British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   What happens when immigration quotas are too large (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/what-happens-when-immigration-quotas-too-large-563332/)

Andrew Miller Sep 24th 2008 4:08 am

What happens when immigration quotas are too large

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...d-6a06649d4401

seanyg Sep 24th 2008 12:44 pm

Re: What happens when immigration quotas are too large

So is this what sparked the new immigration rules then? It's their way of restricting numbers (by only allowing in highly-qualified people who will have more chance of finding work) without actually reducing the quota... :confused:

Andrew Miller Sep 24th 2008 1:14 pm

Where did you get an idea that new rules will limit number of immigrants??? They are not. Numbers still go up. But in part you are correct - new rules are intended to bring first those who have jobs waiting for them.

The article is about allowing blindly too many immigrants who cannot find jobs. Nothing more, nothing less.

But the author also forgot to mention (or simply doesn't understand) that less than 40% of immigrant visas are issued every year to successful applicants and their dependents in economic classes. With statistical 2.2 people per application it means only about 70,000 immigrants to be admitted this year are principal applicants in all economic classes combined. The rest out of about 260,000 visa quotas will be given to dependents, sponsored family members and refugees. And this is where, in opinion of some who oppose blind quotas, lies the problem.

Even if most of visa quotas in SW class (less than 30% of all visas) will be issued to those with jobs or very good chances for finding job shortly after landing it will not change the above numbers. Still about 70% visas will be granted to those who's chances for employment are very slim and to those who will never even look for employment.

coolmum1 Sep 24th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller (Post 6815486)
Where did you get an idea that new rules will limit number of immigrants??? They are not. Numbers still go up. But in part you are correct - new rules are intended to bring first those who have jobs waiting for them.

The article is about allowing blindly too many immigrants who cannot find jobs. Nothing more, nothing less.

But the author also forgot to mention (or simply doesn't understand) that less than 40% of immigrant visas are issued every year to successful applicants and their dependents in economic classes. With statistical 2.2 people per application it means only about 70,000 immigrants to be admitted this year are principal applicants in all economic classes combined. The rest out of about 260,000 visa quotas will be given to dependents, sponsored family members and refugees. And this is where, in opinion of some who oppose blind quotas, lies the problem.

Even if most of visa quotas in SW class (less than 30% of all visas) will be issued to those with jobs or very good chances for finding job shortly after landing it will not change the above numbers. Still about 70% visas will be granted to those who's chances for employment are very slim and to those who will never even look for employment.

hi andrew could you answer me a question we had med in august and we have job waiting how long will it be before they ask for passports for visa we going for permant resadance any answer will be great:) all we know it is in progress, cheers coolmum

Andrew Miller Sep 24th 2008 1:42 pm

I'm sorry but nobody can answer your question - each case is unique and is being processed at it's own pace. Some are getting passport request within few weeks from medicals, others within months, while some have to redo their medicals because 12 months passed without final decision.

gibsonslanding Sep 24th 2008 1:58 pm

try these stats too.........

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/pop/mig/immLandC.pdf

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/pop/mig/immLandC.pdf

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/ls...mm/lmc_imm.pdf

seanyg Sep 24th 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Andrew,

I (wrongly?) assumed that the new rules will have the end result of admitting less people because not everyone will satisfy the qualifying criteria so will be weedled out. What you said at the end - about some people not looking for work - presumably this applies to applicants in the family class who get in more easily than those in the economic classes?

Cheers, Anita :)

coolmum1 Sep 24th 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller (Post 6815555)
I'm sorry but nobody can answer your question - each case is unique and is being processed at it's own pace. Some are getting passport request within few weeks from medicals, others within months, while some have to redo their medicals because 12 months passed without final decision.

thanks andrew i thought haveing job been approved gets you in ouicker so could you give me atime line how long you think it could be i know i sound pushy but kicking my heels as job waiting for me :blink:

christmasoompa Sep 24th 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by coolmum1 (Post 6815669)
thanks andrew i thought haveing job been approved gets you in ouicker so could you give me atime line how long you think it could be i know i sound pushy but kicking my heels as job waiting for me :blink:

I think Andrew already has given you a timeline - the answer being it could be anywhere between a few weeks to several months, or even longer. He can't give you any more idea than that, as he says, each case is processed individually so it will just depend. Just think though, if you hadn't had a job offer you'd still have years of waiting though so look at it like that!

Fingers crossed you get some news soon though. :)

coolmum1 Sep 24th 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 6815705)
I think Andrew already has given you a timeline - the answer being it could be anywhere between a few weeks to several months, or even longer. He can't give you any more idea than that, as he says, each case is processed individually so it will just depend. Just think though, if you hadn't had a job offer you'd still have years of waiting though so look at it like that!

Fingers crossed you get some news soon though. :)

ok thanks for that it feels like our lifes are on hold but never mind we will get there one day before im ready for picking up my pension ha ha :thumbsup: