IT job hunt

Old Apr 12th 2017, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

tutorj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT job hunt

Hi all, I am new here and was hoping I could get some hints...

How likely would you say it is for an experienced Software Engineer (15+ years' ) to come to NZ as a visitor and find work? I have been applying for jobs from overseas for the last couple of months to no avail... so frustrating.

Another question, as I understood the EOI for RV SMC does not require me to provide any evidence that I actually have a job offer to claim its points, is that so? Only if and when I am invited to apply I would then have 4 months to provide the evidence supporting my points claim. Is it feasible to get invited to apply, fly to NZ and get a job offer to support the claim? Is it even legal or an advisable path altogether?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT job hunt

It is more likely you will find a job here if you place yourself in front of potential employers rather than just trying to find work from overseas. Many employers will see your overseas application and note you don't have any right to work here so just skip over you and go to the next application. Only the desperate employers actively looking for candidates from overseas in roles they cannot fill from within NZ will give you more than a second glance....but these are in a few specific industries only.
It'll still be difficult but not impossible and as a Visitor you will obviously be against a ticking clock as you'll also need sufficient time to get a work visa before the visitor visa runs out (4 weeks maybe).

Correct, the EOI doesn't require any proof or hard evidence as it's an online form you are completing and submitting, but at the time of submitting EOI you should be able to provide evidence of every point claimed. You can't just claim points retrospectively, e.g. you can't claim points for a written skilled job offer (50 points) when you don't in fact have a job offer at the moment you submit the EOI. If you could do stuff like that everybody would be a brain surgeon with a job offer and a PHD in quantum physics !!!
To do so would be fraud and a huge risk, so no.....not legal or advisable.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
It is more likely you will find a job here if you place yourself in front of potential employers rather than just trying to find work from overseas. Many employers will see your overseas application and note you don't have any right to work here so just skip over you and go to the next application. Only the desperate employers actively looking for candidates from overseas in roles they cannot fill from within NZ will give you more than a second glance....but these are in a few specific industries only.
It'll still be difficult but not impossible and as a Visitor you will obviously be against a ticking clock as you'll also need sufficient time to get a work visa before the visitor visa runs out (4 weeks maybe).

Correct, the EOI doesn't require any proof or hard evidence as it's an online form you are completing and submitting, but at the time of submitting EOI you should be able to provide evidence of every point claimed. You can't just claim points retrospectively, e.g. you can't claim points for a written skilled job offer (50 points) when you don't in fact have a job offer at the moment you submit the EOI. If you could do stuff like that everybody would be a brain surgeon with a job offer and a PHD in quantum physics !!!
To do so would be fraud and a huge risk, so no.....not legal or advisable.
Thanks a lot for the help, I take note...

Again to all, have you heard of successful stories of folks on visitor visa actually being offered jobs and applying for the visa while there?
Old Apr 12th 2017, 11:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you gain a job offer whilst i NZ, then you would uplift a temporary work permit.

Yes. People have come to NZ , secured a job offer & applied for the work permit to take up the work.

As Escapedtonz notes it would be fraud to state on an EOI that you have a job offer when you do not.

Originally Posted by Part of EOI declaration
I understand that if I make any false statements, or provide any false or misleading information, or have changed or
altered this form (including the Child Supplement form) in any material way, my Expression of Interest may not be
accepted, any resident visa application may be declined and I may lose any right of appeal. I may become liable for
deportation. I may also be committing an offence and liable to prosecution.
You may not realise but the EOI form is actually what is sent for the ITA. The date of the EOI is noted as are the details given.

Should your job offer date and contract of employment be after the EOI submission date then that will be found and likely result , at the least, in your application being rejected.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 12th 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks BEVS, I mean, I suspected that it would not be legal, at least not ethical, but again the info on the immigration site is a little ambiguous to say the least.
I know better not to screw this up. I am satisfied to know at least that the visitor road is possible, given I have means to hang in there for a good while.