Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:53 pm
dkc
Just Joined

dkc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Hi,

I'm about to apply for a Work Holiday Visa. I actually had submitted my EOI online but it has not been selected for 1.5 months. If I get a WHV and I relocate to NZ, is it possible that I can claim points with the job offer when I pass all the interview processes there?

There is a restriction that prohibits the holder of this visa to take up full-time employment more than 3 months (for my nationality). However, putting me on recruitment agent's payroll will rescind that? (e.g. I work at the same place for 12 months but I get the money from different recruitment agents who receive money from the direct employer).

I don't want to waste the $400NZD which I paid for the EOI so I plan to get an offer before the end of Oct 2010. However, I heard that I must convert my WHV to work permit before the PR. Is this true? I also heard that I must work on WHV for X months before I can submit my EOI? Could someone please help confirming this?

Thx a million!

Last edited by dkc; Jun 27th 2010 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:38 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Originally Posted by dkc
There is a restriction that prohibits the holder of this visa to take up full-time employment more than 3 months (for my nationality). However, putting me on recruitment agent's payroll will rescind that? (e.g. I work at the same place for 12 months but I get the money from different recruitment agents who receive money from the direct employer).
NZIS aren't stupid and that is the No 1 most obvious way around that restriction.

I suspect once agencies realise they are in a conspiracy to deceive NZIS over that they will drop you too as they would almost certainly be commiting an offence and won't want to put their business at risk for you.

How many points did you claim on your EOI?

Last edited by simonsi; Jun 29th 2010 at 7:42 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:15 pm
dkc
Just Joined

Arrow Re: Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

I claimed 110pts without a job offer. However, I anticipate that I would be able to claim 130-140 once I get a job offer.

In this case, I would be able to work for 3 months on the Work Holiday Visa and if my PR is not approved on the third month, I would need to skip working until the PR is granted? Thanks for your comments any way. I will ask this issue with the NZIS directly once again.

I actually contacted an agent which said they can give me a job offer for PR but I need to pay for them. I'm still hesitate and I'm keeping this agent as the last resort.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Originally Posted by dkc
I claimed 110pts without a job offer. However, I anticipate that I would be able to claim 130-140 once I get a job offer.
That explains why you havenĀ“t been selected so far, you can look at the history of points required but I think you will need a job offer to be selected.

Originally Posted by dkc
I actually contacted an agent which said they can give me a job offer for PR but I need to pay for them. I'm still hesitate and I'm keeping this agent as the last resort.
That sounds extremely suspect, if that agent is acting unlawfully and it comes to light then I suspect any PR status you obtained would also potentially be revoked as it may be held to have been obtained unlawfully.

To be clear, immigration agents will charge fees for what they do but they should not be able to take payment in exchange for a job offer. All immigration agents should be licensed by NZIS, do you know if this one is?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:51 pm
dkc
Just Joined

Arrow Re: Can I convert WHV to PR when I relocate to NZ?

Yes, I think this one has license and it's one of the well established agents.
The agent said they can give me a job offer but they did not provide specific details on whether the job is paid or unpaid. It seems like they will only provide further information once I pay them the fees which is about 200 UK pound.
They said that using their service can solve the problem of catch 2-2 ("you need a PR to get the job" and "you need the job to get the PR").

That's why I will not come to them unless I've tried all other alternative solutions.