Food for thought perhaps.

Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:45 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Food for thought perhaps.

This thread is aimed mainly at peeps who have yet to take the plunge and make the move. There is a link to an article below.

It can apply to leaving one country to go to any other country. This article was written by an expat in regard to Canada but can apply to anywhere really.

It is a short article and deals with the very basics. It cannot hope to cover the unexpected things that can happen after we make the journey.

But it might be worth a read by people thinking about leaving the U.K.

For what it is worth, I'm glad I made the move and I'm happy in my adopted country.

Feel free to discuss.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/ca...il-to-prepare/
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:54 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food for thought perhaps.

He makes valid points. My favourite quote from the article "You get homesick and ring your wife 8 times when you have to stay overnight in a hotel with your work?"
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

very valid and well balanced article. emigrating to a new country is not the answer to solve all problems.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Enjoyed reading that

Apart from mentioning Wanted Down Under

Has anyone actually emigrated after going on that show? I always believed people went on that programme just to get a weeks holiday out of it..
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:01 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Don't agree with everything! Points 1,2 & 4

A lot of people, ourselves included "wing it", just turn up and see what happens. Obviously circumstances will dictate how you should proceed. But if you do not have any kids and a lot of stuff, then it's not necessary to have a job waiting for you. Whilst on that point, I would imagine it's pretty hard to get a job offer from an employer you may never have met face to face.

Came to NZ with $500 to our name, still here!

If you are happy in the UK, it should not preclude you from emigrating, maybe people have always wanted to give it a go or have a unfulfilled wander lust. If you are happy in one place, there is no reason that you can't be happy elsewhere.

Absolutely agree with all the other points, especially 6!
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:15 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Don't agree with everything! Points 1,2 & 4

A lot of people, ourselves included "wing it", just turn up and see what happens. Obviously circumstances will dictate how you should proceed. But if you do not have any kids and a lot of stuff, then it's not necessary to have a job waiting for you. Whilst on that point, I would imagine it's pretty hard to get a job offer from an employer you may never have met face to face.

Came to NZ with $500 to our name, still here!

If you are happy in the UK, it should not preclude you from emigrating, maybe people have always wanted to give it a go or have a unfulfilled wander lust. If you are happy in one place, there is no reason that you can't be happy elsewhere.
Absolutely agree with all the other points, especially 6!
Interesting point. I think if you were happy in the UK then you have more chance of being happy wherever you go. But I do take the author's point.

Truth is, some people won't be happy anywhere.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:38 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Needn't have been Canada, if I hadn't been told could quite easily believe he was talking about NZ...

Agree with him on pretty much all his points. Flexibility is a def must to succeed, Lots of research can lead to an over-definite plan whereas you really want one that you can stick to/flex/bin as required...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

A decent article, made plausible by the fact he's an immigrant.

I got slated on here for saying similar things - I even used the phrase he uses as the title of his arictle!! Partly because my tone was more assertive, although he's hardly sugar coating his view. And, partly because I haven't lived it, presumably.

Truth is, what he says is in fact bleedin' obvious if you take the time to sit down and have a good think about your reasons for moving anywhere, even within the same country.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:17 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I got slated on here for saying similar things - I even used the phrase he uses as the title of his arictle!! Partly because my tone was more assertive, although he's hardly sugar coating his view. And, partly because I haven't lived it, presumably
Ah yes I remember that thread well, kept me entertained