Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand / Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)

Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:06 pm   #1
Just Joined

jimbo49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Parent Category......What Happens Next ?

When the Parent Category closed in October 2016 there were probably in excess of 4000 EOI applications in the pool (3540 after August draw).

When the category reopens in October 2018, the number of visas available per year will be reduced by more than 60% (from 5500 to 2000).

This means that the new quarterly EOI draw number is likely to be around the 300 figure (to include couples, singles & fails).
On that basis, it will take years just to empty the pool of pre October 2016 EOI applications.

If the category rules remain unchanged, then the number of additions to the pool will far exceed those leaving the pool. That is clearly insustainable.

So it seems certain that the existing rules will change and probably result in a NEW pool for applications submitted under the NEW rules.

Now for some questions.....

What has happened on previous occasions when NEW rules have been introduced?

Will NEW rule EOIs take precedence over those already in the pool?

Will EOIs already in the pool still be processed (very slowly !!) by INZ even after rule changes?

Will EOIs already in the pool be vetted to see if they meet the NEW rules and if so, will they moved into the NEW pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to reapply under new rules yet still retain their submission date from the old pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to withdraw their EOI altogether and have their fee refunded?

Yes I know some of this will be guesswork but having spent 18 months in the EOI pool already, the thought of remaining in the pool for years is dreadful.
jimbo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:07 pm   #2

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Category......What Happens Next ?

Hi Jimbo

Perhaps this may answer some of your questions

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...arent-category
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:03 am   #3
Just Joined

Thank you but I was already aware of that Q&A document from INZ which deals with the immediate impact of the temporary closure of the category.

My questions are about past experiences when new rules have been implemented.

I know from the August 2016 EOI draw and also from the above Q&A that there were still some applications outstanding from the Sibling and Adult Child category.

I would be interested to hear what options were given by INZ to these applicants when that category closed in 2012.

I know that there is no guarantee that past options will be repeated, but it will help me understand how INZ decisions impact EOIs already submitted,
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:38 am   #4

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

from that link it states that any queued applications will start to be assessed in 2018/2019 til it reaches the quota and then I assume that those left will then wait for the following year/s.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:13 am   #5
Just Joined

The queued applications that the document refers to are those actually being processed ie. after ITA but not yet offered residency. They are the successful applicants that may need to wait until visa spaces become available in 2018/19.

The document does state that a policy review will be undertaken to help manage the applications under the new cap. Bearing in mind that there over 4000 applications sitting in the EOI pool (potentially 8000 individuals) that is why I'm keen to get a view on what happened to EOI applicants the last time the category changed.

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand / Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)