Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

Old Jan 10th 2016, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

First, apologies if there is already a thread but this site is not playing nicely with my Android tablet so I can't search. In fact there seems to be a typing delay as if each character is being processed by the site instead of the form being edited within the web browser. But I digress.
We hope to put in a SOI later this year based on sponsorship by our daughter who has an IT job in Auckland.
We have been told that it may take more than one draw before we are accepted.
Has anyone else been down this route recently?
If so, how long did it take?

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Jan 10th 2016 at 1:53 am. Reason: Finger trouble
Old Jan 10th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship by resident child - anyone here?

We are going through this process as we speak. Our daughter is in Christchurch working as a police officer and is in a position to sponsor us, not that we need her money. We submitted our EOI January 19th 2015. We were selected August 19th 2015. We submitted our application having the relevant information plus a lot more than was asked for with our medical results and X-rays on Sept 05 2015. Then silence until December 22 we received an email from our newly appointed immigration officer. He requested updated information from September to December and gave us a dead line to submit, January 12. It's now January 10th and we are awaiting the next stage but have no idea what or how it happens.
If you go to the NZ govt immigration site there is a mine field of information. We didn't use an immigration advisor as we found if you take it slowly and digest each question you are able to do it yourselves.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

We are about the same as Shorelands, needed more documents as well, I'd sent a printed document amongst originals and from our sponsor more recent rates bills within 3 months etc. They end of the letter stated they would hopefully reach a decision in 4/5 weeks once documents received
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

So with luck the whole process takes around a full year from EOI to arrival?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
We have been told that it may take more than one draw before we are accepted.
Has anyone else been down this route recently?
If so, how long did it take?
Yes. I believe that this category was heavily oversubscribed for the capped places available.

Draws take place 4 times a year. From what Shorelands has written theirs was pulled on the 3rd draw after submission.

Yes. NZ Immy will be slow at the moment. The shutdown will mean a bit of a backlog for them to get through.

NZ Immy suggest HERE that the queue time for Tier One could be a year.

Info about the last couple of draws is HERE

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 11th 2016 at 11:28 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

We received email on the 12/2/16 saying we were accepted and to post our passports along with the migrant levy fee. Just taken 12 months from submitting our EOI
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme61
We received email on the 12/2/16 saying we were accepted and to post our passports along with the migrant levy fee. Just taken 12 months from submitting our EOI
Congratulations
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the update.

Well done!
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Can I just check my understanding?

You just aren't going to get picked in the first draw.
You have a very limited chance of being picked in the second draw.
You have a reasonable expectation of being picked in the third draw.
If you are very unlucky (or demand gets even higher) you may have to wait for the fourth draw.

Until you are drawn out, they don't do any checking (logical) because there would be no point in wasting time up front.

This suggests that if you qualify by your sponsor being resident on a certain date (three years from first residency) then it is logical to submit your EOI early so the date you are drawn isn't 9-12 months after you qualify.

So for example if you qualified from the 1st August you would submit your EOI before 16th May (to get the 1st draw out of the way) and consider perhaps risking submitting before 16th Feb to use up your two expected draw failures and look good for the 17th August draw. [This matches the successful application time scale from Shorelands above.]

I assume that there is also a bit of wiggle room between being picked from the pool and submitting your paperwork. For example if you qualified a few weeks after the 17th August draw, and were selected then, by the time your paperwork was completed and submitted you would match the requirements. However I don't know if Immigration would consider this a bit too cheeky, or if they just wouldn't care.

This is probably an unusual case because not many people are waiting for a recently migrated child to have been resident long enough.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Footnote 1: [can't see how to edit the previous post at the moment]

I've just been plugging the numbers from the reports on previous draws into a spreadsheet. Not completed yet (struggling to see if I can manipulate dates in a fancy way) but what I have done is tabled up the number of people at Tier 1 who are left in the queue after each draw.

The queue is constantly growing, and I am assuming that you get picked on a "first in first out" basis. This seems to be consistent with the numbers.

Anyway, assuming that roughly 700 EOIs get picked each time in the next year, the number of future draws needed to clear the end of the queue at the day after the current draw has been steadily growing and since November 2015 it has been greater than 3.

This suggests that it is highly likely that anyone submitting an EOI from now on (until things improve or get worse) can expect to get picked on the 4th draw after they submit the EOI. So someone submitting now (February 2016) would expect to be picked in the February 2017 draw.

To confirm this, the oldest EOI left in the pool after this latest draw in February 2016 is 1st July 2015 - so that EOI has missed the August, November and February draws but should be first up for the May draw.

