Where to start?

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

essbee80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hi,

So i'm hoping someone can help me started in the process (or even to tell me its unrealistic and start planning lots of holidays!).

My details - i'm 35, studying for masters in drug and alcohol addiction (have honours in psychology and social policy) and seriously thinking about a move probably to Toronto (though if other areas would be more realistic then thats where i'd go - i've contacts in Toronto).

My questions - am I too old to start the process? I returned to study as a mature student because I realised i'd found my passion and needed to qualify to work in the field. I've a few years volunteering experience but I believe this doesnt get taken into account? I'm single and dont have children so it'd be just myself.

Are there any agencies I should contact who work in the addiction recruitment field? I've found some but dont know if this would be the best way to look for employment or if I should go to employers directly?

I went to a canada show last year but was very disappointed with lack of advice (basically the guy told me that unless I paid him several thousand i'd not get in) which put me off the whole idea but the more I think on it the more Canada is just where I want to be so its time to seriously start the process.

I'd really appreciate any advice / information / links to pages I need to read or simply if you think i'm too old and I need to get used to the idea that too.

Thanks so much for reading!
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:12 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by essbee80
Hi, So i'm hoping someone can help me started in the process (or even to tell me its unrealistic and start planning lots of holidays!). My details - i'm 35, studying for masters in drug and alcohol addiction (have honours in psychology and social policy) and seriously thinking about a move probably to Toronto (though if other areas would be more realistic then thats where i'd go - i've contacts in Toronto). My questions - am I too old to start the process? I returned to study as a mature student because I realised i'd found my passion and needed to qualify to work in the field. I've a few years volunteering experience but I believe this doesnt get taken into account? I'm single and dont have children so it'd be just myself. Are there any agencies I should contact who work in the addiction recruitment field? I've found some but dont know if this would be the best way to look for employment or if I should go to employers directly? I went to a canada show last year but was very disappointed with lack of advice (basically the guy told me that unless I paid him several thousand i'd not get in) which put me off the whole idea but the more I think on it the more Canada is just where I want to be so its time to seriously start the process. I'd really appreciate any advice / information / links to pages I need to read or simply if you think i'm too old and I need to get used to the idea that too. Thanks so much for reading!
Welcome to the forumThere are a few knowledgeable mecico's on here who might be able to give you some pointers. I have a good friend here on the west coast who, until very recently was a big-ish cheese in the Aids and drug addiction scene. If you have any specific questions I'd be very happy to try and get his input. Good luck though.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:48 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear of someone else in their 30s who is single and no children and wants to emigrate (we are a rare bunch for some reason).

I'm a youth worker in Vancouver. The city has a large homeless population and along with that, drug and alcohol depency. The are lots of shelters, detox and treatment places. I don't know about Toronto but maybe consider Vancouver as there is always the need for MH workers, and addiction councillors
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Hi both and thanks so much for getting back to me.

Frankly i'd consider anywhere and I know my dad would be happy for me to be in Vancouver (live out his dream).

Are there agencies in Vancouver I should contact or are most employment opportunities direct with the employer?

I'm really grateful for any advice you can offer.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You're unlikely to get anywhere with an employment agencies, although of course there's no harm in trying. But assuming you'll be going over on a TWP and you'll need to find an employer prepared to spend $1000, wait quite a while and go through the hassle/paperwork of hiring you, I'd suggest you go direct to the employer to give yourself the best chance.

If you haven't read it already, then the Job Hunting section of the Wiki has loads of useful info.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks. So many things to know. I think this is why the person I met last year wanted me to give him thousands. I just really need to know that there's at least a slight glimmer of possibility or if its a dream! Thanks!!
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, as a start you could begin with the following & maybe contact one of them

Job Postings | Canadian Mental Health Association Vancouver Fraser Branch

Mental Health & Addictions Professionals - Who We Hire - Vancouver Coastal Health Careers

Mental Health Worker Jobs in Vancouver, BC | Indeed.com

Mental Health Support Worker Jobs In Vancouver British Columbia | WowJobs
Old Nov 4th 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Goes to do. Thank you!!
Old Nov 4th 2015, 11:12 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

one more to the list

Mental Health jobs at PHSA
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

thankyou!!