Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When to apply for PR?? please help.

When to apply for PR?? please help.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 10:41 am
atat1000

Hello Experts,

I got a student visa to study for a PhD in a Canadian University starting Sept 2001. With
my 14 years of experience as an engineer I may have a good chance to apply for a Permanent
Residence. My questions are:

1- Shall my student visa affect my application for PR considering the dual interest? 2- Do
u advise me to apply now in my home country or to wait till I enter Canada? I have a
chance to defer my admission to 2002 in case any delay in PR visa. 3- In case I apply now,
is there any possibility to encounter any problem entering Canada with me student visa?

Please Advise me.

Atef Atal.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 6:59 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Dear Atef Atal:

You may want to apply for Canadian PR once you have obtained your student visa.

Student Visas will only be issued to individuals who have the intention of studying in
Canada temporarily. You have the onus of satisfying a Visa officer that you intend on
returning back to your home country once your student visa expires. This will be difficult
to do if you apply for your Canadian permanent residency prior to applying for your
student visa.

However, you may want to apply soley for Canadian PR. Once you obtain your immigrant visa,
you will have almost all of the Rights and obligations as Canadian citizens, and thus you
will be permitted to study in Canada.

For information on immigration to Canada go to www.webimmigration.com

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> Hello Experts,
>
> I got a student visa to study for a PhD in a Canadian University starting Sept 2001.
> With my 14 years of experience as an engineer I may have a
good
> chance to apply for a Permanent Residence. My questions are:
>
> 1- Shall my student visa affect my application for PR considering the dual interest? 2-
> Do u advise me to apply now in my home country or to wait
till
> I enter Canada? I have a chance to defer my admission to 2002 in case any delay in PR
> visa. 3- In case I apply now, is there any possibility to encounter any problem entering
> Canada with me student visa?
>
> Please Advise me.
>
> Atef Atal.
>
>