EOI points query....

Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default EOI points query....

Hi folks. I've not been on the forum for some time, probably before Xmas... I know the points scoring has changed, and you now need 140 to get in (Skilled Migrant), and I want to ask:

- my current score is only 120 in the calculator, which suggests that it is not worth applying at this time, but if I have a job offer it is 210

- can I apply for jobs before my EOI has even been processed? I thought it was a pre-requisite?

- do I submit my EOI, knowing it will fail, and then hunt desperately for a job offer? does my EOI stay in the pool while I find a job?

The dilemma is that with various things to sort out in the UK, if I received a job offer now I wouldn't be in a position to move for at least 3 months anyway, and who would keep a job open that long!

What do you suggest?

Apologies if this is just another variation of a question asked many times already.

JaneAS
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: EOI points query....

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hi folks. I've not been on the forum for some time, probably before Xmas... I know the points scoring has changed, and you now need 140 to get in (Skilled Migrant), and I want to ask:

- my current score is only 120 in the calculator, which suggests that it is not worth applying at this time, but if I have a job offer it is 210

- can I apply for jobs before my EOI has even been processed? I thought it was a pre-requisite?

- do I submit my EOI, knowing it will fail, and then hunt desperately for a job offer? does my EOI stay in the pool while I find a job?

The dilemma is that with various things to sort out in the UK, if I received a job offer now I wouldn't be in a position to move for at least 3 months anyway, and who would keep a job open that long!

What do you suggest?

Apologies if this is just another variation of a question asked many times already.

JaneAS
Unfortunately that is the "chicken-and-egg" scenario lots of people face..ie you need a job offer to get enough points to immigrate but need a visa to get a job offer. There is no official "pre-requisite" to have residency before obtaining a job offer, but in practical terms most employers simply do not offer jobs to people without permits. I say most, and certainly not all..

Is your qualification in the shortage list? if it is you can gt you EOI approved even if it is under 140 points. If not you can target employers and hope for a job offer, but this will be difficulat as you would have to convince them to employ you, basically without meeting you.

Another option will be to take a punt and come to NZ as a tourist, look for a job offer and then apply for residence after getting a job offer. U need a lot of balls imo to do this, but ppl have done that successfully in the past.

Also, if youre under 30 you can come to NZ for a year on a WHV, and then while you are working here you can look for somebody to give you a permanent position, and apply for an EOI that way.

i hope it all works out

cheers and good luck
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

If you look at the pool draw announcements on the NZIS website, you will notice that a number of EOI's are drawn from the pool where points are below 140 points. Have a look at the reports. Also, your EOI will remain in the pool for 6 months. The NZIS website describes the process if you look in the news section you will see the December announcement with the description of how it works. Good luck.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

What do you suggest?

JaneAS
It depends what you do for a job, I got a job offer May 2005, and arrived here 2 weeks ago, I am not starting until after easter, so that will be not far off 1 year. I did tell them up front that it may be upto a year and they were fine with that!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:41 am
M..
Just Joined

M.. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
If you look at the pool draw announcements on the NZIS website, you will notice that a number of EOI's are drawn from the pool where points are below 140 points. Have a look at the reports.
They are selecting people from the pool with less than 140 points and no job but only if they have qualifications and/or experience on the absolute skills shortage list.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of
Cool Re: EOI points query....

Hi There,

Yes you can apply for jobs before submitting your EOI, I don't know where you got the figure of 90 for a job offer though. Just to let you know we were
selected in the March 1st pool with 125 points and NO JOB Offer (but Hubby in skilled shortage skill so extra 15 points. Apply with whatever points you have over 100 you remain in the pool for 6 months, just apply for jobs now as you can always contact them to update your details.

Hope this helps Good Luck!
Claire.

What do you suggest?

JaneAS
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

wardiz is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you suggest?

JaneAS

Hi JaneAs

We were in a similar prediciment as you. My husband decided to look at he accredited employer list on the NZ immigration service website, and he sent emails to all relevant employers. Luckily he was offered a position with one of them after recieving a telephone call from them. We are initially going out on a temporary work permit as his initial contract is for 3 months. All going well we will apply for PR after that period. Although he recieved the job offer before Christmas we still have not gone due to sale of our house, but his new employer is happy to wait.

Lisa
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thanks folks, great advice as always. I hadn't realised that EOI's stayed in the pool for 6 months... that should buy us enough time to (hopefully!) get a job offer.

Cheers!
Jane