Dependent Child.

Old May 12th 2010, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Lauraemily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help. Immigration to New Zealand?

How strict is the New Zealand immigration?

My Boyfriend is planning to move over there with his Mum, step dad and sister.

My boyfriend is 22 years old and has his own job but lives with his parents and sister but he is planning to move over New Zealand being a dependent child on his parents?

(They are moving there because his Step dad has got a job over there. Thats how he and his family are getting over there.)

If he does move over there, i am planning to go over for 6 months in december with our baby that is due in August. He is going over in September if everything goes to plan. What do you guys think will happen? How would i be able to live there if he goes over? However there visas haven't came back yet and he doesn't know for sure if he will be able to go over.

What do you guys think will happen and how strict it is to move over to New Zealand? Also if you have visted or live there, what kind of life is it over?
Old May 12th 2010, 6:59 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I need help. Immigration to New Zealand?

hi

im not an expert on this so id take this with a pinch of salt from me. However 22 and a dependant on his mum and dad even though he has a job?

not sure that will even get him here let alone you on the back of that as well.

what qualifications does he have,job does he do how long have you been together are all thinhs likley to be asked...

I would say your best bet is to contact new zealand immigration asap and ask them direct as i reckon you could be in for a shock.

sorry but moving here is not easy so before it all kicks off I would say ask ask ask.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
hi

im not an expert on this so id take this with a pinch of salt from me. However 22 and a dependant on his mum and dad even though he has a job?

not sure that will even get him here let alone you on the back of that as well.

what qualifications does he have,job does he do how long have you been together are all thinhs likley to be asked...

I would say your best bet is to contact new zealand immigration asap and ask them direct as i reckon you could be in for a shock.

sorry but moving here is not easy so before it all kicks off I would say ask ask ask.
Hi, I would agree that it is not easy to immigrate to NZ. At 22 your boyfriend is still young enough to be classed as a dependant child but read the following from the NZIS website:
Dependent children
I think you need to get some advice from NZIS about this. What visa is he planning on getting, are they going over on work visas or with residence? Are you getting any help from an agent with the visas? It would be better to ask them if you are.
You need to find out whether it is possible for you and him to get a visa to be together first. It may not be that easy. Sorry
Old May 12th 2010, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lauraemily
It has rules Laura. A lot of rules .
Have a look around the NZIS website. Click the link

My boyfriend is 22 years old and has his own job but lives with his parents and sister but he is planning to move over New Zealand being a dependent child on his parents?
They will have to prove and provide evidence that he is dependant on them , which he is not . He is 22 and working. He isn't a full time student for instance.

From the NZIS website:-
F5.1 How do dependent children qualify for residence?
:void(10455)" target="_blank">Principal applicants meet dependent child policy if:they are:
(They are moving there because his Step dad has got a job over there. Thats how he and his family are getting over there.)
OK. Then step-dad is what is called a Principle applicant. His Mum can apply on the back of his Stepdads application and if his sister is dependant ( not working) then she can come in on a student visa or similar.

If he does move over there, i am planning to go over for 6 months in december with our baby that is due in August.
Well yes. You can enter New Zealand on a 6 month visitors visa. You will need a return air ticket and at the end of that time, you will need to leave
How are you going to support yourself during that 6 months?

He is going over in September if everything goes to plan.
Perhaps you and your family ( parents) need to talk with him & his family about this more given that you are having his baby.
At the least you need to think about how he will support you and his baby.

What are his plans for giving you financial support if he does go to New Zealand but can't get a job ?

How would i be able to live there if he goes over?
You wouldn't, unless you apply for your own work or permanent resident visa under your own steam. For that you need to have a skill that New Zealand wants.
Given you will have a newborn baby, I doubt that New Zealand immigration would accept that you would be able to fend for yourself financially.

There is a partnership policy but you wouldn't meet that because you don't live together with this lad.

However there visas haven't came back yet and he doesn't know for sure if he will be able to go over.
Can't see how his visa would be approved as he isn't a dependant child.....unless they have not been truthful on the application.

I agree with the others on here. Phone up New Zealand immigration and have a chat with them.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

If he does move over there, i am planning to go over for 6 months in december with our baby that is due in August. He is going over in September if everything goes to plan. What do you guys think will happen? How would i be able to live there if he goes over? However there visas haven't came back yet and he doesn't know for sure if he will be able to go over.

What do you guys think will happen and how strict it is to move over to New Zealand? Also if you have visted or live there, what kind of life is it over?
He might try and apply on the back of his parents' visa, as a dependent, but I think NZIS may decline that because he is over 21 (18?), he has a job, and he is about to become a father.

