Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Confused nurse needing some help regarding emigration

Confused nurse needing some help regarding emigration

Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused nurse needing some help regarding emigration

Hi there
Looking for some good advice!
I'm a nurse with a degree. Wanting to move to new Zealand to work. In Australia I understand you must complete ANMAC skills assessment as well as register with APHRA. But for New Zealand is there any ANMAC type skills assessment or do you only need to register with the NZ Nursing Council? Do you normally wait to register with NZ Council before applying for a visa?
Sorry but I am also wondering if I was to get a sponsored working visa i.e tied to employer for 4 years usually, could I apply for a PR Visa whilst in NZ? And get away then with not honouring my employer for example the specified number of years?
Hope you can help
Many thanks!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Confused nurse needing some help regarding emigration

Hi there.

I'll leave it to the nurses to say what further assessments may be needed or not.
I rather thought it was registration to the NZ nursing Council and passing an IELTS language test.

With regard to NZ visas. It does not work the same as Australia.

If you gained a job offer with a District Health Board then you would apply for a temporary work visa for a year or so. You would then choose which route to residency was best for you. Either a work to residency where you would earn $55K pa for two years and then apply, or if you had enough points you would apply under the skilled migrant category.

Any temp work visa ties you to the employer. If you change employer, then you need to apply for a new work visa or a variation of conditions.

1 - Registration with the nrising council
2 - Find a job offer
3 - Apply for a work visa
4 - Apply for residency.