Work Permit Clarifications

Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Permit Clarifications

I have the LMIA for a job in Calgary and we are now going through their solicitors for the work permit. I have looked through some useful posts and have a few questions that require a little more help.

1. Common-Law Open Work Permit: I have been told that my other half of 5 years is entitled to an open work permit. She has a daughter of 22 and wants to live back and forth from the UK, so I will set off and get settled. Any implications for this, especially as I won't be travelling with her, and will she need a medical or to make an application at any point?

2. Work permit at point of entry: I worked in Canada on a TWP in 2003-2005 and I had to do all of the applications largely myself and was given the permit at immigration on arrival. For this one, their solicitors are in control and I've been told that, "it is much quicker with them as you will receive the TWP at the port of entry". I'm sure that's what happened back in 2003, but times may well have changed - does anyone know?

3. Based on #2, they want me there at the end of October. How long is the process likely to take from now onwards? I need to fill in the solicitors paperwork (which looks very like the info I gave to CIC in 2003) and I've been asked to organise a medical (I'm now 50yo). Again, back in the day I was told to wait until the paperwork had come back before taking the medical, but that does not seem to be the case. Current UK processing is 6 weeks, but they are in Canada of course and will I'm sure have different timelines.

The LMIA has taken 6 months to come through so I've been not knowing what/where/when I am doing things for a long time now. This current stage just feels like everything is trying to be jammed in last minute because they need me asap so it would be helpful if I can understand the pace for myself.

I did think of separating these questions, but why clog the forum eh?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit Clarifications

Originally Posted by Caribou Jones
I have the LMIA for a job in Calgary and we are now going through their solicitors for the work permit. I have looked through some useful posts and have a few questions that require a little more help.

1. Common-Law Open Work Permit: I have been told that my other half of 5 years is entitled to an open work permit. She has a daughter of 22 and wants to live back and forth from the UK, so I will set off and get settled. Any implications for this, especially as I won't be travelling with her, and will she need a medical or to make an application at any point?

2. Work permit at point of entry: I worked in Canada on a TWP in 2003-2005 and I had to do all of the applications largely myself and was given the permit at immigration on arrival. For this one, their solicitors are in control and I've been told that, "it is much quicker with them as you will receive the TWP at the port of entry". I'm sure that's what happened back in 2003, but times may well have changed - does anyone know?

3. Based on #2, they want me there at the end of October. How long is the process likely to take from now onwards? I need to fill in the solicitors paperwork (which looks very like the info I gave to CIC in 2003) and I've been asked to organise a medical (I'm now 50yo). Again, back in the day I was told to wait until the paperwork had come back before taking the medical, but that does not seem to be the case. Current UK processing is 6 weeks, but they are in Canada of course and will I'm sure have different timelines.

The LMIA has taken 6 months to come through so I've been not knowing what/where/when I am doing things for a long time now. This current stage just feels like everything is trying to be jammed in last minute because they need me asap so it would be helpful if I can understand the pace for myself.

I did think of separating these questions, but why clog the forum eh?
Short answers;

Depending on the job she wants to do may require a medical. basically working with children or vulnerable people or certain medical fields
Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)

As long as you have the positive LMIA and contract and a UK citizen you can get the work permit at the POE and pay the $155 fee. Much easier process.

Why do you need a medical? See above link re required for certain jobs.

Thats it in a nutshell.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have the LMIA for a job in Calgary and we are now going through their solicitors for the work permit.
I hope the company are paying and not you - given that you can just rock up and get the work permit at the airport when you arrive and no paperwork is even required, seems a bit crazy to hire a lawyer to do it!

She can also just apply at the airport when she arrives - info on what she'll need to take is in the Wiki, but essentially it'll be a copy of your LMIA/TWP, and her fee.

As FL has said, you can jump on a plane tomorrow and get your TWP so an October start date is fine.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both for quick responses, very helpful!