Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Oh but yes I do know what I am talking about colin, I have lived and worked all over the world. If you are staying in NZ stop moaning about everything and comparing eveything.In life you dont get things given to you on a plate.
Even tho you were a bit offensive I still hope it works out for you..Ian
Old Aug 9th 2007, 7:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'll agree that the *** off is offensive. I was going to edit this, but maybe C.I.T.M. might like to address it personally - please ! I've come to accept that the 'what d'ya know ' phrase is simply a turn of phrase and no more.

Equally Futurama, telling someone to stop 'moaning about everything' & the ' given on a plate ' phrase oft used is also un-necessary. We are all entitled to have a vent and a moan and TBH CITM was not comparing but is having a sticky time of it. Hence the nature of his posts.

I understand that he came out on the WHV but he is simply trying to settle and earn a living. Fair play to him. He and his family want to be here. I equally understand that he shouldn't now knock the very policy that got him here. Yes, the policy maybe has changed, but then them's the cards that are dealt.

Cut a little slack on both sides guys please.

Debate the vagaries of the WHV policy but please don't take pot shots at each other.

Ta
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

Cool. Sorry , dont mean to offend anyone..Ian
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:46 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Just a correction here I came out in 1996 on a WHV for 1 year we got a residency visa in 2003.
When I got my WHV was granted because only 500 were available in 1996 and my Brother had been over here since 1986 on a PR. If he had not been in NZ I most likely would not be having this conversation.

I do find it offensive when people say dont complain when everyone has the right to complain. My choice of words was simply because I am sick and tired of that line of if you dont like it go back to England or move somewhere else. If it was not for people moving somewhere else then there would be no New Zealand.

Like you said 33% of people return home giving it a try well like I said this is home for me and my family. Those 33% probably found that the attitude drove them away of dont complain and where able to return. Wonder how many of that 33% really want to remember why they did not like it?

Maybe my experiance will make people take a second look and realise that its not smooth sailing. Back to the point your working Visa maybe be at the cost of someone elses Job and lifestyle.

This is my home New Zealand not England so choose the word Home carefully.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

The WHV scheme is a reciprocal agreement between countries though. It’s a way of life for many kiwis in their early 20s. It is almost expected that you New Zealanders will take the time to travel abroad. I’d be willing to bet that more kiwis are working in the UK than the other way around.

NZ does very well out of WHV schemes, if they were to reduce the intake of British nationals it would only be fair for the UK to do the same. In the end it would be the NZ economy that suffers.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:41 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by spoonguy
NZ does very well out of WHV schemes, if they were to reduce the intake of British nationals it would only be fair for the UK to do the same. In the end it would be the NZ economy that suffers.
And maybe people who have been displaced in the work place which includes migrants with PR will be able to take on some of the work that they are being squezed out of?

Dont think WHV should be stopped I do think they should be restricted in the same way a employer must prove that no New Zealand applicants have applied for a position before employing someone from overseas. The working Holiday Visa does just gives the employer a open cheque book to employ non residents.

You probably say its cheaper to employ a none resident? Wrong because a New Zealand resident is entitled to Goverment assistance. Same employment rights/contracts.

My wife is fuming at the moment as one of the Local Employers has taken on a overseas Chef on a HWV who is being paid $4 per hour more than she is. The contract is only 6 months, the big question is why 3 Chefs who live within the area were not offered that job?

Irony of this is that a 6 month contract would not secure PR or it didnt when we were looking back in 2003.

Coincidentally I now see the goverment saying how low unemployment is thats the National picture wonder what its like if you go by region?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:06 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
My wife is fuming at the moment as one of the Local Employers has taken on a overseas Chef on a HWV who is being paid $4 per hour more than she is. The contract is only 6 months, the big question is why 3 Chefs who live within the area were not offered that job?
Maybe because the employer made a business decision and decided to give the job to the person best suited for the role, in their opinion.

If an employer hires someone for a job role one WHV over a "local", I am sure they are doing it for valid reasons. It not out of spite or anything!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:56 pm
Banned

Think you missed my point!

Your right employers are doing it for a valid reason and thats because its easier for them to do that now than it was 5 years ago.

Not exactly great comfort to the people who have established roots in the area knowing that what few jobs are around get given to someone who is just on a WHV - Working "Holiday" Visa.

Aint it strange that in the UK we found jobs a plenty and neither of us was unemployed for more than a few weeks top. Come to New Zealand and once they got the pound of flesh out of you and your settled down they discard you like a used toilet paper? Guess thats why so many New Zealanders are a, leaving the country and b,why New Zealand has one of the highest ratios of depression in the developed world.

Just wondering how you would fill if your employer exploited a loop hole in your contract and took on a WHV over you?

Pretty pissed I bet.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:01 pm

Just wondering how you would fill if your employer exploited a loop hole in your contract and took on a WHV over you?

Pretty pissed I bet.
I am sure I would get over it. And get myself another job.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:21 pm
Banned

Shakes head in disbelief of the lack of knowledge understanding of the situation in the area.

Great answer one that I shall pass on to the others in the area who have found themselves in the situation. Nothing like being told whats out there when you know its not and where its gone.

Choice bro spoken like a true Kiwi
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:40 pm

Choice bro spoken like a true Kiwi
Better that than a whinging Pom!

But your are right Colin, I do not know what the situation is there.

You did ask how I would react. Having had the experience of working my way around the world and being told on several occasions I had "no chance" of getting work. I have yet to be in situation where I have failed to pay my way.

I hope you and your misses get sorted.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:20 pm
`

I just had a thought and now need to lie down.

I just read abut the penguins on your front lawn C.I.T.Middle & from your posts you seem to be in a lovely area. I realise that your house is not quite "sorted" but what with your wife being a chef n'all, could you offer homestays?

The house we bought operated as a home stay type B&B before we bought it. Nothing posh or special at all. Just a bedroom , access to the shower and offered breakfast in the lounge or out on the deck. not cooked breakfast either. Just homemade yoghurt and bread with grapefruit picked from the garden etc. The decor is 30 years old, and they had people returning again and again.

As the house improved , you could offer more boutique homestay experiences , offering culinary delights.

Could you and some others of your community offer families farm type experiences to underpin the homestay. You know, horses, meeting chickens etc. People like that sort of thing. Does the area have tramping and fishing. You could be a base.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:51 am
`

Originally Posted by BEVS here

I just read about the penguins on your front lawn C.I.T.Middle
Ok . Forget the penguins. Unless you put in gnome penguins
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:01 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Going off at a tangent as usual, I saw a fabtastic picture in a 'homes' magazine recently - buried Elvis heads a la terracotta army stylie It had me in kinks. I am wondering what I could adapt it to when we get round to doing some work in the gully, like half buried garden gnomes in rows and files..........
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:14 am
Banned

Good idea we though about it but my parents own the ideal house for that kind of thing
We have a nice double garage that fits 4 cars that I partitioned off and a old camper van than blew the headgasket on last year parked beside it

naa wont work!

What we need is some information and help to resolve the matters at hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.