Help needed - advice about dumping agent

Old May 14th 2009, 7:00 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help needed - advice about dumping agent

Whilst I hear what you are saying, I don't know whether we just wanna put a lid on it now and move forward. Their letter came with 'without prejudice' on it (and I kinda know why that is there). We hoped to get some of our deposit back too, 'yes that would be nice', but I think we just want to sever the tie and get on with our lives and put it behind us. What I don't want to have happen is them to threaten to take it further and then find we end up paying what they have just agreed to waive. I hope you understand. It's been a rough couple of weeks and I think we are just prepared to put it down to experience (please don't think that we have money to burn and can afford to lose what we have just thrown at them - far from it - but we are now just trying to put the whole experience into context, and that is, when we can proceed with our EOI, we will be doing it for ourselves, and that will be the point we recoup this money back, against the saving we will be making by not using them awful people! Cheers.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:46 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I understand, you just want to chalk it up to experience and move on and forget it now. And it won't be that long before you can start job hunting and getting that EOI filled in
All the best
Sue
Old May 14th 2009, 7:58 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Exactly, Sue. I think in light of the recession and our situation with insufficient points without a job offer, we're gonna take a back seat for a few months - maybe as much as 6 months. This will give us chance to start getting 'our house in order' (literally) and to give things a chance to settle down. I think after reading other threads, it is wholly realistic to leave things a while now, cos being as we will hopefully have a job offer at the time of the EOI, the ITA that follows will be a much speedier process than witout a job (or so I understand it to be). I think an employer would be more willing to wait for my OH then, than now. I will still check in with the site and see what's cookin' but just won't be doing anything formal. Well, I may start chipping away at the EOI and save it, and I have also decided to put some time to contact my OH's customers for references and try and put together a portfolio of evidence, with photos, ready for the ITA. Can't do anymore than that but it will be a good start. Thanks for your kindness, Liza
Old May 14th 2009, 8:28 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Getting as much done now is a good idea so you're not rushing to do it all once you get the ITA. Obviously some things can't be done until then but getting work experience evidence, references, relationship proof and birth certs etc can be sorted out so you're good to go! You're right, with a job offer your application will go through the system a lot quicker. Once selected they take up to 10d to decide on whether you'll get an ITA and 3w-3m to grant visas once they receive the ITA back. The only part that you can influence is how fast you are at sending the ITA back to them so the more you have ready the better.
You wanted to go over in just over a years time anyway and taking a step back for the time being doesn't alter anything at all.
Stay in touch
Sue
Old May 14th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are happy with the result,that's the main thing. Hopefully you will be able to proceed in a few months time and I think it's a good idea getting references etc sorted now as that can be time consuming and to be honest, probably the biggest part of getting the ITA sorted. Good luck

Phyl x
Old May 14th 2009, 1:32 pm
Newbie to NZ

Thanks Phyl. I think we need this next few months to get over recent events from a financial point of view. I will still keep checking the job pages as I do now (though nothing much for Boat Builders) and keep 'popping in' here. It also gives us time to really and truly decide that it is what we want. Can't help but think of all the upheaval, but chatting to majority on this site, it seems to be worth it in the end. That old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' keeps whizzing about my head - should we be grateful for what we have here, will the grass be greener (well, of course it will and there's plenty of it!), etc. I wish you all the luck with your move and will keep my for you that it goes smoothly. Look me up when you get to the 'other side' and let me know how it's going. Good luck for now and thanks again, Liz
Old May 17th 2009, 10:10 pm
Newbie to NZ

OK, so I thought I had put this one to bed, but it's still bugging me. So MB offer to credit all outstanding fees so that no one owned anything. I just wondered what your thoughts are on how you think things may pan out if we try to push for more. We don't want them to suddenly say that they withdraw their good will gesture and we now owe them £'s after all, but we would like them to credit us with the £130 that we paid for the full check assessment - the process was supposed to be done within 5 working days but because it took more like 10, the guy I dealt with indicated to me that we would be getting this money credited back. When the closing invoice was done, they deemed us to owe them £572, however no account had been made of this £130. Are we best to cut our losses completely and move on or do I challenge them for more? Just don't want them to withdraw their gesture especially as they wrote 'without prejudice' on the top of their letter. Would be grateful for your thoughts, thanks, L
Old May 18th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
OK, so I thought I had put this one to bed, but it's still bugging me. So MB offer to credit all outstanding fees so that no one owned anything. I just wondered what your thoughts are on how you think things may pan out if we try to push for more. We don't want them to suddenly say that they withdraw their good will gesture and we now owe them £'s after all, but we would like them to credit us with the £130 that we paid for the full check assessment - the process was supposed to be done within 5 working days but because it took more like 10, the guy I dealt with indicated to me that we would be getting this money credited back. When the closing invoice was done, they deemed us to owe them £572, however no account had been made of this £130. Are we best to cut our losses completely and move on or do I challenge them for more? Just don't want them to withdraw their gesture especially as they wrote 'without prejudice' on the top of their letter. Would be grateful for your thoughts, thanks, L
Hi Lizaberry
Its a horrible situation for you I know we had a similar experience. I can only give advice based on what has happened to us. We were offered a refund but it was only half the amount we felt we should get back, so we didnt accept and kept writing to the company with our reasons why. Then out of the blue about a month later we had a letter from the company saying they were closing the business and our claim would be passed on to the auditors! Well now its over a year since this happened and all attempts have failed to get our monies back. So if I were you I'd take the money, perhaps it would be work asking at citizens advice?
All the best Chris
Old May 18th 2009, 5:24 pm
Newbie to NZ

