Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit denied what to do next?

Work permit denied what to do next?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

david123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Work permit denied what to do next?

Hello heres whats happend so far.Been in canada on a working holiday visa should have got my passport stamped for 12month.I checked my passport 5 months later and the immigration officer only stamped for 6 months.I quickly got my boss to apply for lmo which took around 4months due to missing paperwork and the lmo changing the rules.When it came back possitive i sent for a work extension just over 3 months later i recieved a letter saying my visa was denied and if i didnt leave they could force meIt was denied because i appliied out of the 90day limit.
I have a girlfriend here who is now 3month pregnant and dont have a clue what to do.Any help or people to call would be good.

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:11 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit denied what to do next?

The quick fix would be to marry your girlfriend, assuming she is a Canadian citizen or PR, and have her sponsor you for PR. Anything else would be most difficult.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

She is not canadian shes bulgarian not a pr she has been here for 5yr on student visa she has only a few months until she finishes uni.We wouldnt mind returning to england but just not yet while pregnant and final exams are going on.Money is also tight and here she would get some maternity leave which would help out.Should i contact immigration or a lawyer or even leave the country and enter again as a visitor.
Thanks for the reply
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:45 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david123
Hello heres whats happend so far.Been in canada on a working holiday visa should have got my passport stamped for 12month.I checked my passport 5 months later and the immigration officer only stamped for 6 months.I quickly got my boss to apply for lmo which took around 4months due to missing paperwork and the lmo changing the rules.When it came back possitive i sent for a work extension just over 3 months later i recieved a letter saying my visa was denied and if i didnt leave they could force meIt was denied because i appliied out of the 90day limit.
I have a girlfriend here who is now 3month pregnant and dont have a clue what to do.Any help or people to call would be good.

Thanks a lot
So when your working holiday visa expired - did you not get a visitor visa? I assume not.

I am not sure there is much you can do in this situation. I know you can pay to restore your status - but not sure if this would work in your situation as it would seem you have been in Canada for 7 months without any kind of visa?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

When my working holiday visa expired i went to the immigration office and told them i was worried about it.The lady said that after your visa expires you have another 90days to get your application in.I thought my lmo would take a round 30 days or so but it took months.So when i sent my application to extend my work permit i explained why it took so long to get the lmo etc.Im not sure if they want excuses or even bothered reading it though.
If i have to leave could i re enter on a visitor visa for a couple of months until my girlfriend has done her last exams?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

When my working holiday visa expired i went to the immigration office and told them i was worried about it.The lady said that after your visa expires you have another 90days to get your application in.I thought my lmo would take a round 30 days or so but it took months.So when i sent my application to extend my work permit i explained why it took so long to get the lmo etc.Im not sure if they want excuses or even bothered reading it though.
If i have to leave could i re enter on a visitor visa for a couple of months until my girlfriend has done her last exams?
get a new working holiday visa under the new iec scheme?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Ive looked into it and i would have to leave canada apply for the iec visa and if i get accepted it would be ok but i bet it would take ages to sort out and probly wouldnt get accepted because ive had issues with my last one.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:11 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - I suppose the responsibility is on you - you knew that the wait for the lmo was taking you over the 90 day period and so you should have gone and got a visitor visa.

I really am not sure what you should do to be honest - you could try going out and coming back in as a visitor, but you may be told that as you lived in Canada without status for so long, they may not issue you one - and they you would have to leave straight away.

It may be worth giving an immigration lawyer/consultant a call for some advice.

Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Yeah thanks.I will try and sort it out and post what happend incase anyone else is in this position.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Ive looked into it and i would have to leave canada apply for the iec visa and if i get accepted it would be ok but i bet it would take ages to sort out and probly wouldnt get accepted because ive had issues with my last one.
Only to activate it, you could apply for IEC from here as long as you are here legally.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Im not legal now though
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As pp's have said, I'm not sure you can do a lot if you've been living in Canada illegally. Best thing to do is leave asap rather than get even further in to trouble and risk the possibility of being deported/banned.

If you married your girlfriend then you would get an open work permit off the back of her study permit, but again that might not be granted if you've been illegal for a while.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Im not legal now though
Then leave as quickly as is humanly possible.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you married your girlfriend then you would get an open work permit off the back of her study permit, but again that might not be granted if you've been illegal for a while.
I think from the sounds of it her course only has a short time left to run though unfortunately.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Yep her visa will end in may i think.The problem is things are stressfull now with her being near the end of uni plus shes pregnant and worried about me.We havent spent more then 24hrs apart since we met over a year ago.We can both leave and come to England but i dont want her to leave right now because she has been at uni for 5 year and will end soon.I dont want to leave her with An apartment she cant afford,pets to look after and all the added stress of uni and moving.Will immigration give me some time to sell and sort things out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.