SM Category Points and Jobs

Old May 8th 2012, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Charlie67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SM Category Points and Jobs

Hi All,

I am new here and I hope my question has not been asked before, I did search the site first, so please help if you can.

I am planning on going to work in NZ permanently under SM category, I have got friends there and I am ready for a new start really.

My occupation is on the skilled occupations list and I have recognised qualification-a BA from Birmingham Uni, which I believe is on the list of qualifications exempt from assessment.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35162.htm

My biggest worry is I am yet to secure employment in NZ. From filling in the points form it seems experience can add points only if its 2years or more. Is this correct? I only have a year and a half experience doing the required job.

My Points at the moment are as follows
Recognised Qualifications ------------50
Age, I am 24---------------------------30
which leaves me with only 80 points and below the required for EOI

If I manage to get a job outside of Auckland I would then have 140 points.

At the risk of sounding silly, do you think it may be possible to claim points for both Degree and Diplomas(level 3,4,5,) or you can only claim one type of educational points? This would make it possible for me to apply without claiming points for employment.

I am sorry for the long question, please help if you can.
Thank you.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: SM Category Points and Jobs

Hi there and welcome to BE

At the risk of sounding silly, do you think it may be possible to claim points for both Degree and Diplomas(level 3,4,5,) or you can only claim one type of educational points?
There is no question too silly. You can only claim for one lot of education points.

As you already have 18 months work exp in whatever field it is, best to hang on another 6 months so you can claim the points. Points are prizes in this game.

Also, that gives you 6 months to research the job market here. Of course, a job offer improves the quality of an application so if you could secure a job offer that would bring your points up. In any case, if offered a job you could choose to arrive on a temp work visa to get you here and started. From there one would start the SMC application.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Charlie67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SM Category Points and Jobs

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there and welcome to BE

There is no question too silly. You can only claim for one lot of education points.

As you already have 18 months work exp in whatever field it is, best to hang on another 6 months so you can claim the points. Points are prizes in this game.

Also, that gives you 6 months to research the job market here. Of course, a job offer improves the quality of an application so if you could secure a job offer that would bring your points up. In any case, if offered a job you could choose to arrive on a temp work visa to get you here and started. From there one would start the SMC application.
Thanks BEVS
Yes looks like I may just have to hang in there and keep searching for a job too. So near yet so far (sigh)
You see post after post on here about how difficult it is to get a job whilst in UK; but I believe I can do it though and will ket you know when it happens.
Cheers again