Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Looking into it - Visa options and questions

Looking into it - Visa options and questions

Old Apr 19th 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Theshrews81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa

< snipped as in the Immy Advisor thread >

What is the length of stay for visitor’s visa if we cant get jobs but want to head over? Can we pay for 9 months?

Do I need to have had our qualifications checked or pre-assessment result?

It recommends starting my application first but I don't want to be in the pool yet

"If you're interested in the IQA for immigration reasons, you should have started the process with Immigration NZ first"
Medical checks when best to book? It says they are only valid for 3 months

"A General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) and Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) (for all applicants, which are no more than three months old when lodged, unless you have previously provided these certificates with an earlier visa application and they were issued less than 36 months ago)."
Do we need to buy medical records for all?

Police checks when? Do we both need one?

What if we don’t find a job?

What if I get a job but delay in processing means visas run out?

Can i get a job outside my experience/ degree but still a skilled job with transferable skills?

EOI before we leave or on offer of a job?

If I get residency are we all in it together (wife, child)?

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 20th 2017 at 6:52 am. Reason: Splice questions from one thread to this thread to help Theshrews .
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa

Originally Posted by Theshrews81

What is the length of stay for visitor’s visa if we cant get jobs but want to head over? Can we pay for 9 months?

It's 6 months for British Citizens and no need to apply for a visa. I believe it can only be extended under certain criteria.

Depends on what they are and where they were gained.

It recommends starting my application first but I don't want to be in the pool yet.

You can start the application but not submit it now, when you submit it you will stay in the pool for 6 months before you are withdrawn. Please check the new criteria that comes into force in August.

Once you have been selected from the Pool and you know for sure that you will received an ITA (invitation to apply). no point before hand. Also look where your nearest panel doctors is as there are only 8 in the whole of the UK.

Not sure what you mean by buy medical records. You have to supply medical records, which will cost you, for everyone over the age of 11 I think it was but then I am sure both my kids got done and they were both under 11. So best check that as I did mine back in 2011

Dependant on what visa you are going for, again check.

Then you will have to leave.

You can get a temporary work visa to allow you to start work before your formal visa comes through. This is what my husband did. Its an extra cost but his company wanted him to start work the next week so it was the only choice he had, obviously you have to pay for it, or you could extend the visitors visa but you would not be able to take up work until you have a valid work visa.

Can i get a job outside my experience/ degree but still a skilled job with transferable skills?

Again depends on the job, the criteria Immigration want to fill that position and if you can show you have the skills required. Back in 2011 when husband applied he claimed points for a degree not in his line of work, he just got less points for it and did not need to get it assessed as it was gained from a NZ recognised establishment.

Depends on what you want to do. Back in 2011 we applied for the EOI before husband flew out on a visitors visa, he then just updated the application when he got the job offer.

Yes and No. Depends on the visa and when you apply as the new rules that are coming in means that some visa's do not automatically allow partners or children and and they will have to gain visa's off their own skills (obviously not the kids, they may have to come over as International Students (?) but not seen anything on that if both parents can gain visa's and are both granted with these new rules.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 20th 2017 at 9:28 am. Reason: quotes
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa

Originally Posted by Theshrews81

Uk is a visa waiver country so it's 6 months. There isn't a formal application process. Your arrival passenger card acts as your visitor visa application / legal document and assuming you meet all the criteria you will be admitted with a stamp in the passport. You will have to approach Immigration in NZ to extend it and it'll only be extended under strict conditions. Max stay for uk is 9 months in any 18 month period.
Wanting more time isn't a good enough reason. Having a work visa application being processed would be a good enough reason.

Not required for a visitor visa.
PAR is only accepted for an EOI for Resident visa application assuming the qualification isn't exempt. You would need to check if the principal and partner qualifications are exempt from assessment or not. Each country has a list.

It recommends starting my application first but I don't want to be in the pool yet

Do the EOI online and save it ready for when you do want to submit.
No point submitting with anything less than 160 as it'll never be selected at the moment.

During ITA stage.

Don't necessarily have to buy them. Don't think we had to pay ? We just went in our GP's and asked for photocopies of all our medical records.

All persons 18 or over must provide police checks for every country they've lived in 12 months or more. Easily done. Just takes a few weeks.

If you apply without a job offer and are approved then you don't have any condition to prove you found a job so you can still stay but it's a matter of if you can survive. You would not be entitled to any benefits for 12 months.
If you apply with a job offer you have a condition to prove you've stayed in the job for a minimum of 3 months.

Don't understand the question!
If there's a delay in processing you don't have a visa. Don't you mean job offer ?
If so you can always apply for a temporary work visa which take a matter of weeks.

You can but unsure how happy immigration would be with it. Even with a job offer immigration wish to have proof of your qualification and skills in the right field.

Down to personal circumstances. As I said before if you can't score 160 points you are wasting your time. You may need a job offer to score enough points so will have to delay EOI submission until then.

Assuming they're all stated on the application yes.
See above. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Theshrews81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking into it - Visa options and questions

Hi all,

Thanks for these answers. They are extremely useful and will help later on.

Very much appreciated,