I filled in the form but so much to fill in I can't remember!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme61
I rang them over something else and asked the same question- I think I said that I had been educated in schools in England up to 16 then stated my education after school so the box was filled! For those applying for different category visa they have to take the IELTS test even though they have had English education. Only 12 months ago I filled in the form but so much to fill in I can't remember!!!
One further question on time scales:
  1. Send off EOI; probably a year before it is picked. Likely to be longer in the future.
  2. Invited to apply; you have 4 months to respond.
  3. Application processed; probably about 5 months beginning to end.
  4. Accepted; your visa has a date by which you must enter NZ.

I can't find a reference which says what date is put on your visa. How long after acceptance to you have to land in NZ?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

One you have the letter of acceptance you have to send passports and the migrant level within 6 months (12/2/16 accepted 12/8/16 to get passports in) you then have 12 months to "activate" the visa. To activate you have to cross the NZ border but do not have to stay in NZ- exit the airport and then return to uk if you wanted. Travel conditions on parent visa are 5yrs so to get residency you definitely have to spend the most of years 4/5 in NZ is what I believe ( please follow this up as this is MY interpretation) if you leave it that long before going!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Obviously you give the answer they want unless you really do have a long term nasty.
Assuming you plan to stay here long term and will want to be taken care of when you are sick in NZ, I wouldn't be so blase as to 'give the answers that they want'.

The health declaration is a pretty serious matter and if later found to be something in your history that you did not notify them of then they might decide not to fund your healthcare or may even deport you if it were something that became expensive to treat long term.

I am sure there will be something in the small print with regards to what is a notifiable disease but the likely candidates would be the biggies such as hepatitis, TB, Polio, yellow fever etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Assuming you plan to stay here long term and will want to be taken care of when you are sick in NZ, I wouldn't be so blase as to 'give the answers that they want'.

The health declaration is a pretty serious matter and if later found to be something in your history that you did not notify them of then they might decide not to fund your healthcare or may even deport you if it were something that became expensive to treat long term.

I am sure there will be something in the small print with regards to what is a notifiable disease but the likely candidates would be the biggies such as hepatitis, TB, Polio, yellow fever etc.
Well, yes.

The answer they want is to tell them if you have anything serious.

They don't want the question to be taken so literally that you confess to having the common cold and shared a bus with someone with flu.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point

O.K. - I'm too literal for my own good.

Q.D5 asks "Have you or your partner been exposed to or diagnosed with any infectious or communicable disease".

Mr Picky says that the common cold seems to fit this description. Athlete's foot?

We ticked the NO box for this one, and have had similar. i think it means things like Aids etc.

Perfect sense - thanks.

Picture is becoming clearer as I work my way through it.

Proving that you have adequate use of English is interesting.

"Showing that you have an English-speaking
background
To show that you have an English-speaking background
you must show us evidence that you completed:
• all your primary education, and at least three years of
your secondary education, at a school or schools that
taught in English, or
• at least five years of your secondary education at a
school or schools that taught in English, or
• a course taught in English that took at least
three years and led to a tertiary qualification"

Although the response "Hang on, I was born in the UK and have lived there all my life" may cover this, how do you prove it?

Off the top of my head (shiny) I can't think of any evidence I have to hand which can prove which schools I attended. I may (with archaeological levels of excavation) be able to locate my GCSE certificates but I am not sure that this proves that I was studying at a school that taught in English at a secondary level for 5 years.

Anyone who did not progress beyond 'O' Levels (back in the day) would not have an A level in English nor any Tertiary education.

Practically it shouldn't be a problem, as I spikz Unglisk lake wot evrwun elz duz it's just the interesting question of how I prove it to fit in with the rules.

How do you prove that you lived in the UK all your life and were educated there if you didn't keep all your certificates?

At least the migration web site is up again

I know I'm being picky, it just that I thought "Hang on, it's obvious" followed by "O.K. how do I prove it". Birth certificate and current passport show born in UK and current UK national, but the intervening period????
We Quoted "English First Language"

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 23rd 2016 at 4:15 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Esme61
One you have the letter of acceptance you have to send passports and the migrant level within 6 months (12/2/16 accepted 12/8/16 to get passports in) you then have 12 months to "activate" the visa. To activate you have to cross the NZ border but do not have to stay in NZ- exit the airport and then return to uk if you wanted. Travel conditions on parent visa are 5yrs so to get residency you definitely have to spend the most of years 4/5 in NZ is what I believe ( please follow this up as this is MY interpretation) if you leave it that long before going!
Skimmed this last night, but it didn't quite sink in.

Travel restrictions on a working visa are 2 years, then you get unrestricted.

Travel restrictions on parent visa 5 years?

That seems a little harsh, and it hasn't been obvious from the web pages I have read, but then they were notably coy about what conditions would be on the visa when you got it.

Anyone else with a parent visa confirm this?

I will be ploughing through the website yet again.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep - found it.

What are travel conditions? - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase

"Your resident visa will be issued with travel conditions that are valid for two years (or five years if granted under the parent category) from your first day in NZ as a resident. "

Darn and heck.
This rules out a quick nip over to make the most of the tax concessions for the first 3-4 years then re-evaluate.
Just as well we like NZ!

