Permanent Residency & name changes

Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Grumpy_Goby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residency & name changes

Hey all!

So 2 years in and all is well, and I am getting married (to my British expat fiancé) in April... I am also due to upgrade from Resident to Permanent resident visa status! But I am totally befuddled about the best order to do this in....

1: I change my UK passport name, then apply for PR in my new name (assuming I can upgrade, name change and transfer into the new passport all at once??)

2: I get the PR first in my old name, then get my name change bits done from the U.K. and go back to INZ to get it transferred after...

Obviously the first is preferable but I don’t know how easy it will be to get INZ to do the name change/transfer and residency bits at the same time? Any advise?

We want to get the passport changed as kids are on the cards and I have been told it can bit a bit of a pain if mother and children have different names when travelling - otherwise I wouldn’t bother!

Claire
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 10:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency & name changes

Personally I would contact Immigration and ask them. If you are not planning on travelling out of the country for a while you do not need to do the removal of travel conditions on the anniversary but anytime after (before leaving the country if you want to come back).
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency & name changes

I managed a UK passport switch plus a perm residence upgrade sticker under one standard fee. I think they do use common sense. I wasn't under time constraints so I went with a 'surely they will do this under 1 transaction' and luckily they did, if you're in a hurry then ask.