Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Am I being unrealistic? - teacher - which visa and how

Hello!
I am new to this but, here goes! I am a 30-year-old, planning to head to NZ with my daughter (10) to stay with friends, and hopefully work as a teacher out there. I plan to travel on a Skilled Migrant Visa.
I may have done things the wrong way round but, flights are booked for 7th Nov 2012. I have only just sent off my IQA form and the EOI is ready to go, as soon as I know how many points my qualifications are worth. I have no job offer (haven't applied). I anticipate having approx 140 points.

So, am I being totally unrealisitc to expect to have an invitation to apply for a skilled migrant visa, and that I will be granted a visa, before 7th Nov. 2012? Should I be looking to change my flights?!

If there is anyone who thinks I may be in for a chance (of being offered a visa in time) what can I do in the meantime to prepare - other than medical and police check?

Any thoughts, advise would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I being unrealistic?

have you checked that teacher is still on the list, got a funny feeling it might of been removed?
teaching jobs for people already here are few and far between from what I gather from here
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
have you checked that teacher is still on the list, got a funny feeling it might of been removed?
teaching jobs for people already here are few and far between from what I gather from here
Oh dear. I think you might be right. I have a feeling I'm gonna need a firm job offer before I can head over.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:19 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The school term in NZ seems to start in January i.e. that is about the equivalent to the September start in UK. You might want to re-schedule your flights. BTW, trying to find work in education in December/early January is difficult because once the school term has ended it's pretty much game over until the new term starts. I'm just saying that if you come in November without an offer of work you've not got a great deal of time to get a job offer before the school terms ends in December.

Even if you are lucky enough to get work shortly after arrival in NZ, that only gives you about six weeks paid work before the end of the school term. Would you be paid throughout the summer recess/Christmas holidays ? For a new starter like you would be, it's doubtful, yes ?

Potentially, 3 months of unemployment could stretch out before you. Half of that being spent not being able to contact anyone as the school will be empty.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 3rd 2012 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:25 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just a heads up on terms, our school term this year ends on the 19th Dec and doesn't start again til 7th February. think its the same most years all of January off
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Am certain that teacher has been removed from the LTSS list - and that being the case you might find it difficult to get a visa even with a job offer. Certainly as has already been said, no point in going over in November, so if you still want to take a change and go, go over once the school is back in the new year 2013 you would stand more of a chance.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello! It's me again. All this feedback is SO helpful - thank you everyone. I have arrangements, once out there, to stay with some very good friends - they are all set to have my daughter and me to stay! So, being without employment for a few months wouldn't be too awful. I'm more worried about whether or not the visa will arrive before Nov 7th?

Also, what's the deal with heading out on a working holiday visa? This seems to be a lot quicker. Is it an option to head out on a working holiday visa and continue with my skilled migrant application once out there??

Would my daughter be able to attend a school out there, if we were over and a working holiday visa?

Sorry for all these questions!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:46 pm

not sure if you mean this scheme http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

but it states you can't bring children.
also states you need to be under 30 yrs old

I think you need to speak to NZ house and ask them the best route in
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

For a working holiday visa you need to be 30 or under (i.e. not reached your 31 birthday) and have no children, so you wouldnt be eligible for that one. As Mrs F says ring NZH and see what they think might be a good idea.

Last edited by ellenarosemary; Jul 3rd 2012 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Slight correction - you can apply for a working holiday visa when you are 30 or under - so you must have applied before you turn 31. I don't know about the children thing - but I would very much doubt you can bring children on it.

I would not recommend going ahead with your plan to fly out to NZ in 5 months. This is not enough time.

Do you think you have 140 points with - or without a job offer?

If you have 140 points without a job offer, then you will get selected out of the pool straight away - but as others have said, teaching is not, according to what others are saying, necessarily in demand at the moment.

If you do not have 140 points and you don't have a job offer - there is no point in putting in a EOI at this stage.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Great thank you for this. That has ruled out the Working Holiday Visa as, although I am just within the age bracket, I cannot bring children. Thank you for pointing this out. What a pickle I'm in, although, it is just a case of moving the flights back a bit, which isn't too much trouble!

I have just emailed NZ House in London, and will phone them tomorrow. Again, thank you for this advise. It's very helpful.
I didn't mention that my daughter's father is out there, and is supportive of the move, although we are no longer together. He has NZ citizenship so I wonder if this might help matters? He also supports her financially, through NZ CSA although I can't see anywhere on the EOI form that I could add this important information?
If you could shed some light on this form me, I'd appreciate it!
Once again,
Thank you!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Slight correction - you can apply for a working holiday visa when you are 30 or under - so you must have applied before you turn 31. I don't know about the children thing - but I would very much doubt you can bring children on it.

I would not recommend going ahead with your plan to fly out to NZ in 5 months. This is not enough time.

Do you think you have 140 points with - or without a job offer?

If you have 140 points without a job offer, then you will get selected out of the pool straight away - but as others have said, teaching is not, according to what others are saying, necessarily in demand at the moment.

If you do not have 140 points and you don't have a job offer - there is no point in putting in a EOI at this stage.
Hi.
Thank you for replying to my post. I anticipate having 140 without a job offer. That's just me using a quick-check tool (on-line) and calculating what I think my qualifications are worth!
Any other advise would be very much appreciated!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a quick point, you can only claim points for one qualification. So just checking that you do have 140 without a job offer and just the one qualification?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Just a quick point, you can only claim points for one qualification. So just checking that you do have 140 without a job offer and just the one qualification?
Ah, I was hoping for points for my HND, Degree and my PGCE. On the EOI form there is space for adding more that 1 qualification and the points granted. I have asked (on my IQA) for an assesment of all three?? Yikes! I think it may well be just a holiday in November?!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

First . Welcome to BE. As you have read , folk around here are very helpful indeedy. I have tweaked your title a wee bit to better reflect your questions.

So. Onto your quest to live and work in NZ. I calculate you may have around 105 points at best
10 yrs work exp.
That is without a job offer.

Teachers are no longer in shortage here . Many homegrown teachers are finding it difficult to find work, even supply work, so you may well need to think about that one.

As Ellenarosemary pointed out, you may only claim points for one qualification. Further , you will need to be registered with the NZ teachers council.

A working holiday visa will not allow you to bring your child with you.

As you are not in a permanent steady relationship with your child's father, he has no bearing on your own SMC application. It will be up to you to show that you can survive financially ,support your child and yourself in NZ & so, settle well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.