IT Experience & Points

Old Dec 13th 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Parvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IT Experience & Points

Dear Members,

This is my 1st post & I would highly appreciate if someone could help me.

I am an IT Professional (B.tech IT ) with 12 years experience. I am planning to apply for NZ Immigration. As per NZ Immigration site, I am getting 140 points.

But I am not sure related to points for work experience. In last 12 years, for 6 years , I worked as : Software Engineer & from last 6 years as : System Analyst.

How many years should I consider for work experience ( 6 or 12) when I am applying for NZ immigration ? I would be applying as System Analyst.

This confusion is coming because of my ACS , Australia skill assessment. They considered only my 6 years experience for my nominated occupation (System Analyst).

Hope to get clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Parvin
Old Dec 13th 2014, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Experience & Points

Do you have a degree or is the BTech your qualification? NZ is not as tough as Australia in terms of recognising your experience. My IT degree was instantly recognised so I did not have an issue. In terms of experience, if you have 12 years of working in the industry and can prove it, well... then you have 12 years. But yes, 6 years as a systems analyst, 6 years as a software engineer. That shows you have a more rounded background in the IT industry.

The IT market in NZ is quite different to that of the UK, US and Aus. On the whole, you generally have to be much more of a generalist as the market is very small in comparison to other countries. In addition, there aren't many *big* companies, so most companies are small in comparison to the UK.

Good luck.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

davros appears to be correct from my limited experience, the roles here I have witnessed expect far greater all round ability than some of the roles in the UK with a similar sounding name/title. Most are a standard 40 hours per week too. Holiday leave is not as generous but a few more 'bank-holidays' help.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but isn't a B-Tec a bachelor of technology, aka a degree??? If so, i'm amazed that you have to fill out a skills assessment form with Australia. Unless things have changed, you only need to do a skills assessment if you don't meet their requirements. From memory, a degree and 3 years experience is all they ask for, it's only 6 years if your degree doesn't match which looking at your opening post will not be the case
I think you have the option to chose anywhere, both will take you on. If Australia is your more favoured destination, wait till the states provide their state sponsorship scheme for next year. I'm certain you could get Victoria, ACT and Western Australia from memory. If its New Zealand, just provide your certificate and it should easily be recognized.
Oh and another thing to note, sometimes they are lenient with the 'degree' and experience with Immigration NZ. I didn't have an IT degree but my degree contained a lot of Business Computing modules which would have been given the all clear had I applied for a skilled migrant visa. I had to get over here asap so unfortunately didn't have enough time to do so.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Parvin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Davros.

I have 4 years Bachelor Degree ( Bachelor of Technology ----Information Technology).

Regards,

Parvin

Originally Posted by davros1984
Do you have a degree or is the BTech your qualification? NZ is not as tough as Australia in terms of recognising your experience. My IT degree was instantly recognised so I did not have an issue. In terms of experience, if you have 12 years of working in the industry and can prove it, well... then you have 12 years. But yes, 6 years as a systems analyst, 6 years as a software engineer. That shows you have a more rounded background in the IT industry.

The IT market in NZ is quite different to that of the UK, US and Aus. On the whole, you generally have to be much more of a generalist as the market is very small in comparison to other countries. In addition, there aren't many *big* companies, so most companies are small in comparison to the UK.

Good luck.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
I may be wrong but isn't a B-Tec a bachelor of technology, aka a degree??? If so, i'm amazed that you have to fill out a skills assessment form with Australia. Unless things have changed, you only need to do a skills assessment if you don't meet their requirements. From memory, a degree and 3 years experience is all they ask for, it's only 6 years if your degree doesn't match which looking at your opening post will not be the case
Things changed in 2012 and skilled migration applicants need to complete a skills assessment first.