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Feb 23rd 2016 at 12:50 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Helpful reply from DWP:

"If you were to move to New Zealand your UK State Pension would be frozen at the rate in payment from the date you moved.

Should you return to the UK we would uprate your UK State Pension to the rate that would have been in payment should you have had all of the annual increases.
"

That looks pretty decent - better than I expected.

There is a bit of a storm building about frozen State Pension. e.g.
State pension is frozen for 560,000 British expatriates | Pensions | Money | The Independent

It does look as though the frozen pensioners could return to the UK for six months and a day and have their pension updated then emigrate again with their pension at the new rate, but this does seem like a lot of messing about.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A statement sworn before a notary ? Do it the hard way - take the IELTS Exam !

Last edited by scot47; Mar 2nd 2016 at 1:44 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
A statement sworn before a notary ? Do it the hard way - take the IELTS Exam !
Uh - and this is about what, exactly?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:23 am
Just Joined

claudia99 is an unknown quantity at this point

For the answer around evidence of speaking English - I was advised by our immigration advisor that it is more relevant how many languages other than English you speak.
So if you only speak English then state that you only speak English and this is sufficient to answer the question.
If you do speak several languages, which is your "mother tongue"? If English is your mother tongue then this would also suffice.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep all done and dusted, blue Visa in our passports, we fly into Christchurch 24th April and hitting the ground running. although we are leaving the money from the sale of our house behind in the UK until after the Brexit Vote in June, the exchange rate has dropped right out and the £ has shrank so much we cant afford to transfer the money.
Old May 17th 2016, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just adding stuff here which has gone in other posts; hope that this is understandable as a copied conversation:

New location for news about Parents EOI draw
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-notifications

Anniebig "So anyone else hoping to be drawn out on this draw, it would be amazing if I was but I think I am more likely to come out in August daw however still have the champers in the fridge!!!!
Good luck and fingers crossed xx
"

LGC "When did you put in your application?
I have a spreadsheet which helps me guess when the draw will pick, based on submission date.
Bearing in mind that past performance is no guarantee of..."

Anniebig "Hi
We put the EOI in after the draw in August 2015 and the fee was taken from the credit card on the 2nd September. So I presume that is when it was accepted. If they draw a full two months like they have been doing we will of missed it by two days but if they draw two and a half months as they have done in the past we will be in. It is very tight but I have everything crossed. So what does your number crunching come up with? What is your interest in the draw? Are you also waiting for an EOI to be drawn?
"

LGC "My spreadsheet logic is not the best, but immediately after the 17th August 2015 draw there were 2051 applications left in the queue.

We don't know how many applications went in before yours, but the number added each quarter is higher than the number drawn and it looks as though there may be something around 987 new applications in the quarter when you submitted.
So at a guess you may have been about application (2051+(987/3)) = 2380 in the queue. Next two draws took out (737+740) = 1477 EOIs.
Ummm....if this figure is roughly correct then you would go into this draw at position (2380 - 1477) = 903 in the queue.
Since 17th August 2014 they haven't drawn more than 740 EOIs from the queue.
So a vastly inaccurate approximation suggests you may JUST miss the draw, but if so you will be right up the front of the queue for the next one.
Then again as you put your application in less than a month after the draw, and we have no way of knowing at what point the other 986 new EOIs were submitted in relation to yours, you may just squeeze in, especially if they up the number of EOIs picked.

At this level of (in)accuracy it is too close to call!
Best of luck!

We have submitted an EOI after the February draw this year.
The spreadsheet was to check how long we might have to wait to be drawn, and the results were not encouraging. Looking like the February 2017 draw for us, or November 2016 if we are exceptionally lucky. Or the May 2017 draw if we are not.
We will have a slightly better idea once the numbers for this next draw are available.
However our daughter won't have completed her 3 years as a resident until September 2016 so we have gambled on submitting our EOI to the queue early, expecting that it won't be drawn until after we qualify.
If we waited until after the August 2016 draw then we might have had another full year to wait before coming to the front of the queue."

After the draw update

LGC "Well, not the best of news, I guess.

Only 606 EOIs drawn.
Off to update the spreadsheet.
At least you should be in the next one, @Anniebig.

Queue increased by 622, so getting harder all the time to get to the front of the queue.

Our calculation:
Draw 16th February 2016 (2351 left in queue).
Receipt of submission dated 29th February 2016.
Draw 16th May 2016 (2973 left in queue).
Number of submissions February - May = number taken (606) plus extra in queue (622) = 1228.
Our position in new EOIs (based on date) = (1228 * 13/59) = 270
Our (nominal) position in queue = (2351 + 270 - 606) = 2015.
If they are drawing around 600 per draw, then we will be pulled in the 4th draw after May 2016. This would be May 2017.
If they draw 700+ in the next 3 draws we should scrape in to February 2017.
In fact, given that they have never pulled less than 550 in any draw, we should be odds on for May 2017.
"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.