British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Parent Category......What Happens Next ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/parent-category-what-happens-next-903592/)

jimbo49 Sep 20th 2017 2:06 pm

Parent Category......What Happens Next ?

When the Parent Category closed in October 2016 there were probably in excess of 4000 EOI applications in the pool (3540 after August draw).

When the category reopens in October 2018, the number of visas available per year will be reduced by more than 60% (from 5500 to 2000).

This means that the new quarterly EOI draw number is likely to be around the 300 figure (to include couples, singles & fails).
On that basis, it will take years just to empty the pool of pre October 2016 EOI applications.

If the category rules remain unchanged, then the number of additions to the pool will far exceed those leaving the pool. That is clearly insustainable.

So it seems certain that the existing rules will change and probably result in a NEW pool for applications submitted under the NEW rules.

Now for some questions.....

What has happened on previous occasions when NEW rules have been introduced?

Will NEW rule EOIs take precedence over those already in the pool?

Will EOIs already in the pool still be processed (very slowly !!) by INZ even after rule changes?

Will EOIs already in the pool be vetted to see if they meet the NEW rules and if so, will they moved into the NEW pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to reapply under new rules yet still retain their submission date from the old pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to withdraw their EOI altogether and have their fee refunded?

Yes I know some of this will be guesswork but having spent 18 months in the EOI pool already, the thought of remaining in the pool for years is dreadful.

MrsFychan Sep 20th 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Parent Category......What Happens Next ?

Hi Jimbo

Perhaps this may answer some of your questions

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...arent-category

jimbo49 Sep 21st 2017 8:03 am

Thank you but I was already aware of that Q&A document from INZ which deals with the immediate impact of the temporary closure of the category.

My questions are about past experiences when new rules have been implemented.

I know from the August 2016 EOI draw and also from the above Q&A that there were still some applications outstanding from the Sibling and Adult Child category.

I would be interested to hear what options were given by INZ to these applicants when that category closed in 2012.

I know that there is no guarantee that past options will be repeated, but it will help me understand how INZ decisions impact EOIs already submitted,

MrsFychan Sep 21st 2017 9:38 am

from that link it states that any queued applications will start to be assessed in 2018/2019 til it reaches the quota and then I assume that those left will then wait for the following year/s.

jimbo49 Sep 21st 2017 10:13 am

The queued applications that the document refers to are those actually being processed ie. after ITA but not yet offered residency. They are the successful applicants that may need to wait until visa spaces become available in 2018/19.

The document does state that a policy review will be undertaken to help manage the applications under the new cap. Bearing in mind that there over 4000 applications sitting in the EOI pool (potentially 8000 individuals) that is why I'm keen to get a view on what happened to EOI applicants the last time the category changed.

LittleGreyCat May 5th 2018 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jimbo49 (Post 12342459)
When the Parent Category closed in October 2016 there were probably in excess of 4000 EOI applications in the pool (3540 after August draw).

When the category reopens in October 2018, the number of visas available per year will be reduced by more than 60% (from 5500 to 2000).

This means that the new quarterly EOI draw number is likely to be around the 300 figure (to include couples, singles & fails).
On that basis, it will take years just to empty the pool of pre October 2016 EOI applications.

If the category rules remain unchanged, then the number of additions to the pool will far exceed those leaving the pool. That is clearly insustainable.

So it seems certain that the existing rules will change and probably result in a NEW pool for applications submitted under the NEW rules.

Now for some questions.....

What has happened on previous occasions when NEW rules have been introduced?

Will NEW rule EOIs take precedence over those already in the pool?

Will EOIs already in the pool still be processed (very slowly !!) by INZ even after rule changes?

Will EOIs already in the pool be vetted to see if they meet the NEW rules and if so, will they moved into the NEW pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to reapply under new rules yet still retain their submission date from the old pool?

Will they be given the opportunity to withdraw their EOI altogether and have their fee refunded?

Yes I know some of this will be guesswork but having spent 18 months in the EOI pool already, the thought of remaining in the pool for years is dreadful.

