Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Applying soon... A few questions looking for answers first

Applying soon... A few questions looking for answers first

Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Anne-Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying soon... A few questions looking for answers first

Hello,
We have been looking at emigrating to New Zealand for a while and are now ready to start the process.
We probably have looked at all pages on NZIS site regarding skilled migrant, have been talking to an immigration agent, calculated the points we might have...
However, we are still left with questions and we hope we might find some elements of answer from you who have gone through the process before us.

At the moment, we could claim points for age, qualifications, and work experience, that would add up to 105, which is not enough to be selected.
As a married couple, do I add any points with my qualifications, work experience?

What we need is a job offer to get enough points.
How hard is it to get a job when you are based in Europe? Are employers OK to offer a job and wait until we have EOI, ITA processed? Do we need to be over there to apply for jobs or are skype interviews still acceptable?
To the 1st job application we sent, we received an email back saying “please don’t apply with us anymore as you are not a resident”...

Also, how long does it take between EOI and getting the residency? I know it depends on each case, but on average are we looking at 4 to 6 months or over 1 year, all going well?
Do we really need an immigration agent or can we manage without one?

The one thing that could be a problem is that I had my thyroid removed for cancer in October 2008 and am now on substitution pills for life. All clear now but I guess it could be slowing the process. Let me know if you have had a similar issue.

If you could share your experience with us, that would be great. We are very motivated but we’d like to make sure this is possible.

Thanks,
Anne
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: Applying soon... A few questions looking for answers first

Originally Posted by Anne-Richard
Hello,
We have been looking at emigrating to New Zealand for a while and are now ready to start the process.
We probably have looked at all pages on NZIS site regarding skilled migrant, have been talking to an immigration agent, calculated the points we might have...
However, we are still left with questions and we hope we might find some elements of answer from you who have gone through the process before us.

At the moment, we could claim points for age, qualifications, and work experience, that would add up to 105, which is not enough to be selected.
As a married couple, do I add any points with my qualifications, work experience?

What we need is a job offer to get enough points.
How hard is it to get a job when you are based in Europe? Are employers OK to offer a job and wait until we have EOI, ITA processed? Do we need to be over there to apply for jobs or are skype interviews still acceptable?
To the 1st job application we sent, we received an email back saying “please don’t apply with us anymore as you are not a resident”...

Also, how long does it take between EOI and getting the residency? I know it depends on each case, but on average are we looking at 4 to 6 months or over 1 year, all going well?
Do we really need an immigration agent or can we manage without one?

The one thing that could be a problem is that I had my thyroid removed for cancer in October 2008 and am now on substitution pills for life. All clear now but I guess it could be slowing the process. Let me know if you have had a similar issue.

If you could share your experience with us, that would be great. We are very motivated but we’d like to make sure this is possible.

Thanks,
Anne
Hi Anne, we have just got our residence visa so I thought you might want to have a look at out timeline below our signature. As you can see I was referred to the medical assessor and that took almost a month as I had to get extra reports.

We did see and immigration expert at the very beginning, but just to get some information really. After that we decided to do it ourselves and it was okay. There are plenty of great people on here that will help you as they did us. Good Luck
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:08 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Hi Anne,

Welcome to the start of the process - we are hopefully getting to the end now and it has taken around 9 months to date. I'm now much fitter from jumping through all the hoops!

Before you start off and get too stuck into the process (every stage of it costs cash!), you may - if you haven't already - like to familiarise yourself with Appendix 10 of the Immi NZ Ops Manual which highlights medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs. Of particular interest will be:

"Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment
Exceptions are:

- treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
- malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years"

As I was diagnosed with cancer a couple of months into the application I've become more than familiar with it! The good news for me was my cure rate was > 90% from the point I'd had my operation and chemo, but I only found this out by talking to my consultant who was massively helpful and provided shed loads of evidence to back the application up. I don't know about the recurrance/survival rates for thyroid cancer, but a chat with your medical bods may be a good starting point? If they are on your side and reckon it's a goer, you'll be working from a great starting point!

I also got in contact with the NZ ministry of health regarding the follow up monitoring that I require - they have a schedule of costs for treatments which they applied to my case and gave an unofficial estimate that showed I wouldn't be a complete economic liability.

Sorry, but can't help with jobs - we're waiting until the stamps are in our passports and then going for a jolly down under to pimp our skills to anyone who will listen!!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

matt was the primary applicant, but we got extra points for me (as his partner) being an experienced nurse. we have had to prove our r'ship is bonefide!

