Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit for unexperienced accountant, doable?

Work permit for unexperienced accountant, doable?

Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:03 am
Just Joined

DjSap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit for unexperienced accountant, doable?

I am currently completing my master of accounting in australia and have no experience in accounting, can the HRSDC still approve an application for me to work for a company as an accountant? Just how tough is HRSDC in the approval process? I speak fluent swedish so would the employer have to emphasise that in order to get the application approved?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit for unexperienced accountant, doable?

Originally Posted by DjSap
I am currently completing my master of accounting in australia and have no experience in accounting, can the HRSDC still approve an application for me to work for a company as an accountant? Just how tough is HRSDC in the approval process? I speak fluent swedish so would the employer have to emphasise that in order to get the application approved?
I'm sorry I have to ask, is there something interesting going on with the Canadian job market and it's language requirements, but what exactly is the value of Swedish in getting HRSDC approval for a job in Canada?

Dozzzzy
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:05 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
I'm sorry I have to ask, is there something interesting going on with the Canadian job market and it's language requirements, but what exactly is the value of Swedish in getting HRSDC approval for a job in Canada?

Dozzzzy
Hey havent you heard? Harper is so worried about the 'non-white heathens' that when he wins the election he's forming a new federation with the Swedes, therefore anybody applying now must be able to speak fluent English and Swedish. (The requirement of speaking english also includes a clause that three generations must also have used English as a first or second language)

Butch
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hey havent you heard? Harper is so worried about the 'non-white heathens' that when he wins the election he's forming a new federation with the Swedes, therefore anybody applying now must be able to speak fluent English and Swedish. (The requirement of speaking english also includes a clause that three generations must also have used English as a first or second language)

Butch
Thanks Butch,

Must of missed that anouncement, darn better switch from my swahili, punjab, manderin, & cantonise class and get in on the whole Swedish thing, love the sunas, then plunging in to frezzing water and whipping ones self with a tree, so I should fit right in. Just as well my hair is blonde so no need to dye it. Do you think it will matter that I have green eyes and not blue?

Dozzzzy
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:15 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Thanks Butch,

Must of missed that anouncement, darn better switch from my swahili, punjab, manderin, & cantonise class and get in on the whole Swedish thing, love the sunas, then plunging in to frezzing water and whipping ones self with a tree, so I should fit right in. Just as well my hair is blonde so no need to dye it. Do you think it will matter that I have green eyes and not blue?

Dozzzzy
I dont think Harper cares what colour your eyes are as long as you are white european (extraction) and can pass yourself off as a Christian.

Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Butch

When is Harper going to get his English up to speed ?

You're really not getting this diversity thing. The government doesn't care whether or not people speak Swedish but a Swede running an accounting firm might very well. Lots of firms hire according to ethnicity. We, for example, would be reluctant to deal with someone who didn't have passable rhyming slang. I don't know whether or not accountants are a wanted skill but a computer person could use Swedish to find a firm run by people who speak Swedish to sponsor him. There are a fair number of Swedish speakers in Canada, the ones I know in Toronto were born in the US and India but I believe there are many more in the provinces above Minnesota. This week I'm in an office in the US, almost to Minnesota, but it's no help as the workers here are Norwegians.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 19th 2006 at 11:14 am.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
When is Harper going to get his English up to speed ?

You're really not getting this diversity thing. The government doesn't care whether or not people speak Swedish but a Swede running an accounting firm might very well. Lots of firms hire according to ethnicity. We, for example, would be reluctant to deal with someone who didn't have passable rhyming slang. I don't know whether or not accountants are a wanted skill but a computer person could use Swedish to find a firm run by people who speak Swedish to sponsor him. There are a fair number of Swedish speakers in Canada, the ones I know in Toronto were born in the US and India but I believe there are many more in the provinces above Minnesota. This week I'm in an office in the US, almost to Minnesota, but it's no help as the workers here are Norwegians.
I'm well into the diversity thing actually old bean, and I can understand how a Swedish speaking accountant can be a valuable assest to a firm.

I think what you failed to appreciate was a joke, a throw comment or two, a piss take at the expense not only of Harper but also the whole idea that a change of govt is making a sudden and sweeping change to the way immigration is handled in Canada.

Getting serious again for a minute on the Swedish language thing I think if the OP had replaced the word would with could then maybe myself and dozzy wouldnt have picked up on it.

Anyway keep the faith.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm well into the diversity thing actually old bean, and I can understand how a Swedish speaking accountant can be a valuable assest to a firm.

I think what you failed to appreciate was a joke, a throw comment or two, a piss take at the expense not only of Harper but also the whole idea that a change of govt is making a sudden and sweeping change to the way immigration is handled in Canada.

Getting serious again for a minute on the Swedish language thing I think if the OP had replaced the word would with could then maybe myself and dozzy wouldnt have picked up on it.

Anyway keep the faith.

I guess you don't actively fear Harper because you're not in Canada. Toronto is immobilised with dread, it's difficult to escape the pervading feeling that we're about to lunge back to 1950. The one benefit we English can see is that a return to the use of corporal punishment will play to our pleasures.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I guess you don't actively fear Harper because you're not in Canada. Toronto is immobilised with dread, it's difficult to escape the pervading feeling that we're about to lunge back to 1950. The one benefit we English can see is that a return to the use of corporal punishment will play to our pleasures.
Oh I fear what the idiots behind him may do. Particularly as I'm heading for Calgary in midmarch.