Mental Health

Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all
Default Mental Health

Looking for a bit of information.

I have been offered job and my visa has been granted. I have recently submitted a medical to the company that offered me the job. Their independent medical advisors have not given me the clearance to progress due to the information that is on my medical. I can only assume this is due to my mental health illness. I have a personality disorder but it is controlled and I am stable on medication and I currently work fine with no problems. I have to contact one of their recruitment managers when they open to discuss it. I am so gutted and hope I can work a way around this. Anyone know of a similar experience that's happened to someone?
Old Apr 10th 2017, 7:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health

If immigration didn't have a problem why should they? or did you obtain a visa without a medical?
Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

No I had a medical with mine and I submitted psychiatry reports. The employer is a Government employer as well, so its all very confusing. I will see what they say tonight.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A Government department ought to know better and I'm not sure they are even allowed to delve into matters of your mental and certainly should not be able to use that information against you. The Human Rights commission would have something to say if you were discriminated against for having a disability or mental health condition.

https://www.hrc.co.nz/your-rights/pe...s/your-rights/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 10th 2017 at 9:41 pm. Reason: Add link
Old Apr 10th 2017, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that link! I will have a look.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 4:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I think if it stated something in the job description you won't be able to say no. I see a number of jobs stating that they will require you to under go a medical and drug tests to be considered for the position. You need to read through the job description and through all the small print in the job offer.
If neither state anything then they have taken up your references (if they did or didn't up to them) and offered it to you as the best candidate and I would stick to that line and if needs be and as Bo says quote them The Human Rights Act and New Zealand Bill of Rights Act.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

It didn't mention anywhere about mental illness being a bar from the job. There was other information my Doctor put in the medical but that was from when I was a teenager, 8 years ago. It isn't relevant now. I couldn't get through to them last night so I am going to try again tonight.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm difficult situation.

NZ employers are keen to ensure all potential candidates carry out a full medical and drug/alcohol testing prior to taking up a position and I'd guess the employer has every right to decline a person on medical grounds should that person not meet their health policy guidelines......the only issue being you have no idea what their health policy guideline states.
Whatever they notify you when you finally get in touch with them, make sure you either get it in writing or at least record the conversation (making sure you inform whoever it is that you are recording them) as you then have the evidence to investigate to determine if what they are doing is lawful or if it breaches your human rights.

Hard to understand why there's a problem if you take meds that control your condition.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, its all very strange. I was given a clean bill of health. I have no problem taking a drug and alcohol test. I've not had a decline as of yet. Hopefully I get in contact with them tonight. I will ask for the reason why in writing as you said. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

I spoke to my Doctor. He is going to write a letter stating that I am completely fit for work and there has been no incidences of sickness due to my illness. I hope this helps.