He also has since managed to bag a great job, via telephone and skype interviews, so it is possible. but may depend on what type of job you're after.

timewise, its very different for everyone. if you have a job already, they will speed things up! and we managed to do the process ourselves. the forms are quite explanatory, and any queries can be answered from the wisely sages on this site
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Reylan, Teeym and MattandJax for your helpful answers.

I understand we will need to be very patient and organised to obtain the residency...
We are sort of hoping to be there before the european winter. And I'm hoping the medical issue won't delay us too much.
We are currently living ion Ireland. Does anybody know if there is a medical assessment from Ireland, or will we need to go to the UK?
Thanks,
Anne
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Hi Anne

Here's a link to the NZIS Drs Panel

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs.htm?level=1

Hopefully there will be some in Ireland for you
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anne,
I echo teeym: if your prognosis is good (over 90 cure rate, as the case usually is with thyroid cancer), you may be accepted, but: The NZIS will almost certainly refer you to a medical assessor, and it is likely to add at least a month to the application process. I know two persons who've had thyroid cancer and have been able to get PR. It has required a lot of paperwork and letters from different doctors, so my advice for you would be to start collecting medical evidence that supports your application as soon as possible so that you have everything ready when you apply.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anne,

In our situation (hubby is in IT) we found that no-one would commit to an interview until we were here on the ground. Hubby had plenty of interest but employers would just not commit until he could attend for interviews

Therefore we had to do a 2 week visit to NZ to enable hubby to get a job offer. Money which we would rather have not spent. However, after 2 interviews he had 2 job offers so we felt it was money well spent. It was then a race against time to get out here to meet the start date. What we were finding was that in IT, employers were much more comfortable with seeing potential employees face to face. Hubby did do a telephone interview whilst in the UK which was very encouraging but the face to face interview nailed it for him.

Good luck with your plans
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

@ Mgee, cannot open your PM as need 3 posts to do so.
Should be ok now as this is my 3rd post!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Anne-Richard
Hello, fellow thyroid cancer person!

Give me a buzz if you're still no the application bandwagon - I was diagnosed with thyca in Nov 2007, all-clear Dec 2008.. been having lots of fun with the MA but am still hopeful
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:12 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any help my partner takes thyroxine permanently. We were told that it is "cheap as chups" and wouldn't be an issue cost-wise. We didn't have to do the risk analysis for cancer though.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

lida16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reylan
Hi Anne, we have just got our residence visa so I thought you might want to have a look at out timeline below our signature.
Hi,

we submitted our EOI on May 30, 2009 and we are still waiting . Medicals passed and we are going trough verification since March 2010 and so far we have no news. CO said that there are no issues so ...13 moths after EOI submition...it's still waiting game.

Good luck to all!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora and welcome to this cosy little NZ forum.

If you have what NZIS call a 'basic recognised qualification' then as the partner of the main applicant you can claim 20 points. ( from the POINTS INDICATOR)

With those precious job offers it does seem to depend on the occupation. Most all occupations prefer boots on NZ soil , however some occupations, nursing and IT for instance, do seem to be able to find job offers from outside of NZ .
As with all jobs I suppose , it;s about attending interviews & being able to meet a start date.

Also an NZ employer is not necessarily free to offer a vacancy to an overseas non-resident/non-citizen person. That might be why you got the response you did from an NZ employer.
Out of interest what are your occupations. Are they on the shortage list?

As others have stated your application will most likely be referred to a medical assessor. This can slow an application down. Several people on here have been through the MA process and come out the other side to gain PR.
I see Teeym has posted . He really is an A-1 person to talk to about this.

Tyroxine or equivalent.
My husband needs to take this. FYI the cost is $10 for a repeat prescription. $3 for the tablets themselves . Blood tests $10 . GP visit if the tests a bit wonky - $38
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

chrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nukiwi
Hi Anne,

In our situation (hubby is in IT) we found that no-one would commit to an interview until we were here on the ground. Hubby had plenty of interest but employers would just not commit until he could attend for interviews

Therefore we had to do a 2 week visit to NZ to enable hubby to get a job offer. Money which we would rather have not spent. However, after 2 interviews he had 2 job offers so we felt it was money well spent. It was then a race against time to get out here to meet the start date. What we were finding was that in IT, employers were much more comfortable with seeing potential employees face to face. Hubby did do a telephone interview whilst in the UK which was very encouraging but the face to face interview nailed it for him.

Good luck with your plans
Hi, I am also in IT and have also found that employers are not really interested unless you are in NZ and can attend interviews.
We have managed to get residency in skilled migrant category without job offer, and I am going out in a few weeks for some interviews.
Hope I do as well as your other half!
Did your husband apply for the roles in uk and had the interviews lined up before going out?
Just starting to apply for jobs now. On a positive note for everyone the market does seem to be picking up in NZ..