He could try for a working holiday visa, although this may not work if NZIS know about him becoming a father.

Either way, it still does not allow you to join him to live in NZ.

For that to happen, either him or you will need to qualify for a work permit in your own right, which it sounds like is a bit difficult.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:49 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you?, do you both have degree's, what country do you live in now, what work experience do you have?, you may both be able to go on a working holiday visa. I did that at age 24, then you would have to find a job / jobs, and then go to EOI and PR from there if you wanted to stay..

I did this in 2004, but it would all hinge on what work experience and education etc you have, you are unlikely to land the right type of job or have enough points for that route. His family being may give him points as well.

tht
Old May 18th 2010, 9:13 pm
`

Hi tht.

The young lady is pregnant. The new babe is due in August.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:11 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi tht.

The young lady is pregnant. The new babe is due in August.
Was not aware of the " not bring children with you " requirement, but should still work for him?
Old May 19th 2010, 11:29 pm
`

Originally Posted by tht
Was not aware of the " not bring children with you " requirement, but should still work for him?
Yes. A WHV could work for him. In order to remain though, he would still need to find a full time job and it would need to be one that no NZ resident or citizen could do.

How would a lass with a brand new baby manage to financially cope on a WHV ?

Do you not think that NZIS might ask questions about this visa at point of entry when she turned up with a babe in arms, especially as she would be intending to stay with a new migrant family?
Old May 19th 2010, 11:43 pm
tht

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.310 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/142)

Originally Posted by BEVS
Originally Posted by tht
Yes. A WHV could work for him. In order to remain though, he would still need to find a full time job and it would need to be one that no NZ resident or citizen could do.

How would a lass with a brand new baby manage to financially cope on a WHV ?

Do you not think that NZIS might ask questions about this visa at point of entry when she turned up with a babe in arms, especially as she would be intending to stay with a new migrant family?
I know what he woulkd need to do, I went through from WHV, to work Visa, to PR in 2005, hence I asked about his work experience and education. While I have only done this for myself, doing this inside 3 months with no legal advise means I have quite a good understanding of the process. That said the key to mine was my ability to do a job for which they could not find a kiwi to fill it. tht
Old May 20th 2010, 7:12 am
`

I know what he woulkd need to do,
The information was not for you. It was for the OP looking in.
The Immediate and Long term shortage lists are not what they were in 2005.

Originally Posted by tht
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.310 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/142)

That said the key to mine was my ability to do a job for which they could not find a kiwi to fill it. tht
Quite
Old May 20th 2010, 7:24 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
That said the key to mine was my ability to do a job for which they could not find a kiwi to fill it. tht
...and possibly not having a babe in tow?
Old May 20th 2010, 8:01 am
tht

Originally Posted by simonsi
...and possibly not having a babe in tow?
If he went first he would not have a babe in tow, the OP would when she went to visit.

I went and found it very quite in NZ, I have since moved on, if his parents are moving it may be worth him going on a WHV just to see if he likes it, the OP could join for a holiday (given that she it would be easy to say she wont be working if asked).

Assuming they both like it then they could look at ways of getting visa's to stay longer term. And from the little information we have been given it is very hard to tell what they may or may not qualify for.

To answer the OP's questions:

"How strict is the New Zealand immigration?" - Well they have rules set out and stick to them, in terms of dealing with them, it is a lot simpler than say the US.

"Also if you have visted or live there, what kind of life is it over?" - I lived there for just over 3 years, the people are great, the lifestyle can be great if you have the money to enjoy it, traffic in Auckland sucks, the biggest issue is the cost of getting anywhere, visits to see your family will not be cheap. It was to quite for me (I am New York based now), but I still have friends there now who are starting families and I could not think of a better place to do that..

tht
Old May 20th 2010, 10:36 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
If he went first he would not have a babe in tow, the OP would when she went to visit.
For him to stay beyond a WHV he would need to declare family members whether or not those members are part of the application, I think the question of his babe would come up earlier than you suspect OR cause a big problem if not declared. This then creates a problem for the OP. NZIS ask for that declaration precisely to know about family that may subsequently apply for residency etc...

The OP still has the problem of how to support herself and babe beyond the realms of a natural visit BUT she may well appear as a prime candidate to overstay/remain without permission.

This proposal also completely defeats the "stable relationship" that NZIS would apply...
Old May 20th 2010, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post Bev! lots of info from you all. All I can say poor sole new baby on the way and having to go into all thisI DO hope it all works out for you.
Kind Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.