Children British Citizen by descent

Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children British Citizen by descent

Originally Posted by littlelollipop
We applied before the law changed in 2006 and the ruling at the time was that children born out of wedlock were not automatically entitled to British citizenship through their father, and therefore only our youngest was issued with a British passport. This was made quite clear to us. It was after quite a bit of correspondance and discussion based on 'all 3 children were equal and born into the same relationship, same father' that the eldest 2 were issued passports.
Sigh.

You're wrong. It was because parents got married OR if father was deemed NZ domiciled. If that hadn't been the case, then the only way to get British citizenship for the others would have been Home Office registration, which is possible before age 18.

If you still don't believe me then perhaps take some time to look at the Home Office document "Legitimacy" which you can download from:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../nisec2gensec/

It explains how section 47 of the British Nationality Act 1981 (and predecessor legislation) applies to those born before 1 July 2006.

By the way, if you hadn't been married and a caseworker "sympathetically" issued passports to them on the basis of such an "equality" claim, the children still wouldn't be British - they'd be non-citizens carrying invalid passports.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

yuggi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Children British Citizen by descent

I am actually married to an Australian Citizen and one of my children already has an Australian Passport. So am I able to apply for British passports for my children as I am a British Citizen (Otherwise than Descent). I found the Form C2 on the Homeoffice Site