Confused.com

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default Confused.com

Greetings

Being Ex military and now a Police officer my particular skills are not or ever going to be on any shortage list

So my option as far as i see it if i wanted to gaine PR would be via WTR

how would this work and what are the logistics

I have dropped a cheeky email to Dept of corrections and they do recruit from overseas, So im looking at corrections officer or Trainee Probation officer

I have had 17 years worth of being a Police officer fancy something new

What would be the best route. Do i need to submit an EOI etc etc blahdy blah if i got a job offer

its all very confusing

Can someone do a step by step for me and treat me like the idiot i am
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.com

Hi there Wilester!

You can gain PR one of two ways [I'm assuming the OH isn't a Kiwi].
Either via the WTR visa or via the skilled migrant category.

I think your first step is to work out how many points you have if you were to apply under the skilled migrant category. You can do this by using the points indicator: Points indicator or register online on the NZIS website and fill in an EOI. It is free and you can save it, it will also add up your points as you fill it in.
If you have enough points you do not need a job offer to apply under this category whereas you do if you apply for WTR.
You need over 100points to be able to submit an EOI but have a look at recent selection criteria to assess how likely it is that you will be picked out of the pool if you do not have a job offer: http:// HistoryOfSelectionPoints.htm

The WTR visa has various categories and if your job offer is not on the LTSSL then you will probably have to apply under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy. This will give you a temporary work visa which you can convert to PR after 2 years. Certain conditions apply; the job must be fulltime with a salary of >$55K pa and for over 2 years.

So work out your points and also how many you would have with a job offer to determine whether you can apply under the SMC. Also have a look at accredited employers- the Dept of Corrections is one!. With enough points and a job offer from an employer on the accredited list you could apply for either WTR or PR. I would say that getting PR right from the start is preferable if you can. If your employers wanted you here quickly then you can always look at applying for both at the same time or applying for a temporary work visa until your PR comes through.
Hope I haven't confused matters more
P

[By the way, the WTR visa that you can be given instead of PR when you apply under the SMC is completely different to the one mentioned above- just to add a little more confusion into the mix!]
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Thanks Persephone Queen of the Underworld

looking at the points calculator i can get my points upto 150 as my skills qualifications are classed as exempt prison officer police officer blah blah

Still early Days for us but its nice to know if i could get a job offer from dept of corrections it would start to move pretty swiftly

Wilester
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Sorry its Mr Stupid again

So if i applied and was eventually granted PR would this cover my wife and 8 year old daughter.

Would my wife also be able to look for work or would she have to do something additional visa wise.

I also have an older daughter who is 18 she is doing her own thing in another part of the uk at the moment would she have to apply on her own is she wanted to join us later..

Soooo many questions
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:58 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Not stupid, we were all there once

Your original application/EOI covers your partner and dependent children. You would be classed as the principal candidate with your wife being the non principal candidate but in the main you are the only one who can claim points. So if your wife has a qualification she will not claim the full 50pts but can claim 20. What I'm trying to say is that you can't add two people's points totals together, there can only be one main applicant but you apply as a family.
When you do the EOI you'll see that there are separate sections for your partner and family.

You will have to prove your relationship status and how long you've been living together; in order for her to claim PR on the back of your application then you must have lived together for at least 12m and prove it[which I'm assuming you have given that you have an 8yo daughter...] All of the family will have to do the medicals/chest xrays, police checks for those over 17 and the English language requirements also apply to everyone over 16 on the application.
If you are granted PR then your wife and daughter will also be granted PR on the back of your application and yes she can work! You will have to mention your 18 year old daughter on the EOI anyway even if she is not included in your application

Definition of dependent children:
Dependent children
Dependent children of a principal applicant are children aged up to 24 years who are unmarried and who have not had their own children (unless your child is under 16 years). They need not live with you but must at least rely mainly on an adult for financial support.
As a resident you can sponsor an adult child at a later date but it does look like it can be a lengthy process and conditions do apply.

Last edited by Persephone; Jun 29th 2010 at 12:01 pm.