Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:18 pm
MzB
Just Joined

MzB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!!!!! I need to get a car first before even contemplating a job. Also need to get a house and awaiting on one now. Hate the waiting game and bidding war!!!

Good luck and hope it works out for u
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sign Maker Giles
OH spent 6 months teaching on our working holiday visa, she got offered a permenant job off that back of it which at the time would have lead to residency but didn't take it up as we wanted to come back to the UK so all our friends and family could come to our wedding. By the time we were married primary teacher had dropped off the wanted list, hence me going back to college and doing my carpentry qualifications - which has now also dropped off the wanted list
Wish we'd just got married on the beach in Fiji or Tonga or something then back to NZ..
I know. I really do feel for you guys over this. Bluddy nightmare.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:10 am
MzB
Just Joined

Ok have secured a house in Ellerslie and did a random walkin to a fantastic primary school in Mt Eden. CV provided and have some volutary work sorted and on their supply register. Met another teacher at a house viewing who has given some fab contacts.

So, right place, right time and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited about going to check this school out. Just chatting, they mentioned potential jobs next ac. year and leadership. I can go to team meetings too!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:02 am
Just Joined

alexn is an unknown quantity at this point

At a 140 points, you may even get your PR. You can check with immigration. Given them a call. If you have a 140 points, why don't you lodge your EOI? I would suggest getting a job offer to simply confirm your PR. There are definitely many jobs for teachers anywhere in the world.

But one more thing. You can always consult a migration agent to confirm your points. Don't assume it.

Originally Posted by Quirky Camper
Hello!
I am new to this but, here goes! I am a 30-year-old, planning to head to NZ with my daughter (10) to stay with friends, and hopefully work as a teacher out there. I plan to travel on a Skilled Migrant Visa.
I may have done things the wrong way round but, flights are booked for 7th Nov 2012. I have only just sent off my IQA form and the EOI is ready to go, as soon as I know how many points my qualifications are worth. I have no job offer (haven't applied). I anticipate having approx 140 points.

So, am I being totally unrealisitc to expect to have an invitation to apply for a skilled migrant visa, and that I will be granted a visa, before 7th Nov. 2012? Should I be looking to change my flights?!

If there is anyone who thinks I may be in for a chance (of being offered a visa in time) what can I do in the meantime to prepare - other than medical and police check?

Any thoughts, advise would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexn
At a 140 points, you may even get your PR. You can check with immigration. Given them a call. If you have a 140 points, why don't you lodge your EOI? I would suggest getting a job offer to simply confirm your PR. There are definitely many jobs for teachers anywhere in the world.

But one more thing. You can always consult a migration agent to confirm your points. Don't assume it.
again this is another post with incorrect information in, please could you be a little more careful on what you put as information. Many teachers already in NZ are finding it very difficult find jobs which is why the job is no longer listed on shortage list.

You do not need to consult a Immigration consultant unless you are unlikely to gain a visa or you can't be bothered to do the donkey work and you have lots of spare money.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, but by all means ask an immigration agent for advice, but leave it at that. Dont pay them any money unless you need their expertise due to your individual circumstances being very complicated. If you can do the paperwork and legwork yourself - do it.

Teachers as Mrs F says are off the list due to many New Zealanders themselves finding it impossible to get work, so its unlikely that teachers will come back on the LTSS list any time soon.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Good luck MzB - sounds like a good start!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Ajohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really nice

I joined a teaching agency last week. Now I've got a Skype interview tonight with a school! never had one of these before and I'm bricking it. What's the norm?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:02 am
MzB
Just Joined

Good luck!!! What agency????
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Ajohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really nice

Education personnel. They were really helpful.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:12 am
MzB
Just Joined

Cool. I have signed up with Oasis, alkthough have made my own contacts! Good luck, sure u will be fine!!!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Got it! Start in feb although as I'm arriving in November they've offered to give me some part time relief work to hit the ground running! Over the moon...thanks for the luck!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:08 pm
MzB
Just Joined

well done u. Is it secondary??????? Im primary so may be trickier. Fab stuff though so well done!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajohnston1984
Got it! Start in feb although as I'm arriving in November they've offered to give me some part time relief work to hit the ground running! Over the moon...thanks for the luck!
Many congratulations . Details please. Where? Teaching which subject etc.???

I ask a)because I'm nosy & b) because it may well help others on here.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:31 am
MzB
Just Joined

I now work 5 mornings a week (.7 Position) in the city suburbs at a decile 10 school. Very, very excited and look forward to starting. With my 5 days of relief already done, I will not lose out at all from UK and have had a break as I was paid till end of aug! Part time fab, as can chill in afternoons and do voluntary bits. happy days!!
Purely down to me and going in!!! there is hope!! Hoping it will lead to full time position, if not other school I have been doing volunteer work has a position!!
As for being paid............... bloody NZQA, salary assessment etc etc. Will sort it soon I guess!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.