Medical Declined!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice
Default Re: Medical Declined!!!

Well done Howden, I admire people that can offer support whilst issuing a rebuff to those who appear to offer negative advice which comes across as demeaning. I have always suffered with a weight issue since I was at infant school, so can appreciate like yourself Howden and Kags that it is not an easy feat to loose weight. Whilst I acknowledge some issues raised that calorie intake does count to an extent, other issues like which Kags is suffering from should be taken into account. As adults we should acknowledge that we are all different and that our bodies all react differently to whatever is done to it and personal thoughts, negativity and blame should be left to one side when responding to someone obviously reaching out for compassion and support. It is bad enough being ridiculed as a child as they know no different, however this does not excuse this behaviour. If someone can not respond positively and not apportioning blame then they should remain silent. I know this board is for people to give advice and offer their expereinces to aid newbies through the difficult immigration experience, but I do not see some of the comments made here as being positive to Kags at all.
My heart goes out to you Kags and I sincerely hope that your dreams come true and take heed that as Howden said you can't change who you are or what you are.... you are beautiful inside and out and no one can take that away ever.
Steve and Dee
ps sorry if this posting is long winded but I felt what I have written was needed.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:17 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Received email today to say that due to BMI being high, my medical has been declined. (no other health problems)

Two choices now:

(a) Medical Wavier?

(b) It it possible to take me of our application, my husband and son
get there PR, and for my hubby to sponsor me?

Keep on reading email, but totally confused by all of the paragraphs, I think I need to leave it a couple of days, and read it again

We have been given to the middle of August to decide.
I need to lose a further 2.1/2 stone to get my BMI down to below 40.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Hi
just popped into here by mistake usually on the middle east.
If you want some diet guidence there is on line weightwatcher or Gillian mckeith has a special diet plan. you have to pay to join them but if it means getting a job and someone telling you what and how much to eat it might be worth it. Diets without guidence never really work and there are so many of them it can become confusing!
surf the net and look for a diet plan that suits you or join a group!
Good Luck if not get a job in Dubai they dont test you for that over here
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by over50
Well done Howden, I admire people that can offer support whilst issuing a rebuff to those who appear to offer negative advice which comes across as demeaning. I have always suffered with a weight issue since I was at infant school, so can appreciate like yourself Howden and Kags that it is not an easy feat to loose weight. Whilst I acknowledge some issues raised that calorie intake does count to an extent, other issues like which Kags is suffering from should be taken into account. As adults we should acknowledge that we are all different and that our bodies all react differently to whatever is done to it and personal thoughts, negativity and blame should be left to one side when responding to someone obviously reaching out for compassion and support. It is bad enough being ridiculed as a child as they know no different, however this does not excuse this behaviour. If someone can not respond positively and not apportioning blame then they should remain silent. I know this board is for people to give advice and offer their expereinces to aid newbies through the difficult immigration experience, but I do not see some of the comments made here as being positive to Kags at all.
My heart goes out to you Kags and I sincerely hope that your dreams come true and take heed that as Howden said you can't change who you are or what you are.... you are beautiful inside and out and no one can take that away ever.
Steve and Dee
ps sorry if this posting is long winded but I felt what I have written was needed.
Thanks for the support, when I posted my question, I have been so upset with some of the comments. People do not take into account, personal circumstances everything is not black and white. I only posted any questions to ask for alternatives routes that would enable us to get to NZ. I feel that I some people are missing or not understanding the big question.

HOW DO WE GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards
Karen
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

Hi Kags,
Why don't you contact your Case Officer and have a talk to them, they might be able to offer some good sound advice. I know u said u have till August to respond I am sure they should be able to help, please don't loose hope here keep your chin up and carry on with what u have been doing. Well done for what u have achieved so far, come August you will be nearer your goal and the immigrations.
In all honesty I don't think splitting the family up is a good idea as you will pine for your family and put more stress on yourself, but at the end of the day only you can decide which is the best solution for your husbands job.
Put the letter to one side, do something you want to do for a change as I know most of us are just milling around trying accompish everything for the move to NZ. Leave the letter for a few days, then re-look at it and give your Case Officer a ring. Having a clear head and being less stressed will enable you to hear and think more clearly, at the minute you are all stewed up, rightly so, but you do need to step back for a day so things will appear clearer.
Hope this helps, there is no real easy answer but like others we are here to support.
Steve and Dee.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

traciridgwell will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the support, when I posted my question, I have been so upset with some of the comments. People do not take into account, personal circumstances everything is not black and white. I only posted any questions to ask for alternatives routes that would enable us to get to NZ. I feel that I some people are missing or not understanding the big question.

