Skilled Employment - Lifeguard

Old May 19th 2013, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

SteffanJohnAus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Employment - Lifeguard

Hi.

I am in New Zealand on a working holiday visa and employed as a lifeguard.

I have been looking at skill select and the skilled migrant visa process, looking to hopefully gain permanent residency.

Lifeguard is listed as skilled employment if you have 3 years experience and a qualification (which I have),

Going through the point selector, I qualify with 130 points -

1) Currently in skilled employment
2) Qualification level 4 (national certificate)
3) 3 Years experience
4) Age (20-29)

With 130 points, I am likely to get pulled out of the Expression of Interest pool and invited to apply for the PM visa.

But, I'm guessing that they only select applications of REALLY skilled people who can offer something to New Zealand. Doctors, Engineers etc.....

Do you agree? Will a lifeguard application get picked, or will they decline, knowing that there are plenty of Kiwi's who can do the job?

Thanks for your advice.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

bahluah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Employment - Lifeguard

INZ sets up rules of the game, and they will follow their own rules.

If INZ defines some job as skilled, then it is. It does not matter if it is a lifeguard or a doctor, if it is on the list, then you're qualified, and the selection is based on your total points.

Last edited by bahluah; May 19th 2013 at 10:38 pm.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

it is possible to be pulled if you have 130 with points for skilled occupation but its not very often.
if you could get an offer of work that would take you through the magic 140 and be selected on the next drawer after updating your EOI to having a job offer.
Old May 20th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteffanJohnAus
Hi.

I am in New Zealand on a working holiday visa and employed as a lifeguard.

I have been looking at skill select and the skilled migrant visa process, looking to hopefully gain permanent residency.

Lifeguard is listed as skilled employment if you have 3 years experience and a qualification (which I have),

Going through the point selector, I qualify with 130 points -

1) Currently in skilled employment
2) Qualification level 4 (national certificate)
3) 3 Years experience
4) Age (20-29)

With 130 points, I am likely to get pulled out of the Expression of Interest pool and invited to apply for the PM visa.

But, I'm guessing that they only select applications of REALLY skilled people who can offer something to New Zealand. Doctors, Engineers etc.....

Do you agree? Will a lifeguard application get picked, or will they decline, knowing that there are plenty of Kiwi's who can do the job?

Thanks for your advice.
Hi,
There isn't a priority order to skilled people applying that I'm aware of.
Skilled is skilled no matter what area of the LTSSL you satisfy.

If you submit eoi with 130 points it is unlikely to be selected from the pool.
There is a chance but very small.
Have a look at the historical selections for this year :-
http://formshelp.immigration.govt.nz...ts/eoi2013.htm

With a job offer you would earn another 50 or 60 points which would place your eoi in the zone of automatic selection at the next fortnightly pull.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replys.
I have already claimed points for the job offer....

Total is 130 at the moment.
Would getting 140, means definite choosing to apply for residency?
If I claim point for my experience overseas and experience in NZ, my points are 140.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:39 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

140 is an automatic selection at the next selection day.

You really do need to make sure that the points you are claiming are valid as they will check them and if they are not they will throw your application back so could be a waste of money so you really do need to be sure you are claiming the correct points.

can you give a run down on how you get yours points as there are some very good people on here that are really great at getting the points sorted
Old May 20th 2013, 9:46 am

I had a quick look on the Long term and Immediate List and did not come up with Life Guard.

I used http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=3

what classification code do you have?
Old May 20th 2013, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

So, I would lodge and expression of interest, with hope of applying via skilled migrant visa.

Lifeguard is not on the long term skills shortage, future growth area or area of absaloute skills shortage.

It is listed in part C of the 'skilled employment' list.

Here is the ANZSCO definition -

452414 LIFEGUARD

Looks after the safety of people at beaches or swimming pools through accident prevention and rescue, and educating the public on water safety. This occupation requires high levels of physical fitness, sporting ability and personal commitment as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 3

Coming under part c, you require a national certificate and 3 years of experience, which I have.

My job offer is of skilled employment.

So, on with the points indicator -

Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? YES (50 points)
Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) YES (40 points)
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) 4 YEARS (15 points)
Number of years of relevant work experience in New Zealand 1 YEAR(5 points)
What is your current age? 20-29 (30 points)

Total - 140

Is this right?
Old May 20th 2013, 8:00 pm

I'm not very good on the points bit so will highlight this post to some that are, hopefully they will be along soon
Old May 21st 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks.

Will wait to see what other think.
Old May 22nd 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

So, I would lodge and expression of interest, with hope of applying via skilled migrant visa.

Lifeguard is not on the long term skills shortage, future growth area or area of absaloute skills shortage.

It is listed in part C of the 'skilled employment' list.

Here is the ANZSCO definition -

452414 LIFEGUARD

Looks after the safety of people at beaches or swimming pools through accident prevention and rescue, and educating the public on water safety. This occupation requires high levels of physical fitness, sporting ability and personal commitment as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 3

Coming under part c, you require a national certificate and 3 years of experience, which I have.

My job offer is of skilled employment.

So, on with the points indicator -

Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? YES (50 points)
Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) YES (40 points)
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) 4 YEARS (15 points)
Number of years of relevant work experience in New Zealand 1 YEAR(5 points)
What is your current age? 20-29 (30 points)

Total - 140

Is this right?
Looks good to me.
Old May 22nd 2013, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good to me, anything over 100 with offer of employment will get picked, so you have some room for manoever if they query any points.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks for the advice.
Only one problem there might be that I would like your thoughts on...

"Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) YES (40 points)"

I am a bit confused about this.

The qualification is a Pool Lifeguard Practicing Certificate. I'm guessing that is a National Certificate. So, is it level 3 or 4? Also it states somewhere for 3/4 only trade certificates are accepted.

Also, ANZSCO states lifeguard as a skill level 3...

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Anybody?
Old May 30th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Great, thanks for the advice.
Only one problem there might be that I would like your thoughts on...

"Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) YES (40 points)"

I am a bit confused about this.

The qualification is a Pool Lifeguard Practicing Certificate. I'm guessing that is a National Certificate. So, is it level 3 or 4? Also it states somewhere for 3/4 only trade certificates are accepted.

Also, ANZSCO states lifeguard as a skill level 3...

Any ideas?

Thanks.
To establish the level and points I would recommend PAR via NZQA which is the proper process. Once you have the results you can mention the reference to Immigration in your EOI submission.
You give NZQA your qualification details and they decide to what level you should be claiming on the EOI. Takes 20 days and doesn't cost that much I don't think.

If you get Invitation To Apply in the future you will have to get the qualification formally assessed by NZQA which takes longer and is more expensive but is necessary. A similar process but you send in all the paperwork associated with your qualification and NZQA carry out a full assessment.

Unfortunately you can't just guess at the level to choose on the EOI. You must get it right or you risk Immigration declining your submission.