Originally Posted by alchris
Hi Lizaberry
Its a horrible situation for you I know we had a similar experience. I can only give advice based on what has happened to us. We were offered a refund but it was only half the amount we felt we should get back, so we didnt accept and kept writing to the company with our reasons why. Then out of the blue about a month later we had a letter from the company saying they were closing the business and our claim would be passed on to the auditors! Well now its over a year since this happened and all attempts have failed to get our monies back. So if I were you I'd take the money, perhaps it would be work asking at citizens advice?
All the best Chris
Thanks for that, I was almost giving up all hope of someone responding to me - seems a little quite on hear today don't you think? Thank you for sharing your experience, you must be gutted. How long were you in the process before backing out - for us it was about a week, which is why were so gutted when they still had the cheek to charge £1522. Daylight robbery is what it is. Will do it ourselves when we get to start the process. I notice that your WTR visa has expired, how come? Don't you have to have a job for one of those? Sorry for prying, I don't mean to, but it's good to share experiences, good and bad.

Bye for now, L
Old May 18th 2009, 7:20 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I was almost giving up all hope of someone responding to me - seems a little quite on hear today don't you think? Thank you for sharing your experience, you must be gutted. How long were you in the process before backing out - for us it was about a week, which is why were so gutted when they still had the cheek to charge £1522. Daylight robbery is what it is. Will do it ourselves when we get to start the process. I notice that your WTR visa has expired, how come? Don't you have to have a job for one of those? Sorry for prying, I don't mean to, but it's good to share experiences, good and bad.

Bye for now, L
Hi Lizaberry

While I sympathise with Alchris and know it has probably got you spooked, please remember that the New Zealand Immigration Register of Agents exists now, and the comapany in question is registered there as full members.

As I have said before, I would pursue your claim further, but I also agree with Alchris, and would get some advice from Citizens Advice, in particular on this 'without predujice' statement on their paperwork.

This might help
http://www.andersonlloyd.co.nz/uploa...ne_Argyle).pdf

Good luck
Old May 18th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Bye for now, L
Hi Liz, I would agree it's a bloody cheek,but as we found out they list all the things that were put inplace ready for next stage and charge. Have you asked for a breakdown and proof of the works they have done? We were with ours for about 6 months and all they had done was too assess hubbys skills (originally wanted to go to Oz) it was only after that we found out all the bits of the process and registration they had omitted to tell us. that made a BIG difference to our success of actually getting a visa. Hubby could only get a job in Oz and could only get to Oz with a job offer catch 22!! So we were only asking for the monies back that had been paid for the stages that had not been completed. Never felt we were asking for money to be returned for works that had been done.
Yes unfortunately visa has expired, we couldnt sell, hubby is a electrician so we had enough points without a job offer. We did look at renting etc but without a job to go too and with 2 boys it was a gamble we werent prepared to take. Dont mind you asking at all, only really pop on here from time to time just incase I may be able to help anyone out. Hopefully as things seem to be picking up a bit we may well look into doing EOI again, 2nd time lucky! Not ready to give up on our dream just yet.
Chris
Old May 18th 2009, 8:09 pm
Newbie to NZ

Thanks P2L and Chris. I feel on one hand like I am giving in and just accepting their offer but at the same time thinking that it is time to move on ... for good, and put this mess behind us. In many ways I feel like a fool for never really looking into it as I have since 'dumping' them! It is all too easy to get carried along with the excitement of it all! We never doubted that we wanted to proceed, but just wished we had taken more time before going with MB.

I really want to email them to say we accept BUT want our £130 back but am just frightened that they will withdraw their good will gesture altogether - I feel they have me over a barrel! Shall I or Shant I - vote now!

I'll mull it over a while. Don't want to hack you off over this but I feel I am in good enough company to air my concerns without worrying what you think of me for my deliberations

Last edited by Lizaberry; May 18th 2009 at 8:10 pm. Reason: removed smilies
Old May 20th 2009, 2:34 am
Queen of the Underworld

I agree with Alchris and P2L, have a word with CAB about it. I'm not sure of the implications of the without prejudice comment.
It's a difficult one to decide on as you're right it could go either way. Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Sue
Old May 20th 2009, 3:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think it means that the offer of the refund is simply a geasture of goodwill and in no way implies they take any responsibility or feel that their charges are in anyway wrong. In other words no admission of wrong doing.

That's how I would read it anyway.