Route to NZ

Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

EcosseHomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Route to NZ

Hi, I'm making plans to relocate myself & family (wife + 2 kids) to NZ. I'm a mechanical design engineer with 7 years experience, and I'm hoping to land a job offer while we are still in the UK then apply for a work to residency visa. However, if getting a job offer proves to be difficult, I'm considering making the move over without a job offer and searching for employment there. Could I make this work on a WHV for myself & visitor visas for my family? I'd have enough money to make a go of it for 9 months or so. My hope is that I'd secure a job during that time with an accredited employer then apply for a work visa that I could support my family on as well. Does anyone see any potential pitfalls with this method (except from not finding a job, spending all our savings and returning to UK with tails between our legs!)
Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Route to NZ

Hi and welcome to BE.

First things first I suppose.

You would not be able to make the move over using a combination of WHV and visitors visa. Both are for holiday purposes . It would be likely that immigration would query your intent if you and your family would be on differing visas.

Yes. Do try to gain a job offer in advance if you can. If not then maybe line up some interviews and just you come in with the purpose of attending those but declare this to NZ Immy.

Compacsort is an NZIS accredited employer and is currently looking for a mech design engineer.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, you're laughing with that career. I'm almost certain you'll get a work offer before having to come out. Most engineering firms are hiring but if you want the easy life go with an agent but you'll get a better offer direct. Check council websites too, just go where the work is. Failing that come out on your own, give yourself a couple of months to make it or fly back if not (you can gamble cos you won't need a return fair but your famo would). Massive immigration squeeze going on it seems but seriously, engineers will always be in demand
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Arthur Dent 666 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would echo what's been said about your career and experience, but throw in the caveat that immigration matters do indeed seem a lot stricter than has been reported. I don't know if this is a 'new government' thing, or if it came in on the back of the outgoing one. Either way, my missus (who has 10+ years of software development experience behind her) has found it impossible to get interviews or offers whilst in the UK. We are preparing to go out on Visitor-only passports and visas, and have taken the expensive step of using a migration agent to help us out at the NZ end. Good luck, and let's wish each other well...
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:33 am
Just Joined

EcosseHomme is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who has responded so quickly...
I've only just registered my CV with a couple of agents who specialize in my field, they too are skeptical about my chances of getting an offer while still in the UK but I'm willing to give it a try for a short while.

I applied for that role at Compacsort a couple of days ago and was instantly rejected, there was a whole section on the application about current visa status and my right to work in NZ, which I obviously had to tick no to all of them, the rejection was so quick it almost seemed like an auto-reply!!!

If nothing looks like happening over the next month then I want a Plan B to get us there, albeit a risky one...

Unfortunately, circumstances wouldn't allow me to leave myself and have my family join me later.

Thanks for confirming BEVS about the WHV, it would look strange I guess if we had different visas and the last thing I want is to be turned away at immigration control. My only reasoning for suggesting that route is that I thought it would be easier to get interviews if I could say I was legally entitled to work in NZ on a WHV.

If we all went out on UK visitor visas then that would give us 6 months there. Could I then legally interview for a job and apply for a work visa if I was offered a job?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by EcosseHomme

I applied for that role at Compacsort a couple of days ago and was instantly rejected, there was a whole section on the application about current visa status and my right to work in NZ, which I obviously had to tick no to all of them, the rejection was so quick it almost seemed like an auto-reply!!!
Actually as they are NZIS accredited you would have the right to work in New Zealand provided they offered you the position. They have the right to employ you.
It is job offer first , then visa application.
Perhaps contact their HR dept again regarding this fact , although it is something they should already know.
Include that if offered the position you would be there to start within a certain timeframe. Make that timely.

If we all went out on UK visitor visas then that would give us 6 months there. Could I then legally interview for a job and apply for a work visa if I was offered a job?
Yes.

Often the issue with being overseas is that the employer takes a chance that the person changes their mind or keeps setting back their start date. Boots on ground is always better.