Working visa, how does it work?

Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working visa, how does it work?

I was thinking about going down the route of applying for a visa to work, but I'm not on the FSW list of occupations. I was wondering - do I need a job offer first before I can apply for a work visa, or do I apply for a work visa and then look for a job in Canada? As I'm over 30, I know I won't be able to apply for the International Experience Canada. Also how long does it roughly take for a visa to come through after application?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:59 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working visa, how does it work?

You will need a job offer, but also an LMAIO which basically means that the employer has met certain stipulations in trying to get a Canadian to do the job and can not. Then they will grant the above and you can get your temporary work permit.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ what she said.

Timing wise, it'll depend on your job but figure about 3-4 months for the LMIA once the employer has paid the $1000 and submitted an app. You may also need to add on a few weeks for the advertising requirement, but that will depend on how thoroughly its been advertised across canada previously.

HTH.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see. Does the employer apply for the LMAIO on your behalf or is that something I would need to do myself as well as applying for the visa?

Alternatively, I was wondering if I can I apply for a working visa without a job offer? And then once I obtain the working visa then apply for jobs? I'm just thinking that without a visa in place, would that make it more difficult for employers to you you on?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
Oh I see. Does the employer apply for the LMAIO on your behalf or is that something I would need to do myself as well as applying for the visa?

Alternatively, I was wondering if I can I apply for a working visa without a job offer? And then once I obtain the working visa then apply for jobs? I'm just thinking that without a visa in place, would that make it more difficult for employers to you you on?
The LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) is the employer applying to hire a foreign worker, because they have tried to find a Canadian and have been unsuccessful. It costs the employer over $1000 to do this, the applications to hire foreign workers have dropped over 70% since this came out. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/temp...orms-1.2768151

You cannot apply for a work permit alone, you need to get a job offer with an employer who cannot fill the job within Canada and can demonstrate that they have tried to do so. If their LMIA application is successful, you can then get a work permit on this, without it, it is a non starter.

The point of the new system is to push employers to hire Canadians in preference to recruiting overseas. It seems to be working. If you have some very specific, demand skills it makes it much easier to get hired, with generic skills that are widely available in Canada, it makes it very hard to get a job offer or for an employer to get an LMIA approved.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/em...s/hire-how.asp

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 21st 2014 at 4:21 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

I see, thanks for explaining this. I guess it's good for Canadians, but not so good for those who want to get work there. Not easy I guess to try and get work there without my registration in Canada.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
I guess it's good for Canadians,
Which is the point. No sense bringing in foreign labour when we have the labour resources already here.