Importing car from UK to NZ

Old May 13th 2016, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

ALangfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing car from UK to NZ

Hi,

May I ask for some advice please.

I am debating to take my beloved mini to NZ with me... She's only 2 and is a mini coupe JCW... they don't make them anymore so impossible to replace with new.

What is the import / GST regime?

What is the procedure for getting it registered onto NZ plates? Does this need to be done straight away?

Can you drive it on UK plates until it is registered onto NZ plates?

Will it need a WOF?

How do you tax it? Can you tax it on UK plates whilst waiting for NZ plates?

How long does all this take?

Thanks very much for your help.

Amy
Old May 13th 2016, 8:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing car from UK to NZ

Originally Posted by ALangfield
Hi,

May I ask for some advice please.

I am debating to take my beloved mini to NZ with me... She's only 2 and is a mini coupe JCW... they don't make them anymore so impossible to replace with new.
so what about parts?

What is the import / GST regime?
It will come of the container and be transporter by truck at your cost to the nearest VTNZ garage, they then will rip it apart to make sure you have not tried to import any non classified stuff. They will then attempt to put it back together. They will look to see if it is road worthy to NZ standard and if not will either not release it or charge you heaps to put it right. At 2year of age it should be fine but you could always email aa.nz and give them the car details: Make, Model,Type of fuel (petrol/diesel), Date of first registration,
How long you have owned it, Expected port of entry in NZ

What is the procedure for getting it registered onto NZ plates? Does this need to be done straight away?
Yes this is done before you can get it on the road. The VTNZ will organise this and give you new plates.

Can you drive it on UK plates until it is registered onto NZ plates?
NO

Will it need a WOF?
Yes done at the VTNZ when they inspect it and give you your plates

How do you tax it? Can you tax it on UK plates whilst waiting for NZ plates?
done at VTNZ then yearly on line or at post shop. It cannot go on the road until it has been registered, passed and WOF'ed

How long does all this take?
Couple of weeks. You also need to go to customs and declare it and pay more money. You will be told that if you sell within a certain amount of years you will be charged at a lowering amount according to the amount of years here. It will cost a bit, can't remember exactly how much for us but think around 2k might cover it but it does depend on many factors one being the cost to transport from the dockside to the nearest VTNZ site.

HTH