Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

You have probably heard it before.....

You have probably heard it before.....

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Merrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You have probably heard it before.....

Good evening

First post on here, albeit I have been an avid follower from afar since I embarked on my journey to Canada sometime ago!

We used the initial services of a now disappeared individual from Eastern Canada who had come highly recommended and research showed he was successful! We arrived In Canada in August 2014, my wife on a Study Permit, me on a Spousal Work Permit.

We were initially advised that any job offer (especially a Supervisor position) would be adequate to apply for PR. I returned to the UK for work commitments and came back to Canada in November.

I secured a position as a Supervisor but recently found out the individual is no longer undertaking Immigration work, but obviously he forgot to notify us and never returned our money!!

Its been a mad scramble for my daughters Study Visa application as she has been accepted to a local Uni. The first one was declined but I have now identified why through a Lawyer, which I paid through the nose for! Hopefully the Los Angeles Canadian Consulate can turn it around within 5 weeks - although there are Immigration offices 10 minutes round the corner!

Bottom line is bad news! She advises that the legislation has changed and its now the Express Entry route and I wouldn't be eligible to apply for PR. I have had a full-time Supervisor position for 3 months now.

It feels there is so much conflicting & costly information out there. I may be forced to return to the UK which is not exactly what was planned as I moved lock stock and barrel on the understanding our "advisor" had given the correct information and could assist with PR.

I appreciate there will be responses with "I told you so" but it seemed like a good and convenient method at the time!
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:47 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You have probably heard it before.....

Originally Posted by Merrick
I appreciate there will be responses with "I told you so" but it seemed like a good and convenient method at the time!
Before all that starts, welcome to the forum.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome note!
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

You haven't mentioned what your supervisory position is in - if you could give a few more details somebody should be able to advise you on the best route to take.

In the meantime, our Wiki is very useful for finding out different routes and the requirements for them - then you can post back with more questions as they arise.

I've moved your post to the Immigration forum, as it's likely that's what most of your posts are going to be about.

Regarding the 'out East Immigration company' - have you checked whether you are able to obtain money paid up front back? There's a couple of threads on here about it.

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 8:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

A supervisor job should definitely qualify for either FSW or CEC (both under EE). But to double check we really need to know your NOC code, any ideas?

Can you just clarify, you're both in Canada now and your wife is on a study permit, you on an OWP? Your daughter is also on a study permit? How old is she? I'm just wondering if her age might be an issue and if you might need to get a PR app in asap before she ages out. Is that the reason you had to get her a study permit?

FWIW, I think the first info you were given about being able to apply for a PR as a supervisor was correct, and the second lawyer you spoke to was wrong. There's no way that a supervisory job should be classed as 'unskilled'.

As Siouxie's said above, if you can give us more info (particularly about your job - if you don't know the NOC code, then just a title and some of your duties will do), then we can help.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 22nd 2015 at 8:14 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Siouxie and Christmasoompa

Thank you very much for your welcome and your replies with offers of assistance.

I am a Supervisor with Security and Safety Operations with Metrolinx. I will hopefully gain Peace Officer status with it and relates to enforcement and customer service on the transit system. I am unsure of the NOC code.

We are both in Canada - wife on Study Visa and me on an OWP. My daughter has just turned 20 so I now understand she is no longer a dependent. We had hoped to gain PR prior to her turning 22 so we didn't have to pay an additional set of International fees. It was always the plan for her to go to Uni here, but had hoped to have gained PR next year sometime. She will now have to do that without coming under our application.

I have been in contact with the Regulator of the Immigration Consultants regrading reimbursement and some answers, but they have proved to be very unhelpful! I paid by Credit Card so will try that route, but will also review all the threads on here about it - thank you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to read and consider my posts.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:32 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I cant offer any immigration advice but wanted to wish you luck in getting this all sorted out. There are many wise peeps on here that will help you.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the program of your study your daughter is engaged in, it might be worth investigating if she could possibly be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit once she finishes (if that program is still available then, there's never any guarantees). If she's at University, there should be an international student advisor based there who would be able to give her more info. See this link:

Stay in Canada after graduation

The same may apply to your wife actually, depending on her program of study and the other eligibility criteria.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 22nd 2015 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Howefamily & Snowy560

Thank you for your messages and support!

My daughter would look to stay after graduation - its the extortionate fees that I may struggle to pay for four years tuition! Going back to the UK was a cheaper option for her but she would be by herself which would not be ideal!