Past performance is no guarantee.......etc. but looking at the current rate of increase of the pool, it seems to have steadied to around 150 more each quarter so it should be a bit before the queue needs 4 draws to clear it. Possibly 3 more draws. So perhaps around February next year the queue could be long enough to take 5 draws to get accepted.

Looking back at shorelands post they were still in the process 5 months after having been invited to apply (EOI drawn). They were a full year from submitting the EOI and they had submitted further information to the Immigration officer and were waiting.

I am now wishing that I had sat down and worked this out a while back because it looks as though we could have put our EOI in a bit earlier than now - before the February draw.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Only 2 years ago Feb 14 when I started following the draw all Tier 1 were selected the draw after your EOI was submitted, a year later when we submitted we missed the Feb 15 draw and got selected Aug 15 but the numbers pulled from the pool have gone into the 700s - it mentions June16 in the intro EOI Draw
What happens after this date I wonder?
Luckily I've got my visa last week but I know how it feels to want that and be able to start planning seriously. I'm sure Shorelands should be completed or very close if the info resubmitted was ok, I resubmitted the extra they requested mid January and 3 weeks later we got email to say we were accepted. Good luck
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I may be asking a lot of questions quite quickly, as we put together our EOI.

It looks as though we qualify under two separate headings; Sponsors Income and Guaranteed Lifetime Minimum Income.

Is there any benefit in picking one or the other?

I assume basing it on our income would save our sponsor some paperwork.

Edit: it looks as though (due to the crazy housing market) we may qualify under all three headings.
Settlement Funds of $500,000 are currently roughly £231k UKP.
So if we sell up and transfer the money to NZ then that will count.
According to the web site as long as you bring the money in you can then spend it on a house and it still counts.

So do we tick all 3 boxes??

I would note that £230K is not a massive amount in UK housing terms anywhere south of about Leeds.
It will probably buy you a time share of a toilet anywhere in central London.

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Feb 19th 2016 at 6:14 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quick logistics question:
for Parents Category you have to send the documents to NZ and they have to send documents back. Which is the best courier to use to send documents, and how quickly do they send them back?

I know it is early Sunday morning and you are all tucked up in bed. Apart from the people who seem to have taken the Immigration web site down so I can't get at the forms.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Think you only tick one box- we went on sponsorship as it seemed easier to prove than getting proof how you got your money, proof of house ownership etc, sponsorship our daughter filled the form in NZ and sent me that with the required proof. Only the EOI goes to New Zealand - we sent ours tracked Royal Mail cost about £7.50, post seems to be quick at mo as I sent a small parcel to Auckland Saturday and it arrived their Thursday. Rest of the application goes to London. You only get the EOI paperwork bk when the ITA comes back-they email you to say the EOI has been received. Hope my replies are making sense!

Last edited by MrsFychan; Feb 21st 2016 at 9:58 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Esme61
Think you only tick one box- we went on sponsorship as it seemed easier to prove than getting proof how you got your money, proof of house ownership etc, sponsorship our daughter filled the form in NZ and sent me that with the required proof. Only the EOI goes to New Zealand - we sent ours tracked Royal Mail cost about £7.50, post seems to be quick at mo as I sent a small parcel to Auckland Saturday and it arrived their Thursday. Rest of the application goes to London. You only get the EOI paperwork bk when the ITA comes back-they email you to say the EOI has been received. Hope my replies are making sense!
Perfect sense - thanks.

Picture is becoming clearer as I work my way through it.

Proving that you have adequate use of English is interesting.

"Showing that you have an English-speaking
background
To show that you have an English-speaking background
you must show us evidence that you completed:
• all your primary education, and at least three years of
your secondary education, at a school or schools that
taught in English, or
• at least five years of your secondary education at a
school or schools that taught in English, or
• a course taught in English that took at least
three years and led to a tertiary qualification"

Although the response "Hang on, I was born in the UK and have lived there all my life" may cover this, how do you prove it?

Off the top of my head (shiny) I can't think of any evidence I have to hand which can prove which schools I attended. I may (with archaeological levels of excavation) be able to locate my GCSE certificates but I am not sure that this proves that I was studying at a school that taught in English at a secondary level for 5 years.

Anyone who did not progress beyond 'O' Levels (back in the day) would not have an A level in English nor any Tertiary education.

Practically it shouldn't be a problem, as I spikz Unglisk lake wot evrwun elz duz it's just the interesting question of how I prove it to fit in with the rules.

How do you prove that you lived in the UK all your life and were educated there if you didn't keep all your certificates?

At least the migration web site is up again

I know I'm being picky, it just that I thought "Hang on, it's obvious" followed by "O.K. how do I prove it". Birth certificate and current passport show born in UK and current UK national, but the intervening period????

Last edited by MrsFychan; Feb 21st 2016 at 5:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.