Where to start?

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 10:14 am
Just Joined

MumToGirls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hello, wondering if anyone can help.
My husband, myself and our three daughters are planning on moving to Ontario in 2018. Where do I start getting everything in order? Myself and our two youngest daughters have citizenship already but my husband and the eldest, who is actually my step-daughter, do not.
I have spent a long time on google but there's just so much conflicting information that it's overwhelming.
Do i need to register my two children as canadians born abroad? Do i need to sort out my canadian passport? Will we even be able to take my step-daughter? She will be 16 at the time (we wouldn't go without her).
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by MumToGirls
Hello, wondering if anyone can help.
My husband, myself and our three daughters are planning on moving to Ontario in 2018. Where do I start getting everything in order? Myself and our two youngest daughters have citizenship already but my husband and the eldest, who is actually my step-daughter, do not.
I have spent a long time on google but there's just so much conflicting information that it's overwhelming.
Do i need to register my two children as canadians born abroad? Do i need to sort out my canadian passport? Will we even be able to take my step-daughter? She will be 16 at the time (we wouldn't go without her).
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can sponsor your husband and step-daughter for PR, it will take around a year or so to get so factor that in to your planning. If your step-daughter's biological mother is still alive you'll need written permission from her to remove her daughter from the UK (or a court order to that effect). You should apply for your Canadian passport and your children's passports (or their proof of citizenship certs if they don't have a Canadian birth certificate).

Have a look at the Wiki for info on spousal sponsorship, there's a great FAQ as well (on the sticky thread above) which is full of useful info thanks to our lovely Schnookololy.

The CIC website is where the official info is, here you go -

Apply – Proof of citizenship

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:43 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

+1 for everything Oompa said. It will take you probably 3ish months to get everything you need together for the application for your husband and step-daughter, then processing times are sitting at roughly a year at the moment.

Be aware that you could apply now and remain in the UK until 2018 - as long as your family remains living with you, they aren't at risk of losing their PR status. Also keep an eye on the max age for your step-daughter to be sponsored, it cuts off at 18 I believe (or is it 19? Can't remember offhand), so as long as you get your application in in the next year you should be just fine.

Any questions just come back and ask; as Oompa said, make sure you read the wiki as it outlines things pretty clearly. There's one article on just spousal/family sponsorship, then a FAQ (linked in my signature) that will help you as you fill out the actual application.

Best of luck!