Kind Regards
Karen
Oh Kags - my heart goes out to you! Some of your replys have been less than helpful to say the least..........You are definately not alone, I need to lose weight too! I only hope I have your determination to do it - you will get there! Keep going, your dream may be closer than you think ........... all the best x
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of

Hi Kags

I sympathise, our family is on a diet at the moment for fear of the same situation. We all have BMI's over 30. We have just tried to exercise, eat more healthy etc etc, all the tips listed above however, I know it's not easy from personal experience. I have a weakness for all the fatty things in life (hmmm dreaming of a bowl of chips or a piece of chocolate cake). Will power is such an easy thing for someone to talk about but such a hard thing to put into practise especially if you are not used to eating healthy and don't particularly like the taste of healthy things (I HATE salad). Anyway, this wasn't intended to be a post on healthy eating, all I just wanted to say was that I sympathise with you.

I don't know if I'm wrong about this but I'm sure I've read somewhere before that some people who had high BMI's were given like a few months or something to improve their BMI and prove that they were making an effort to lose weight and get into shape. Like I said, I may be wrong about this but perhaps if you speak to your case officer about it he might help you in some way and give you a chance to prove that you are trying to do something about it. Don't know but it's worth trying ANYTHING if it's going to affect your chances of getting into NZ.

Otherwise, do your investigations on the medical waiver. Personally, I don't know anything about it, but some people have been successful (although I have no idea of their own personal circumstances or what reasons they had for doing the waiver) but it's worth a shot. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

alice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nice

Originally Posted by howden40
So sorry to hear you were declined purely for being overweight with no other known health problems. I feel it is always a good idea to leave bad new letters for a day or two then re-visit, you take it in better as it's not such a shock.

Sadly we live in a world who at present seem to be inclined toward 'punishing' anyone who is overweight and apportioning blame for becoming that way. How to make someone feel good - not.

We don't know your history, no-one has the right to say you are filling yourself with 'crap', you may just have a high carbohydrate diet (not all carbohydrates are crappy foods. High protein intake doesn't help either.

Loosing weight IS NOT EASY what is easy is for reformed 'fatties' to sit sanctimoniously on their high laurels and say I did it so why can't you.

Join a gym, hire a personal trainer it's worth it. Yep, but not everyone can afford it financially - I sure couldn't.

Loosing weight is a slow tedious journey but it is worth it. You will 'fall off the rails' but hey your dieting not dead, pick up your diet the next day. You can be really strict and have a treat every 6 weeks or you could do as I did and treat yourself weekly, I had a treat each weekend if I felt like it. Knowing you can't have something makes you want it more.

Start with small but effective changes such as:-

Always have breakfast, the earlier you eat after waking, the quicker your body kicks into using calories up.

Half meat intake and double vegetable intake.

Don't pick when cooking or serving meals, I always 'picked' at the wrong bits, chicken skin, pork crackling, you know the really nice stuff.

Eat at least every 2 hours or so, piece of fruit in between meals, sunflower seeds, raisins, pumpkin seeds (really good for you and always remind me of nuts), if you go long periods without eating you then tend to 'pig out', especially on the wrong type of foods. I used to have breakfast then get 4 slices whole grain bread and make up salad sandwiches, cut bread in half giving me 4 halves then have one half every hour or so with a glass of water, which took me up to teatime - worked for me.

Park your car as far away from supermarket entrance as possible, easy exercise and any increase is better than none.

Walk to supermarket - this is a really good one as you are limited on what you can carry home, so it saves money as well. If your like me you always buy more than you went for, this way you can't.

I bought a pedometer and increased my steps by 1,000 a day until I reached the recommended 10,000. Mainly by walking to the supermarket and back.

Having said all this I have gaily piled on the weight over the last 7 months and now have recommenced my diet. I know it's not going to be easy.

Of course the really quick fix is liposuction - not an avenue I would venture upon, but everyone's different and of course it depends on your financial situation.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not apportion blame to yourself,you are probably feeling bad enough at being declined without punishing yourself further. You are what you are, you can change when you are ready.

Best of Luck and be nice to yourself

Pauline
Hi Pauline !
i just wanted to say - what a positive response to this thread ! It's easy to say "Don't eat crap + exercise 5 times a week" But most people struggle to stay thin + healthy.

Good luck to anyone needing to lose weight ! I know I do !!

Love Alice
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:52 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Kind Regards
Karen
Karen

I'm so sorry that some of the comments made upset you. I'm sure no-one intended to do so, but when writing rather than speaking the words take on a life of their own. Must admit some of the comments upset me and my BMI was 37 at it's highest, having a broken ankle and not being permitted to weight bear for 6 weeks didn't help, I know how hard it is to diet with no to absolute minimal physical exercise, coping with the boredom factor you can turn to 'nibbles' mine were mainly dried fruit and seeds - healthy in themselves but as extras just as fattening as crisps, chips etc.

The big question you were asking was simply HOW DO I GET INTO NZ - I think we all understood this but unfortunately concentrated only on the weight issue which is something we can all relate to and which is also WHAT IS STOPPING YOU.

As stated they like a MBI of 35 or under, I know you can apply for medical wavers but as obesity is a 'life choice' (I don't agree with this phrase and feel it's demining to the obese) I don't think it counts.

However if you are taking positive steps to lose weight along with a letter from GP saying progress made and impact on health you may have some hope.

Question

Are you losing weight under the supervision of your GP or Practice Nurse. Most GP's offer a weight loss clinic, one of the medications they prescribe is not an appetite suppressant but rather a capsule which binds excess fat to inhibit absorbtion. You would be suprised at levels of fat in the 'healthiest' of foods (nuts, seeds etc) and how they accumulate through out the day. Capsules are used to make you aware of hidden fats in your diet so you can make positive life changes to your diet.

I mainly ask this question as your GP would then have a record of your start weight and would then be able to verify weight loss to date.

Best of luck and be good to yourself

Pauline
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:13 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Adventurer
Sorry Kags but
IT IS ONLY DOWN TO WHAT YOU EAT OR AT LEAST THE AMOUNT THAT YOU EAT compared to what you use up.
If you eat more calories than you use you put on weight.
If you eat less than you use you lose weight.
There is no other outcome.

I despair of the majority of overweight, fat and obese people who always have a 'reason' for their predicament.

Physical exercise is normally a relatively small part of weight control unless someone is doing enormous amounts. Perversely small amounts of vigorous exercise can cause many people to put on weight due to the exercise often increasing the appetite and then consuming more than the calories burned in the exercise.
There are some exercises which are especially bad for the calories used equation such as swimming. Swimming, although a very good form of exercise, generally causes massive appetite and extra eating often way above the calories burned. Many people can swim for a few minutes and be ravenous.

Anyway I really like to help people and if anything I have written helps anyone to reevaluate then great. If anything upsets anyone that is just the way it goes.

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE EDITED PARTS OF ADVENTURER'S POST - not to be nasty, just to highlight some points
I particularly like your first comment, harsh but oh so true. I never made excuses for being overweight, I simply changed jobs and was not as physically active and did not allow for it in my diet and the weight increase was slow but steady, then I broke my ankle and became even more inactive. When your used to one diet it is quite difficult to change and lets face it no-one likes to diet and miss out on foods they enjoy, so cut down.

Yes some physical exercise does increase your appetite particularly swimming which is an activity frequently recommended. Due to my ankle and dislike of my body shape I took up aqua aerobics, this did not increase my appetite.

I used to watch people pouring out of the aerobics, step classes etc and go straight for high calorie drinks and snacks which are present at most keep fit establishments.

Perhaps you should consider a weight loss thread as quite a few appear to be asking for advice prior to medicals. On the whole your reply was harsh but fair and direct, stated as a fact rather than apportioning blame.

Sorry and I hope you don't feel this thread appears to have moved somewhat from original question posed. It is all related and you are not alone.

Pauline

Last edited by howden40; Jul 24th 2008 at 2:15 am. Reason: explain had edited some of adventurer's post
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:51 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea NZIS would decline a visa application on BMI alone- I was under the impression that higher BMIs attracted further investigations, as mine did.

Some of the posts here have been supportive and a few just too simplistic and 'blaming' to really be seen as anything other than an opportunistic grasp at the moral highground

Just don't give up- contact your CO, consider a medical waiver (things must have changed hugely in the past 18 months because I was certain BMI greater than 35 warranted further tests- fasting cholesterol etc), mean while keep going with the weight loss. This isn't the end of the road for your move to NZ, if you want it, don't give up
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Received email today to say that due to BMI being high, my medical has been declined. (no other health problems)

Two choices now:

(a) Medical Wavier?

(b) It it possible to take me of our application, my husband and son
get there PR, and for my hubby to sponsor me?

Keep on reading email, but totally confused by all of the paragraphs, I think I need to leave it a couple of days, and read it again

We have been given to the middle of August to decide.
I need to lose a further 2.1/2 stone to get my BMI down to below 40.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Stop eating?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:00 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Some of the posts here have been supportive and a few just too simplistic and 'blaming' to really be seen as anything other than an opportunistic grasp at the moral highground
Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Stop eating?
Case in point

Cottageinthesky- what did you actually gain from such spite?

For the record, I'm not defending obesity- but perhaps whosoever has no 'issues' in their life could cast the first stone.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Stop eating?
Thanks for your encouragement, I will consider it, if you stop breathing!!!!!!

Karen
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

That's what I like to see proper scouse humour! Stick with it you'll get there. And me too one day hopefully. Anyone want to buy a house??
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from hols and thought would check what has been going on in BE world.We are collecting medical results tomorrowI am now really worried as my BMI is just over 40 and like Kags I have no other health probs,am not on any meds etc. We had the extra fasting bloods done at the medical and I did lose weight before hand. Well,will find out soon I suppose. Mind you,have looked into starting at local gym now

Kags,keep your head up and DO NOT STOP TRYING TO GET TO NZ.

Phyllis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.