We have more or less given up on waiting to be asked to apply. Something akin to winning a lottery, pools etc. which would be nice but very unlikely.
Of the points that you list, I think having fees refunded is least likely - you pay to play and that is it.
Another couple of years (or more) to clear those already applying probably, then if they start pulling from the EOI queue it will only be a trickle.

jimbo49 May 5th 2018 10:58 am

LittleGreyCat don't give up just yet. If the INZ website is correct then they should be issuing their new plans for this category quite soon. I only hope they don't create a situation similar to supermarket queues.....like when more tills get opened and everybody at the back of the queue rushes through before the people who were ahead of them.

MrsFychan May 6th 2018 9:15 am

from what I understand the people in the already selected will be dealt with first and then it will go from date of application

LittleGreyCat May 8th 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12495109)
from what I understand the people in the already selected will be dealt with first and then it will go from date of application

The main question will be the "run rate". 300 a year may take a very long time to clear the outstanding EOIs.

jimbo49 May 8th 2018 12:16 pm

My guesstimate was 300 per quarterly EOI draw but that still means a very long time to clear the EOI pool. The Q&A document issued when the category was closed stated.....

" A review of Parent policy will be undertaken, with the aim of ensuring that potential applications can be managed under the new lower cap without creating even longer queues."

So they want to keep the queue short but select fewer applicants..??.... = standby for some major changes to the category rules.

Of course the review & changes to numbers was instigated by the last government so it's possible that the new government could have less demanding targets. ( !! )

BEVS May 10th 2018 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo49 (Post 12495996)
My guesstimate was 300 per quarterly EOI draw but that still means a very long time to clear the EOI pool. The Q&A document issued when the category was closed stated.....

" A review of Parent policy will be undertaken, with the aim of ensuring that potential applications can be managed under the new lower cap without creating even longer queues."

So they want to keep the queue short but select fewer applicants..??.... = standby for some major changes to the category rules.

Of course the review & changes to numbers was instigated by the last government so it's possible that the new government could have less demanding targets. ( !! )

Unlikely.

Winston Peters is not known for his kindness to immigration policies.

Ex Bristol May 11th 2018 11:18 pm

What happens next? well a lot of advantage has been taken of the old situation, and sponsors have brought their parents to "babysit" then decided Australia might be better, leaving parents behind in NZ with no income. Here is one thing that had to be done for them

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/749...rnment-funding

amkendall02 Jul 9th 2018 1:40 am

We too are waiting anxiously on what happens in the next few weeks, we have been in the EOI Tier 1 pool since Jan 2016 when we had our hopes dashed in October 2016.
We are grandparents with no immediate family in the UK and are currently living temporarily in NZ until June/July 2019, we have decided that this is our last chance to join our son, partner and 3 grandchildren but we are not holding out much hope as it seems NZ immigration will have to change the criteria of the parent category as already stated above, and I don't think this will be in our favour.
We have been trying since 2013 but our previous EOI was rejected because our son worked in Fiji for 3 years (for a NZ company) and therefore did not comply with the sponsorship requirements of 3 years "residing" in NZ even though he came to NZ in 2009.

LittleGreyCat Aug 4th 2018 2:26 pm

It might be sensible to poll those who have put in an EOI to see if they are still interested 2 years down the line.

jimbo49 Aug 4th 2018 3:34 pm

A poll is an interesting idea but as not all EOI applicants use this forum, I guess it probably wouldn't achieve a great deal.

What really, really frustrates me about all of this is that here we are about 22 months down the track from the closure and yet there is STILL no public news about what the 'new' rules are going to be. Of course that assumes that there will be a parent category and it will have new rules. The MBIE review must be complete. The setting of a re-open date is one thing but the government / INZ must surely know by now (and have probably known for a long, long time) that some / many of the EOIs in the pool will no longer qualify for a visa. Yet, they have stubbornly kept quiet about their plans. These EOIs are not from 20, 30, 40 year olds, nearly all are from 60, 70 & 80 year old people so for them, to be kept waiting for 2 years is really poor.

Key dates just seem to come and go....the "expected" June announcement date has quietly been erased from the INZ notice and on July 1st, a new immigration year started .....but still no news is forthcoming.

Come on INZ, keep the re-open date secret if you must but please can we have some news about the plans for the Parent Category !