Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Let's be honest! How easy is it to get PR in Nz

Let's be honest! How easy is it to get PR in Nz

Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:58 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default Let's be honest! How easy is it to get PR in Nz

Hi All,

How easy is it to obtain permanent residency in Nz? I understand it's alot easier than Oz. But is it a matter of getting a job for 2 years with one employer earning 55k or more? Or are there other ways of achieving PR for a 27 year old guy ?

Your thoughts most welcome!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's be honest! How easy is it to get PR in Nz

I'm not finding it easy, looong more like!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi All,

How easy is it to obtain permanent residency in Nz? I understand it's alot easier than Oz. But is it a matter of getting a job for 2 years with one employer earning 55k or more? Or are there other ways of achieving PR for a 27 year old guy ?

Probably a lot easier if you are under 30. Come over on a working holiday visa and see where that leads.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi All,

I am going through the process at the moment and I have to tell you that I have heard that the Oz process is a lot easier. There is nothing easy about what we are going through at the moment.Even my panel doctor described the NZ medical process as anal the other day.

For us it is worth it but we are older and want a rural life.

I have to say if I was your age, I'd choose Oz...much better earning capacity
but like they say...everyone to their own.

I believe that the average earnings in NZ is lower than the $55k you mentioned.

For information on the immigration process visit the New Zealand Immigration site.
www.immigration.govt.nz
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There are an assortment of visa types available .
It is not necessarily a Work to Residence visa, which is the two years on $55K that you mention.

If you have the skills, qualifications and work experience that New Zealand wants and needs, then it should be simply a matter of working through the process towards gaining PR step by step.

If you have a medical condition or 'previous' , then you will be presented with hoops to jump through.

New Zealand is in recession just like anywhere else, so one should bear in mind whether or not one would be able to keep in employment
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:43 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
New Zealand is in recession just like anywhere else
I thought they said NZ was through??
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Well I walked on the top end of Lambton Quay today for first time in ages and was amazed at all the closed down businesses and offices for let. Some new ones had also opened...more nail parlours and hair salons...for goodness sake..how many does a town need?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Transient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really nice

Originally Posted by Matewx
Good grief. None of us are "through". Do you think all the debt created by our governments throwing cash at the problem is just going to evaporate? .
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:24 am
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thank You so much for your responses. I fully understand you can earn more $$$ in Oz however we Brits get more for our £ in Nz. Therefore it will be alot easier purchasing a property with a smaller mortgage. In Oz I would have to work years to even get on the property ladder also theres many more people from across the world trying to get into oz and that means increased competition to achieve PR status. Whereas Nz recieves less applicants.

And finally my younger brother wants to find work in Nz and my parents would like to retire in Nz and I understand it's way easier than Oz some parents have been waiting 10 years to live with their children.

Bev (moderator), my occupation is not on the skills shortage list - so I understand I would need to obtain sponsorship from a Nz Employer?

Again thanks all for your advice
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:39 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi IMZ
If you want PR and your job is not on the skills shortage list then you have two options that I can see-someone help if I'm wrong

1-the WTR visa for which your employer would then need to be accredited by NZIS so can hire overseas staff. This is the one that takes 2y and you need to earn over $55k. You do have to have a job offer to apply for this visa.

2-the Skilled Migrant Category- you have to gain over 100 points to go into the pool and draws are made every 2weeks. It depends on your occupation as to whether you can apply under this category. Points are gained mainly from your age, qualifications, work experience and whether you have a skilled job offer in NZ. You do not need a job offer for this visa as long as you have enough points [though one would help you get picked out of the pool at each draw]

Hope this helps

Sue