Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

SMC visa - points in excess of 170 are not useful?

SMC visa - points in excess of 170 are not useful?

Old May 8th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

londoner91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SMC visa - points in excess of 170 are not useful?

Hello,

I'm currently submitting my EOI for my SMC resident visa. I was given some very useful, and what seems like very important advice from another forum, when I was trying to claim for as many points as possible. (I had 170 points, but was trying to get more to increase my chances).

I was told this is not how it works - once you have your 160 or above points, you automatically qualify for the pool, and will be picked for an ITA. Is that correct? I was told by the very helpful forum user that actually, claiming points in excess of 160 just gives immigrationNZ more to investigate and check against, and will therefore require me to provide more evidence. They said if I can meet the minimum points required, then there is no point going overboard with more points.

Basically with my job offer outside of auckland, age, and recognised qualification, I am luckily on 170 points. I was going to claim extra points for work experience, but can anyone confirm there is not really much point in doing this, if I already have the 170 points? It just saves me filling out that section of the EOI form, and saves having to provide evidence for it, if I do not claim points for it.

Many thanks for any help.
Old May 8th 2017, 10:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SMC visa - points in excess of 170 are not useful?

160 is the required points, so as long as you have filled the EOI calculator in correctly you should get selected in the pull after submission. If you can prove that the points that you are claiming for are correct and the salary offered on the job offer and the job offer itself meets with NZ Immigration then it should be all go.
Old May 8th 2017, 11:09 am
Just Joined

londoner91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SMC visa - points in excess of 170 are not useful?

Ace, thank you! Full steam ahead.