Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Setting up nz bank account...address issue

Setting up nz bank account...address issue

Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up nz bank account...address issue

Hi there

I'm just looking for some advice. I'm moving to new Zealand in 2 weeks. I need to set myself up with a nz bank account.
I have looked on nz bank websites and a permanent address in nz is required. I am renting a room in a house share. I will ideally be there for some time. But it is just temporary circumstances where renting. I just want to clarify that this is ok? I won't meet with issues setting up a nz account?
Old Aug 19th 2017, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up nz bank account...address issue

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Hi there

I'm just looking for some advice. I'm moving to new Zealand in 2 weeks. I need to set myself up with a nz bank account.
I have looked on nz bank websites and a permanent address in nz is required. I am renting a room in a house share. I will ideally be there for some time. But it is just temporary circumstances where renting. I just want to clarify that this is ok? I won't meet with issues setting up a nz account?

Should be fine the bank let us use hotel address to get us going and then we quickly changed to a PO Box

PO boxes are pretty popular way for folks to receive mail here. Not sure if you can apply from overseas but you can go into Post Shop and sort it as soon as you get here:

https://www.nzpost.co.nz/personal/re...x-private-bags
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up nz bank account...address issue

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Hi there

It was always much easier to open a bank account in New Zealand than it was in the UK during my lifetime. In recent years, the banks here have had to start implementing Anti Money Laundering checks so they do actually ask for some evidence of who you are and where you are located now and don't just take your word for it like they used to.

If you will be renting a room then I would expect that you would have to sign an agreement that confirms the address. That should be good enough for the bank.

Otherwise, once you have a government letter addressed to you at that address (for example you get an IRD number or register a car) those should be good enough.