How can I prove I speak english

Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

scotsgranny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can I prove I speak english

I was born in UK of British parents, grandparents, greatgrand parents etc.
How can I prove that English is my first language. I'll be 70 next week and every school I went to has gone.

TIA

Una
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I prove I speak english

Why do you need to prove this?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

The form says I have to prove that I can speak English and provide details of English speaking schools I have attended. These schools have long gone.
Seems to me that the forms are biased towards non-English speakers
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not contact the LEA's (or the appropriate councils)for the schools you attended? Even if the schools have "gone" there should be records surely?
LEA's change but they'll be able to backtrack.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I'll try that
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scotsgranny
The form says I have to prove that I can speak English and provide details of English speaking schools I have attended. These schools have long gone.
Seems to me that the forms are biased towards non-English speakers
Hi Scotsgranny.

Which forms are we talking about.

If you were born in the UK, educated in English and English is your first language , then I am not sure why you have to prove this.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:17 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You have to prove it for a SMC application.

Are you applying for a visa via family, as a parent?

For a SMC application you don't need to provide any documentation as long as it looks reasonable that you have a good standard of English. Obviously you are not applying for that though but your visa may be similar.
For me that meant ticking that I met the required standard and filling in a box writing something like the following: I was born in England to English speaking parents and all my education was in English.

If you were born in a non english speaking country then you will often have to provide other proof however. I think Scotland is classed as acceptable
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

I got a bit bogged down reading all the forms :-) This is what it says.

all your primary education, and at least three years of your secondary education, at a school or schools that taught in English, or

at least five years of your secondary education at a school or schools that taught in English, or

a course taught in English that took at least three years and led to a tertiary qualification,

I'm sure Scots counts :-)
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Oops, I'm applying as a parent. Now I'm not sure if I need it or not
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get an affidavit stating

I went to Auchtermuchty Academy from Year X to Year Y. Sworn before a Notary and signed in blood.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

That sounds like a solution
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
You have to prove it for a SMC application.
Bad use of English language on my part. I rather meant you don't need to provide evidence if English is your first language..

Originally Posted by scotsgranny
Oops, I'm applying as a parent. Now I'm not sure if I need it or not
You don't need to provide any evidence Scotsgranny. All you need do is tick the relevant boxes.

So.

For box E1 you ignore the first couple of statements and look down to tick " Otherwise meet the guide"

Then for Box E2 you write your reason why.
Something like
"Born and bred in Scotland. English is first/only kanguage. All education and training in English all my life"

or in words of your own choosing.

That is all you need do.

Providing evidence is only for those whose first language is not English.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. I didn't notice the bad English. I remembered I had two diplomas. A 3 year one for Spanish and a two year one for Japanese and they would have worked. It's better that I don't need tem.

Thanks again