Work Permit application

Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

anaes20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit application

Hello,
I have a question regarding the application process for the Work permit- for my family and myself....I am a bit confused!
I have accepted a job as a physician in Saskatchewan. I have received a positive LMIA and have been sent the job contract.
Do I apply for the work permit online? I have read the processing time is about 4 weeks. I am starting my job in May 2018, so we have plenty of time!
Also I presume that I apply for a work permit for myself, an open work permit for my wife and what do I do about my 5 year old son? do I need to apply for a study permit- I am a bit confused about this! I have read somewhere that he does not need a visa at all. Can he just enter using the ETA? does he need a visitor visa?
Also a colleague has informed me that he did not apply for his permit in advance but got it on landing in Toronto!
What is simpler - applying online or applying at the point of entry???
Thank you in advance
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit application

Applying at the POE is easier. No forms to fill out. Fees can be paid by cash or credit card. Son would be issued a Visitor Record which is free. Make sure you have the LMIA, copy of contract and that all passports are valid for duration of stay and thats it.
Your choice in the end.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Applying at the POE is easier. No forms to fill out. Fees can be paid by cash or credit card. Son would be issued a Visitor Record which is free. Make sure you have the LMIA, copy of contract and that all passports are valid for duration of stay and thats it.
Your choice in the end.

1. The OP should note that s/he will require a medical from a DMP.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. The OP should note that s/he will require a medical from a DMP.
Yes and if applying at the POE the medical results must be in the system.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Yes, we will book our medicals with one of the panel physicians.
I think we might go for the online visa application, as we want to open a Canadian Bank account with HSBC and HSBC wants to see the work permit before they do that.
I will only apply for a work permit for my wife and myself and my son can travel using his ETA and get the visitor record on the POE
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anaes20
T
I think we might go for the online visa application, as we want to open a Canadian Bank account with HSBC and HSBC wants to see the work permit before they do that.
I will only apply for a work permit for my wife and myself and my son can travel using his ETA and get the visitor record on the POE
You won't actually get the work permit until you arrive in Canada anyway though - you just get a 'letter of approval' to take with you, and then the actual work permit is received at the POE.

HTH.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You won't actually get the work permit until you arrive in Canada anyway though - you just get a 'letter of approval' to take with you, and then the actual work permit is received at the POE.

HTH.
Thanks! I think I should be able to show HSBC the letter of approval - inorder for them to open a bank account. I phoned them up regarding opening a Canadian Bank account and they mentioned- only once I get a visa, they would go ahead and open and account and give me credit cards, etc
I am not sure if any one else has had experience with opening a Canadian bank account whilst still in the UK?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 7:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I think I should be able to show HSBC the letter of approval - inorder for them to open a bank account. I phoned them up regarding opening a Canadian Bank account and they mentioned- only once I get a visa, they would go ahead and open and account and give me credit cards, etc
I am not sure if any one else has had experience with opening a Canadian bank account whilst still in the UK?
Most of the banks here will open an account before you move to Canada- up to a point. It will allow you to transfer funds, but won't be fully operational until you are in Canada. They all have 'newcomer' accounts with various bonus's like free banking, help with car loans, mortgage etc., credit cards.

Here's some links for you..

Planning Your Move | Scotiabank StartRight
Moving to Canada - Open a Bank Account - RBC
https://newcomer.cibc.com/moving-to-canada
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planni...ving-to-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 21st 2018 at 7:34 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

HSBC only require the letter or the contract to open the account, plus the usual UK paperwork hoops. We were expecting a 2-3 week turn around, but it was all processed over a weekend which threw us a little as we were on vacation, so not home to sign for our cards etc. If you are not already a customer it may take a little longer.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
HSBC only require the letter or the contract to open the account, plus the usual UK paperwork hoops. We were expecting a 2-3 week turn around, but it was all processed over a weekend which threw us a little as we were on vacation, so not home to sign for our cards etc. If you are not already a customer it may take a little longer.
Thank you for your advice! much appreciated