Where do I start

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

rocket1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where do I start

Hi All,
I have read through tonnes of threads about how people have done it etc, and also the use of an agent and if it is totally worth it?
I took one of those online tests which is now asking for £196.00 for forms filling etc? My question is what is the first step I need to do in order to go ahead without an agent?
Where do I get forms or register etc?
I am in the process of having my CV reformatted for Canadian resume style which will then be sent out to all and sundry.

Does anyone know where the majority of corporate law offices are situated in Canada? I currently work in the city in London as a bookkeeper for a large firm but would be quite happy to take on another role if it meant getting into Canada.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, just need to know what to do next.

Thanks in Advance

Rocket
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start

All the forms you could possibly need are available for FREE from the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Read Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

Your key to getting into Canada almost certainly will be a job that no qualified Canadian wants (unless you're under 30 and can get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC).

Therefore it's critical to read the Wiki article called Labour Shortages.

I would expect Toronto to be the city with the most law firms. But there are law firms in all Canadian cities. Just from my casual observations, the number of law firms seems to be in proportion to the population. So a large city has lots of law firms, a small town perhaps has one, and a hamlet has none.

But the number of law firms, on its own, is not the most relevant factor. Bookkeepers are not in short supply in Ontario.

If I remember correctly, you expressed an interest in British Columbia when you started making enquiries on this forum. You'll be interested to note that bookkeepers are listed amongst the Occupations under Pressure in BC. That is promising from the point of view of being able to get a Labour Market Opinion and a temporary work permit.

If you have an open mind regarding Canadian destinations, read all the lists of Occupations under Pressure. There are links in the Wiki on Labour Shortages.

To find out the names and locations of potential employers, read the Wiki called Finding Job Opportunities.

Then read the Wiki article called Quick Job Hunting Instructions to figure out how to proceed from there.

Before you pay a single cent to an immigration consultant, read the Wiki called Immigration Consultants.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
All the forms you could possibly need are available for FREE from the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Read Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

Your key to getting into Canada almost certainly will be a job that no qualified Canadian wants (unless you're under 30 and can get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC).

Therefore it's critical to read the Wiki article called Labour Shortages.

I would expect Toronto to be the city with the most law firms. But there are law firms in all Canadian cities. Just from my casual observations, the number of law firms seems to be in proportion to the population. So a large city has lots of law firms, a small town perhaps has one, and a hamlet has none.

But the number of law firms, on its own, is not the most relevant factor. Bookkeepers are not in short supply in Ontario.

If I remember correctly, you expressed an interest in British Columbia when you started making enquiries on this forum. You'll be interested to note that bookkeepers are listed amongst the Occupations under Pressure in BC. That is promising from the point of view of being able to get a Labour Market Opinion and a temporary work permit.

If you have an open mind regarding Canadian destinations, read all the lists of Occupations under Pressure. There are links in the Wiki on Labour Shortages.

To find out the names and locations of potential employers, read the Wiki called Finding Job Opportunities.

Then read the Wiki article called Quick Job Hunting Instructions to figure out how to proceed from there.

Before you pay a single cent to an immigration consultant, read the Wiki called Immigration Consultants.

Hope that helps.
x
Hi Judy, thanks for this.
I checked the list and bookkeeper is only on the list for BC? This is what I sat exams for but have experience in most other areas of legal finance.

So I presume I have to concentrate on that area?

No nothing about BC, best places to live, best places to bring up my 2 boys who are currently 4 and 7?

I did read about a guy who put all the forms in himself, rather that pay agents, am I write in saying that unless you get a firm job offer this will be a complete no brainer as you need the job offer in order to go for the TWP (printed off the abreviation list so getting used to the jargon at last)

I think I will just opt for a mass marketing task and mail and email every law firm that I find to begin with, I did see that there is one agency advertising loads of accounting jobs, not sure how easy it would be to go and set up some meetings if going on a recce to BC or Ontario?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

http://nsnt.ca/pdf/NSNT%20Book%20Kee...escription.pdf

Have you heard about the fast Nova Scotia Community Identified stream?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
http://nsnt.ca/pdf/NSNT%20Book%20Kee...escription.pdf

Have you heard about the fast Nova Scotia Community Identified stream?
I took a brief look but did not see bookkeeper on the list, thanks for the attachment the only concern I would have is that the hours are 20 - 24 hours therefore I imagine salary would be quite low as well. I will make contact with them and see what comes of it. Thanks again Ronniekent.